Gauging Interest-A Modern Day Nes

Nuka-sama

See ya! It has been a fun decade!
STAQs (Soon To be asked Questions)

What is this?

A simulation of modern life, encompassing politics, war, culture, and technology. A roleplay where players will contribute to the game with their actions and stories. This is NOT a war game. There is no map, there are no stats. It will be your actions that will determine this world.

I don’t see Swaziland on here. Can I play Swaziland?

No. I am limiting the choices to the countries that I have predetermined. If there is a lot of interest and I have far more players than nations available, I may open up other nations in the future. In the meantime, I have over 30 countries available, and all the countries I have listed should provide you with an interesting set of issues for you to tackle, leading to prosperity or despair

How does the Tier system work? Do I have to take a Tier II nation if they’re not filled?

The Tier system is to help guide players in their choices. The list is based mostly on the nations impact in the world and how relevant they are in diplomacy. If you are new to nesing or you’re not sure this nes is the nes for you, then take a Tier III power such as Vietnam or Poland. If you’re experienced and you like the nes, take a Tier II power. I will be reserving Tier I powers for those who I am familiar with their work as an In Character roleplayer who has a good understanding of the modern world.

Can I play an NGO?

No

How long will turns be?

6 Months

If you are interested in this nes you should put a list of countries you are interested in (3-5). Feel free to ask me questions in thread, PM, or on #nes. This is NOT first come, first serve. This Nes will minimum not start for another week, more STAQs will be added as needed and more is developed

Country List

Spoiler :

Tier I

Canada-Lord Iggy
China-ChiefDesigner
France-Bombshoo
India-Azale
Japan-Crezth
Russia-Agent89
United Kingdom-Zeletdude

United States of America-SymphonyD

Tier II

Brazil
Germany-Nintz
Indonesia-Masada
Iran-erez87
Israel-Grandkhan
Mexico
North Korea-Patriotic Fool
Pakistan
South Korea
Turkey-J.K. Stockholme

Tier III

Argentina-topsecret
Australia
Egypt
Italy-Krzowwh
Nigeria
The Philippines-bonefang
Poland
Saudi Arabia-Terrance888
South Africa
Taiwan-Starlife
Thailand-lopaz
Ukraine-Mosher
Venezuela-Sonreal
Vietnam-m.t. cicero

Tier Swaziland

Greece-christos200

1. South Korea
2. Germany
3. Pakistan
4. Australia
5. Italy

List of nations I'd like to get (in order of preference)

1: Germany
2: Brazil
3: Israel
4: South Korea
5: Mexico

I'm curious to see how this will work. Sort of an original NES, where you just post stories in the thread?

1. Russia
2. Israel
3. Australia
4. Poland

Not many modern neses, this could be very fun.

1. Germany
2. Turkey
3. South Korea
4. Australia
5. Ukraine

Well, Canada is the 10th or 11th largest economy in the world. A better question might be why Germany and Brazil are 2nd tier, and Italy is 3rd tier.

Liking all of the interest expressed! Also, if you feel you have knowledge that could help you better roleplay the nation (I lived in the United States for 20 years for example) then feel free to let me know via Visitor message :)

@ChiefDesigner is confirmed as China from private discussions about the matter

Redact me.

1. Saudi Arabia
2. Nigeria
3.Indonesia
4. Iran
5. Pakistan

Probably don't have time for this. But since I slit my wrists several times with Nano and joining other NESes, one more won't hurt, right?

This might be useful. Remember it only stores for 12 hours and it has a line count limit. So don't wax poetically and download to save, and upload to post.

1. North Korea
2. South Korea
3. Vietnam

Changed it to NK/SK/Vietnam :p

I reallllyy want North Korea.

1. India
2. Mexico
3. The Phillipiones

Potentially helpful links (please feel free to point out how incredibly useless these actually are :p) (also, add more; this is all I could think of or find at the moment ... and no, I won't post the link to the New York Times or the BBC or NPR)

General

CIA - The World Factbook
Country Studies, Library of Congress
Election World, Everything About Global Politics
Britannica Online Encyclopedia
:p (click me)
Google Alerts (added by Masada)

Cartography

Library of Congress Map Collection
UT Map Collection
National Geographic Maps

Military

Global Firepower - 2012 World Military Strength Ranking
Army Technology
Airforce Technology
Naval Technology
Complete Air Force Overviews
Small Wars Journal (added by Masada)
NYT At War Blog (added by Masada)

Economy

The Financial Times
The Financial Times, Reports
Data, the World Bank

R&D / Science / Technology

Power Technology
Ars Technica
Science Daily
Nature Publishing Group
Science.gov

Other

Flags of the World

EDIT: Removed Country Reports (which used to be free) and Janes (which was never free), because most of the info there can be found for free elsewhere. :)

1. Indonesia
2. Indonesia
[...]
99. Indonesia

Starlife said:
Stratfor, Business Intelligence and Geopolitics

.... bwahahhaha. Really?

Masada said:
.... bwahahhaha. Really?

lol wut. If you're going to criticize it, criticize it for demanding a membership to read the god-awful articles. The reason I posted a link to Stratfor is to give people a handy listing of recent security stories (they compile articles and info rather concisely, despite the controversy); people will be forced to dig to find better quality articles on those stories elsewhere (unless they want to create a membership -- I don't recommend it, though my opinion is only based on the terrible quality of their free stories). Or did you not try to actually click on any of their stories?

You knew how bad Stratfail is and still recommended it?

Better alternatives include the NYT, Beeb or the Guardian. (Stratfail's main sources). The NYT's At War blag and SWJ are also good. I almost forgot Google Alerts, which are fantastic for news aggregation.

Top Bottom