War of Independence 1775 - 1783

Bathyskaff

reality researcher
Hi there!This is my lost scenario for CivIIIConquests - "American War of Independence 1775-1783".After the failure of my computer,this schenario along with several others was considered a lost forever, but was accidentally discovered by me on the DVD that kept my brother in another city (500 km from me)!!!
This scenario is important to me, 'coz from the very beginning, when I started playing CivIIICon, I asked myself, why in the classic Conquests "Napoleonic Europe" comes after "Age of Discovery" (without taking into account "Sword of the Shogun" - it's "local" scenario).I thought that Sid could make at least American Revolution with classical Napoleonic civ units (as he's made in Civ IV).Then I've made it, my first scenario about American War of Independence with classical Napoleonic civIII units.This scenario is the full remake of my old scenario,made from scratch. For this scenario I used a map of North-American continent;there are 9 players -
Thirteen Colonies,
Britain,
France,
Spain,
Dutch Republic,
Russian Empire,
Denmark,
Iroquois League,
Sioux.

Each country (except Indians) has minimum one type of guard infantry, couple of types of musket infantry,marines,minimum three types of cavalry (hussars,dragoons,cuirassiers),3 types of artillery units.Some units (Indian braves and General Staff officers) have stealth attack.Indian braves,pathfinders and some others can take POW (enslave).I've put war submarines and montgolfieres in the game, 'coz they really began to exist at this time.

Preview

France with Royal Flag

France with Bourbons' Flag

France with Royal Flag

France with Bourbons' Flag

Although you see on these screenshots the Russian interface,if you'll put this scenario files into your game,you'll get it in English.It's just because I have Russian adapted version of C3C.
So,get your independence with my Independent scenario!:trophy3rd:

War Of Independence

On first glance it looks really cool. The architecture (except Spanish which looks a lil out of place) is amazing. There's a lot of different units and ships. Even better all of their graphics seem fitting. A tech tree is nice. Primitive submarines and air balloons seem like a fun thing to look forward to.

The map encompasses a lot more than the immediate 13 colonies which does make it more interesting. The map has x wrapping enabled though. Denmark, Russia, and the Sioux appear to be jammed in just for the sake of it without relevence to the revolutionary war (as far as I know). On that subject I believe Florida was still under Spanish ownership even if occupied by Britain. I am disappointed both Connecticut and Rhode Island are denied representation. My native Connecticut may not have been specifically notable but Rhode Island did have a significant role in the war. Anyway most of the cities seem to be very well placed. The seaboard from Chesapeake bay to Cape Cod is a tough one to sculpt.

Bison and whales is good but there are no cash crops like indigo, flax, cotton, or tobacco. Instead of diversifying the resources it's just a steady saturation of bison, wheat etc from coast to coast. Silks and ivory? Ivory from whale teeth might count. I didn't know there was whales in the great lakes.

Overall glad to see it thank you for uploading

The architecture (except Spanish which looks a lil out of place)
and how it should look like in your view? In my opinion, it is very appropriate.
Denmark, Russia, and the Sioux appear to be jammed in just for the sake of it without relevance to the revolutionary war (as far as I know)
Anyway, I've seen a lot of scenarios of the Revolutionary War on Forum.They use only a map of East Coast of future USA.The number of players was from two to four (the U.S., Britain, France, Spain). These games were tactical (just to capture the city), while I like that the game has a strategic character.Just because I maximize the number of players.Generally, this scenario is not only dedicated to the rather War of Independence, it displays general political situation in the region in the late 18th century.I have a global idea - to create the scenarios of all of the major historical periods of 18-19 centuries (that I have already made).Sorry for Connecticut)
On that subject I believe Florida was still under Spanish ownership even if occupied by Britain.
The Treaty of Paris 1763 - Spain ceded Florida to Britain 'till next Treaty of Paris (1783).
Bison and whales is good but there are no cash crops like indigo, flax, cotton, or tobacco. Instead of diversifying the resources it's just a steady saturation of bison, wheat etc from coast to coast. Silks and ivory? Ivory from whale teeth might count. I didn't know there was whales in the great lakes.
I did not set myself the task to understand what resources are actually in certain region.Just that by actually doing in the classic scenarios of Civilization, where the ivory can be found sometimes in Europe and in America.The icon of Bison means cattle in this interface so with some other resources.I've deleted whales in the great lakes,thank you))

however, washington was NOT a city yet...
Yes,I know,it's not mistake,'coz at first I wanted to continue the game 'till the end of the 18th century 'till the next scenario "War of 1812".OK, I just fixed this,I changed Washington to Georgetown (founded in 1751),thank you))

