Holy Crusade

Jarrema

Master Voter
Holy Crusade
redux

Game for at least 20 players. 22 would be nice, but more would be even better. I can cut some roles and mechanics, and go down to 18 players, but I woul prefer not to do so.
I will re-organize this post later, now I just want to open sign-ups

Some info
Spoiler :

First, this game was meant to be a mafia game. It is bigger and more complicated version of Holy Mission Mini mafia.
But, when I was writing more and more for this game, I decided it is closer in spirit to NOTW than mafia. It includes items, personal victory conditions, roles, other mechanics like choosing path for the team, etc. I also want to include support votes. So, I'll try to host it as a NOTW.

General rules
Spoiler :

General rules
1. Be nice to each other
2. Be active. If you do not vote for 3 days in a row, you will be replaced or wog’ed
3. Try to win. Look what you can do to obtain victory points. Victory of your faction is only part of your victory conditions. The more victory points you acquire, the better
4. Every day, you can vote for one player to be lynched. Vote should be in vote: Jarema format. If you want to change your vote, unvote first.
5. Instead of voting, you can support someone with your vote (it is like -1 vote). Do it in support: Jarema format
6. Many times, there will be additional votings (choosing one of the paths, voting for items). Some special rules and abilities are tied to them. Especially, some players cannot vote for this things. Details are revealed to characters who must know them
7. There are 2 types of lynch: ‘normal’ lynch (the player with most votes suffers 4 points of damage, in case of tie fight between players took place), and ‘majority’ lynch (player with absolute majority of votes – more than number of players divided by 2 – suffers 6 points of damage)
8. Every night, players sent their night actions to me. Every player can do something at night. Everyone can attack another character. Lot of players have special abilities that can be used at night.

Brief description of setting
Spoiler :
The Holy Flame Church recently destroyed a temple of demon worshipping cultist. At the unholy altar, warriors of Church founded four powerful and evil items, collectively named Regalia of Malice. Council of the wisest priests of the Church decided that these artifacts must be destroyed. Unfortunately, no mortal has enough power for such feat.
So, it has been decided that group of Holy Pilgrims will go and carry Regalia of Malice to the Citadel of Light on the Lowest Heaven, where powerful angels live. They surely can destroy the artifacts.
Unfortunately, some of pilgrims are corrupted by demonic influence... They plan to get Regalia of Malice and escape with them to the bottom of Abbys. There are also others, trying to get some power from these unholy artifacts.

Every player is member of one of three orders:
1. Order of the sword. Its members are called ‘knights’. Low rank members are holy warriors, who strive to become paladins or templars. Wounded brothers (soldiers crippled at wars) are also part of this Order
2. Order of the staff. Its members are called ‘clerics’. Beginners are called disciple, and they try to acquire title of priest or prophet. Spiritual leaders are also members of Order of the staff.
3. Order of the hand. Its members are called ‘monks’. Low rank members are called 'initiates'. Among more important members are martial arts masters, healers, and mystics.

There would be list of members of each order. Each order will have a leader. After his death, new one will be chosen by order members. Leader would have some minor abilities. Among them, his support vote for other members of the same college will count double. Being leader does not guarantee one's innocence.

Promoting to higher role
Beginner roles can be promoted to advanced roles. In order for that to happen:
1. order leader must be alive
2. Both members of advanced role must be dead
3. Players are not going throug evil lands
In such situation, order leader can promote one player with beginner role to advanced role. Of course, he have to know such player, and he have to spend night action on doing it.

About mechanics:
Spoiler :

Health points
Spoiler :
Almost everyone start a game with 5 health points (HP). Each night attack can cause a lost of 1 up to 6 HP. Each lynch causes a lost of 4 or 6 points. Character with 0 health point is dying. He cannot do anything, even vote. He must be carried by other characters. He will not recover from this state himself. Character with 1 HP is critically wounded, and cannot vote, act at night or fight. Most of his passive abilities cease to work. Character with 2 HP is severely wounded, and cannot act at night or fight. Some of his passive abilities cease to work. Character with 3 HP is moderately wounded and his night actions (and all fights) have a minor penalty. Character with 4 HP or 5 HP is in a (relatively) good health. Characters with 1-2 HP cannot walk without a help from character with at least 4 HP. Characters with 0 HP must be carried by two others. If there is not enough characters to help wounded ones, no travel happens.

If character does nothing at night, and has lower than 4 HP, he would regain 1 HP – at least during nights when pilgrims stay at some kind of inn, or other peaceful place. Character with 0 HP will not regain hit points from rest.