I want to say up front that I commend everybody that takes the time to develop scenarios. And even though I don't have the skillset to do one on my own, I want to kindly offer some suggestions for improvements.
I think that it is a mistake to allow the British capital in Quebec. This gives too much of an advantage to the Brits in terms of efficiency and happiness. It is also more realistic to limit what units can be had from Europe and those developed in the colonies. Perhaps some units ought to be limited to Great Britain. Dutch, Russian, and French troops can also have the same limitations. As an example, I was constantly being attacked by British cavalry and hot air ballons from the Florida peninsula. It was hardly what I might expect given the geography and the fact that those colonies would have been populated by Spanish colonists. Allowing for city defections would force the British to focus more on holding on to them than using them to develop loyal troops. Florida was also barely inhabitable at this time due to malarial swamps and certainly didn't generate.
It's a mistake also to lock the Iroquois into a permanent alliance with the British. They might not be so willing to ally with the 13 colonies but they cab allowed to be willing to side with the French. It's also significant that the Oneida and Tuscarora peoples supported the 13 colonies. The various tribes west of the Alleghenies (The Neutral Indian Zone) ought to have the option of allying with the French with the right inducements and in reality they were never such a unified group. In this scenario the Iroquois are indistinguishable from the Algonquian tribes. This scenario will also do well to open up the possibility for more intertribal warfare between the native tribes.
I think it's also a mistake to start the scenario with war underway.
Every time I have played, I lose Albany and Maine immediately. Having time to reinforce those areas before declaration makes some sense. This might mean starting the scenario a bit earlier in time. (yes, this is starting to sound like civilization.) The 13 colonies can postpone war by supplying commodities, obeying trade embargoes, paying tribute (ostensibly for paying troops to defend against the tribes. War can be declared at any time as usual, or by creating the declaration of independence (small wonder) at which time the colonies are able to build city improvements such as iron foundry, naval shipyards, armory, which were previously banned, and can increase production substantially. It would be interesting to make the British AI focus on these improvement and destroy them, of course, if that city is taken.
It doesn't make sense to have thriving British cities in the hinterland. Iowa, really? Chicago was not even Fort Dearborn until it was built in 1803. I think that these posts and others ought to be populated by British fortifications rather than cities. Having large numbers of forts and the necessary troops to man them explains the heavy financial costs of the war. Saratoga, Ticonderoga, Michilimackinac are just a few examples that were key British defensive positions. Treasures from specific improvements based on (much limited resources) can be used to justify the cost of maintaining such outposts. (It is also necessary to be mindful that Jamaica generated more tax revenue from sugar imports than the 13 colonies. So where is Jamaica on the map?) Capture of these forts can be used to trigger events such as arrival of French reinforcements, European sympathizers, or an immediate development of a 13 colonies city when an immobile unit stations ed in that fort is destroyed.
I find that the air balloon unit is too damned powerful. Is there any evidence of aerial bombardments from this evidence? The other units, especially those with invisibility, need more description as to their special attributes. I would also propose a spy unit that can incite propoganda, cause defection of mercenary troops, e.g Hessians, and report on city defenses. I also propose that colonist units not be generated but be limited to a number at the outset; otherwise Spain can colonize the rest of North America and Russia all of Canada.
The last point is geography. The landscape is far too inviting in places for colonization with far too many bonus icons where there was only trees and rocks. Michigan for example was covered with forests and required ditching to make much of its land farmable. Farming did not develop there until the Erie Canal allowed for the shipping of excess back to Eastern and European markets.
This a great looking scenario with gorgeous looking units and I liked how it paralled the Napoleonic Wars scenario. I do, however, think that this adaption needs a sme tweaking to make it as engaging as that one.

I want to say up front that I commend everybody that takes the time to develop scenarios. And even though I don't have the skillset to do one on my own, I want to kindly offer some suggestions for improvements.
I think that it is a mistake to allow the British capital in Quebec. This gives too much of an advantage to the Brits in terms of efficiency and happiness. It is also more realistic to limit what units can be had from Europe and those developed in the colonies. Perhaps some units ought to be limited to Great Britain. Dutch, Russian, and French troops can also have the same limitations. As an example, I was constantly being attacked by British cavalry and hot air ballons from the Florida peninsula. It was hardly what I might expect given the geography and the fact that those colonies would have been populated by Spanish colonists. Allowing for city defections would force the British to focus more on holding on to them than using them to develop loyal troops. Florida was also barely inhabitable at this time due to malarial swamps and certainly didn't generate.
It's a mistake also to lock the Iroquois into a permanent alliance with the British. They might not be so willing to ally with the 13 colonies but they cab allowed to be willing to side with the French. It's also significant that the Oneida and Tuscarora peoples supported the 13 colonies. The various tribes west of the Alleghenies (The Neutral Indian Zone) ought to have the option of allying with the French with the right inducements and in reality they were never such a unified group. In this scenario the Iroquois are indistinguishable from the Algonquian tribes. This scenario will also do well to open up the possibility for more intertribal warfare between the native tribes.
I think it's also a mistake to start the scenario with war underway.
Every time I have played, I lose Albany and Maine immediately. Having time to reinforce those areas before declaration makes some sense. This might mean starting the scenario a bit earlier in time. (yes, this is starting to sound like civilization.) The 13 colonies can postpone war by supplying commodities, obeying trade embargoes, paying tribute (ostensibly for paying troops to defend against the tribes. War can be declared at any time as usual, or by creating the declaration of independence (small wonder) at which time the colonies are able to build city improvements such as iron foundry, naval shipyards, armory, which were previously banned, and can increase production substantially. It would be interesting to make the British AI focus on these improvement and destroy them, of course, if that city is taken.
It doesn't make sense to have thriving British cities in the hinterland. Iowa, really? Chicago was not even Fort Dearborn until it was built in 1803. I think that these posts and others ought to be populated by British fortifications rather than cities. Having large numbers of forts and the necessary troops to man them explains the heavy financial costs of the war. Saratoga, Ticonderoga, Michilimackinac are just a few examples that were key British defensive positions. Treasures from specific improvements based on (much limited resources) can be used to justify the cost of maintaining such outposts. (It is also necessary to be mindful that Jamaica generated more tax revenue from sugar imports than the 13 colonies. So where is Jamaica on the map?) Capture of these forts can be used to trigger events such as arrival of French reinforcements, European sympathizers, or an immediate development of a 13 colonies city when an immobile unit stations ed in that fort is destroyed.
I find that the air balloon unit is too damned powerful. Is there any evidence of aerial bombardments from this evidence? The other units, especially those with invisibility, need more description as to their special attributes. I would also propose a spy unit that can incite propoganda, cause defection of mercenary troops, e.g Hessians, and report on city defenses. I also propose that colonist units not be generated but be limited to a number at the outset; otherwise Spain can colonize the rest of North America and Russia all of Canada.
The last point is geography. The landscape is far too inviting in places for colonization with far too many bonus icons where there was only trees and rocks. Michigan for example was covered with forests and required ditching to make much of its land farmable. Farming did not develop there until the Erie Canal allowed for the shipping of excess back to Eastern and European markets.
This a great looking scenario with gorgeous looking units and I liked how it paralled the Napoleonic Wars scenario. I do, however, think that this adaption needs a sme tweaking to make it as engaging as that one.
1. I was not going to show this state of affairs in America at the time, I just wanted to give a broad picture of the time with the game by the name of Civilization.How can I limit the english units if I don't have English cities,where you want me to produce them.In fact,not only loyalists came from the local cities.The losses in the ranks of redcoats were filled out from the local population, including those of black slaves.This means technically I'm entitled to produce them in American cities.Besides,you probably will not notice that the first infantry unit of the British in the city was called British Colonial Infantry and it mean British troops from the local population or arrived from England, who have always been in the same city before American Revolution.The fact that this unit then upgrades in the Redcoat just said that from England began arriving new troops.
I could do so that German units were not produced in British cities, and just put them out there, but for me the more interesting when there is a greater selection of units.How do you think I would have to deliver them from Europe if there is no Europe on this map?:crazyeye:
By the way, I took this map out of the official Civilization III,I practically have not changed anything,so Sid's people put the recourses.;) And I have no Jamaica,so what? :confused: I already gave a very broad picture of the real historical moment.But I've put the Greenland, which allowed to bring into game Denmark :viking:
BTW,Sid Meier is not very well suited to the historical authenticity of his scenarios and maps.In the classical C3C scenario "Napoleonic Europe" there is the Russian city named Dnepropetrovsk,although the right name of this city at the 1812 was Yekaterinoslav (1776-1926) and town Helsinki instead of Helsingfors etc.It's like to be called New York as New Amsterdam :nono: I always used to correct these errors before playing this conquest.
2. I have no Iowa,no Fort Dearborn where did you find them?Milwaukee was just the name of that territory,where was the trading post.In America in that area at that time there were very few cities, so I had to get out.If you suggest another location at this particular area, I will gladly consider your offer :scan:
3. I can not display all of the Indian tribes of that time.Even in the novels of James Fenimore Cooper some Iroquois supported the British, and Delaware-Americans.I identified particularly the Mohawk tribe who, led by their leader Joseph Brant,sincerely supported the British.He was the British officer,so Indians have one British Green Dragoon unit :cool:
4. I do love balloons,submarines and other unusual units.It the fact,that they appeared at this time. I made them more powerful in line with people's ideas about scientific progress, which does not always correspond to reality, and want a lot more than you can afford and technical progress of their time.BTW, it is very funny :lol:

That architecture isn't fitting for Mexico because in 1775 the untamed wilderness did not host smoke stacks, factories, office buildings, or sky scrapers. I believe some of that might be found in the soon-to-be industrialized France and England.