Attacks and lynches
Spoiler :
Basic attack causes 1 HP wound. If martial artist, disciple, templar, holy warrior, or anyone using Scepter of Vengeance is attacking, +1 HP. If paladin is attacking, +2 HP. If scepter is used AND attacked character voted for attacker last day, +2 HP. If martial arts master, monk or templar is attacked, - 1 HP. First attack at character protected by paladin, -2 HP. All attacks after first against character protected by templar, - 1 HP. Attacks made by moderately wounded character, - 1 HP. There are also some more modifiers, and one more or less HP may be lost due to poor (or good) luck.
Lynch causes 4 HP damage, 6 HP if absolute majority is reached (so absolute majority lynch should kill typical character, whereas 'normal' lynch will only wound him). If there is a tie, characters involved would fight with each other (with some special modifiers, but also with all modifiers described above).

Roleplaying
Spoiler :
Some roles tell how you must act. It is strongly encouraged to follow your role. Please, be a good player and try to do it (I, as a host, want you to try to follow this guidelines even if you do not want to). If you will not be able (or willing) to do that, then you will be stripped of your abilities (deities of Holy Light would be anger at you, and I, as a host, also).

Items (Regalia of Malice) are another case. You do not have to do what the item description suggest. As an element of game, and part of your playing strategy, you can decide to act contrary to item expectations (I, as a host, do not want you to follow this guidelines if you do not want to). But, there would be in-game consequences: demonic entities would punish you (I leave details to your imagination for now; consequences are different for every item and not nice, but also not outright deadly – at least if you do not have too much items…). It is why I call it a strategic choice.

Victory
Spoiler :
'town' victory is when Regalia are destroyed. Mafia win when all Regalia are in their hands or they are a majority of living players. Others have other victory conditions. Additionaly, each player have personal goal. Personal goals could be the same for more than one player

Regalia of Malice
Spoiler :
The most important items in game are called Regalia of Malice. There are four of them: Crown, Scepter, Orb, and Vestment. At the beginning of play, most of them are in hands of town-aligned players.
Each of Regalia allows his owner to use ability associated with it (it is different for every item).
But, with power comes price. Each item'demands' proper behaviour from user.
If character has more than one Regalia, their abilities are even stronger (synergy bonuses).
If character having any of Regalia dies, then this item would be voted for other person. Character having any of these items can give them to other person during night if he wants.
Character having any of Regalia scans as evil.
Character that has two Regalia is surrounded with aura of evil for the rest of a game.

There would also be items other than Regalia.

Services ('Masses')
Spoiler :
During day all party members decide what the evening mess would be for (or vote: no mess if someone prefers so).
Format should be: type of service, name of person. Like ‘heal: Jarema’, or ‘role scan: ATPG’

If at least one priest is alive (and not heavily wounded), he is assumed to conduct this mess. If he does not want to do so, he should PM me during a day. If both priests are dead/wound, no service would happen.
Possible services include:
a) Healing one person (for 1-3 points, depending on circumstances)
b) Roleblocking one person
c) Protecting one person (full protection against night attacks)
d) Scanning one person for his role (scum has cover roles. For example, poisoner would scan as a cook)
e) Scanning one person for his corruption (only possible at holy places; therefore two possible uses during entire game)
f) Blessing one person (+1 attack, additional +1 against monsters and corrupted humans; may vary depending on circumstances)

Travel
Spoiler :
Pilgrims will travel throug different kind of lands. Some of them would be civilized, other not. Some would be even literally evil or holy. At some points of travel, pilgrims will fight with monsters. At some points, pilgrims will have to choose one of two or more paths. For example: would you like to go through this dark valley? It will save you one day of travel…

Promoting to higher role
Spoiler :
Beginner roles can be promoted to advanced roles. In order for that to happen:
4. order leader must be alive
5. all players with chosen advanced role are dead (e. g. Holy Warrior can become templar only if there are no other templars)
6. Players are not going throug evil lands
In such situation, order leader can promote one player with beginner role to advanced role. Of course, he have to know such player, and he have to spend night action on doing it.

Sample role message (role not used in the game)
Spoiler :
Cook
Faction: Holy Pilgrims (town). Order of Ladle (advanced). Ability: You can heal another player for one point of damage. Once per game, you can prepare a feast. Instead of travelling this day, all characters would be healed for 3 points. Restriction: You are interested only in food and cooking (try to roleplay this). You cannot vote for other things than menu.
Victory conditions:
Evil artifacts are destroyed or all evil factions are eliminated (town victory): 3 victory points
You heal at least one person with 0 HP: 1 victory point
You see the place where Walgom the Pure fighted with forces of evil for yourself: 2 victory points

You are encouraged to role-play your characters during this game. You are also encouraged to make speeches, if you want.
Spoiler :
Speeches and Secret Voices - virtually extinct now from recent games but still part of NOTW

Why let the GM do all the storytelling without benefit of your considerable talents? NOTW's unique Secret Voices System allows every player to contribute to the GM's 'storytelling' scenes.

For example, your character may want to make a short speech just before the next unfortunate citizen is lynched:

"Ferpo steps forward. 'Mr. Mayor, before you pull the lever, let me remind everyone I was just guessing when I suggested we hang Loomis. If Loomis turns out to be innocent, don't blame me, heh heh heh. Heh. Heh?' The mayor rolls his eyes when Ferpo finishes, then pulls the lever. Ferpo was innocent!"

Will people be more or less likely to forgive Ferpo after his little speech? Who can say? So perhaps your cunning plans would be better served by a little anonymous rumormongering? You have the option of using the system to submit a short unattributed speech to be included in GM 'storytelling' scenes. But be careful! In NOTW games every tactic carries risk. If you choose to use your 'Secret Voice', other players have a chance to deduce or detect who is behind the trickery.

Every character is assigned a unique identifier, known only to that player. Let's continue with the above example. This time Brooklyn will try to spread a rumor using his "raspy" Secret Voice.

"Ferpo steps forward. 'Mr. Mayor, before you pull the lever, let me remind everyone I was just guessing when I suggested we hang Loomis. If Loomis turns out to be innocent, don't blame me, heh heh heh. Heh. Heh?' Ferpo finishes. the mayor rolls his eyes, and someone with a raspy voice mutters 'Pennybags voted to hang Ferpo because he knew Ferpo was a Prophet. He's a Werewolf!' The Mayor calls for silence, then pulls the lever. Ferpo was innocent!"

Your character can speak publicly, or your character can mutter anonymously, but your character cannot do both during the same scene. In our example above, everyone will know that Ferpo was not the character with the 'raspy voice'. Ferpo delivered a public speech, so he could not have been the secret rumormonger.

Comments provided by players will appear italicized, or in a different font, or color, or otherwise clearly differentiate these passages from those composed by the GM.

To participate, send the GM a Private Message in the following format:

Examples:
Public “May you find your fulfillment in the afterlife.”

Secret / Say this if the 'nasal' secret voice is heard. “Spoken like a real werewolf … friend.”

If the character with the ‘nasal’ secret voice mutters something this hanging, you will butt in and mutter something yourself, using your own unique voice. If nasal-voice does not mutter something, you will remain silent as well.

List of players (16/18):
1. Order of the Sword:

BSmith
JoanK/Visorslash wounded, one player have to help him
NinjaCow artifact thief, killed night 10
Spaceman templar, killed night 9
The Black Knight paladin, killed night 3
Topsecret

2. Order of the Hand:

Cardith Lorda
Civcube healer, lynched day 9
Classical hero
Dreadnought doom sensate, lynched day 11
johnhughtom healer, killed night 5
Southernking martial arts master, lynched day 7

3. Order of the Staff

Autolycus corrupted priest, killed night 6
Earthling demon worshipper killed night 7
Gone 3 the Celt disciple killed night 7
Mat93 spiritual leader killed night 8
SamSniped, prophet, lynched day 4
Xenoneb priest, killed night 5

4. Others

'Long Legs' Manny

but.. I just want to open those sign-ups
I didnt do that already, mr Ninja :goodjob:

3 small things:

Under HP, you say lynch causes 5 damage...under attacks and lynches, you say 4 or 6...

And victory conditions...if mafia wins by owning all 4 items, if town destroys 1, then they have to get a majority, right? Also, can town win by removing all mafia, or will that not be revealed/game continued until the items are destroyed?

For how some players must act, based on their role...is that they must say certain things (roleplay more in this way or that), or their actions?

I vaguely recall asking that last one in the mini version...if so, sorry, I've forgotten.

I will clarify rules later (tommorow I hope). thanks for the tips, Mat.
as for roleplaying: some roles have something like: you cant lie (it is about saying, and I can judge this sometimes) and must be nice to others (roleplaying - no way to measure that), and other roles can have like 'you cannot vote for someone voting for you' - so it is different for different roles.

If town eliminates all anti-town players, town wins (it is assumed players will reach their destination, sooner or later).
Regalia of Evil cannot be destroyed before end of game.

as for roleplaying: some roles have something like: you cant lie (it is about saying, and I can judge this sometimes) and must be nice to others (roleplaying - no way to measure that), and other roles can have like 'you cannot vote for someone voting for you' - so it is different for different roles.

Sounds good - Thanks for the clarification.

Sounds good to me. In.

Greetings brothers. I have been called upon this glorious quest and I shall join you in your endevor.

Interested.

first post updated. some info added, some changed

In.

Top Bottom