Parts of the hemisphere that have nothing to do with the revolutionary war have a lot of victory points. Why does a city called 'Mohawk' have a victory point location but Boston doesn't? It's like the first thing that happened in the war, all the early action was near Boston. Rhode Island played a part later too. New England mostly doesn't belong to New England

Played for a while as France. They get settlers with 2 random stacks in the colonies. What do those settlers do? The stack can't do a lot it has no cannons. Also everyone has settlers and can build settlers. The pre-placed cities already portray settlement of almost a century into the future. New settlements don't need to be made for long after the war has concluded.

The cash crops were very important. The 13 colonies were built on tobacco and would not exist in their form without it. An economic dichotomy involving southern slave plantations displaced the north and the south and is still a major force today. Exports from the south to Britain kept the two countries connected after the war too. Did you have to go out of your way to take the tobacco resource out of the scenario?

For bison specifically I think they were limited to the great plains. What about using deer and turkeys?

That architecture isn't fitting for Mexico because in 1775 the untamed wilderness did not host smoke stacks, factories, office buildings, or sky scrapers. I believe some of that might be found in the soon-to-be industrialized France and England.
Where did you see these host smoke stacks, factories, office buildings, or sky scrapers? I just put the classical Mediterranean pcx of the Spanish cities :dunno:
For bison specifically I think they were limited to the great plains. What about using deer and turkeys?
Are you actually read my answers? I repeat - the icon of bison (buffalo) means cattle, a cow icon in the classic version of C3C.I was not very interested in the correct placement of resources.They all put on this map by Sid Meier, I have already written. Why you don't ask me about how I placed the units, as its uniform corresponds to the time,how it is good that so many types of cavalry and infantry, that there is a submarine and a balloon? :confused: You probably did not even notice that in the game are no specially made U.S. units (except from the "Cossacks") I specifically have to pick up similar units from other countries, because no one of the Forum creators of units hasn't made U.S.units for that period!

I did complement your unit aditions in my first post here. The military part is nice and I suggested adding more of the regionally significant resources.
These games were tactical (just to capture the city), while I like that the game has a strategic character.Just because I maximize the number of players.Generally, this scenario is not only dedicated to the rather War of Independence, it displays general political situation in the region in the late 18th century.I have a global idea - to create the scenarios of all of the major historical periods of 18-19 centuries (that I have already made).))
Perhaps appropriate resources could support the strategic character of the scenario? Adding trade to the game puts something else on top of the 'just capture the city' map with victory points on random cities. I mean like it's great how it is it'd just be a litter extra to make the scenario slightly better.

This is what I see in the game. It is the default industrial age architecture for Mediterranean culture.

just from your screenshots it looks beautiful. however, washington was NOT a city yet...

actually the name of that city zone could also be called Baltimore instead of Georgetown. Georgetown is a small hamlet inside of DC. if anything if you had to pick a town in the DC area it would have been alexandria becasue that was more of a city rather then a hamlet. but if you have the city name as baltimore then its the beter pick. it meets the criteria of actually being a city and also in the area of future washington dc. or you could go another route and just call the city Maryland. also dont worry about conneticut or rhode island at this scale both of thos states fit into a single land tile and would be part of greater boston area. aslo you put in detroit and thats a bad idea becasue it messes up the border in real life. you could put in fort Toledo in the tile south of it. this way when the americans take control of fort toledo the US-canda border wont be conficted by the americans controling toledo and automatically controling windsor ,ontario's land tile. fort toledo is a better idea. you would have to move seneca tribe to north of michigan instead. athough historically they were in neither locations they were in ohio someplace

I played as the Brits as far as 1782. Here are a few things I noticed:

1. cities are growing far to fast, you need to increase the food
requirement per citizen.

2. Tech tree should differentiated using non-era techs. The colonist
should have their own, another for the Indians, another for the
Europeans.

3 Some place name suggestions:
Toronto did not exist at that time, even Fort York was not founded
until 1793. The major British presence in the area was at Kingston,
which was called Fort Frontenac at the time.

San Francisco in those days was a tiny fishing village called Yerba
Beuna. The administrative center of Alta (northern) California with the governors mansion was located at the town of Monterey, which was established in 1770.

Top Bottom