Immortal University 89 - De Gaulle

klonoklown

Civ Junky
Greetings, Immortals and would-be Immortals (and indeed any other players of any level), and welcome to the Immortal University.

Here is our Leader:

Here's the opening scene:

The following settings were used to create this map

And the Demographics for people to spot any info they can

Before we start, here's the copy & paste bit where I get to pretend that I'm TMIT:

To play, just extract the WB save file into your worldbuilder saves directory, then play it. Use custom scenario if you want some extra settings to tickle your fancy. This series was designed for people learning immortal, so most people here will be at that level or trying to attain it, although deity players are welcome also. Hell, if you want to play this on NOBLE. The intention of this and any other game thread I post is to get better. Play whatever level you need in order to improve.

If you are aspiring IMM+, try to remember to add archery back to the barbs in WB. Every time you don't, a deity AI will kill a kitten, although there are a lot of kittens so it's not the end of the world if you prefer easymode barbs .

I do request people to list their difficulty and speed. In terms of updates, well nobody follows that anyway. Post in the manner you feel comfortable. Typical comparison dates are 1 AD, liberalism, and victory/defeat, as well as any major events. If in doubt, go with that.

We also have an initial Immortal/Normal autosave which is much more convenient since you can avoid all the worldbuilder shenanigans. It comes with my personal seal of approval (not least as my worldbuilder edits may contain hideous game-destroying errors that could cause your computer to explode ).

Attachments

• IU 89 - De Gaulle BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    56.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IU 89 - De Gaulle.zip
    141.9 KB · Views: 100
I threw De Gaulle into the mix because I really like him as a leader. Great starting techs, and solid trait combination IMHO. He was last played in IU 73 on an Archipelago map, I thought he deserved an another chance with a different map type. No edits were made.

Ah, DG! I remember AZ's vids of the previous DeGualle IU. That was on a double gems start and he wonder whored like crazy. Very fun.

Well, a marble start + IND definitely means I'll be shooting for the Oracle, GLib, early NEpic, and lots of failgold. The only reason I see not to SiP is if there's seafood to the east, so I will probably move the warrior 1E to check. If there is seafood, then I guess settling on the marble will be fine.

What are DG's starting techs again?

Edit: Just noticed this was a Terra map. I've always had more success conquering the old world and ignoring the new, but that might depend on if there is a runaway ai or not.

Agriculture and The Wheel

Edit: Moving warrior 1E sounds good, I'll probably SIP either way, fresh water bonus is always nice.

Settling on the marble keeps the fresh water. No point in wasting seafood if there is any. Improved plains marble isn't that amazing of a tile anyway, and you already have hills for production.

Settling on the marble seems like the best bet. I'd probably move the warrior NW just to see if anything pops up over there since the presence of seafood to the east isn't going to influence my settling location.

Oh :blush: duh your right about the fresh water. Maybe settling on the marble would be better, one reason I started hosting is to learn, thanks MeowZeDung.

I would expect there to be another resource of some kind around too. That would mean something 2S of the marble, or something 2E of the settler that won't be revealed until later. It would be nice if there were horses since we likely need to go straight for AH here.

Played up till T22
Spoiler :

I'm not feeling this start.. We're on a peninsula blocked off by Justi, who settles his second city near our direction to boot, jerk. I'm only seeing 3, maybe 4 settling sites in the area. No horses or phants nearby to support a decent early rush. No early commerce to shoot for oracle..

I'm prolly going to built stonehenge for failgold for now and go for early construction if we have a nearby metal.

Immortal to 1000BC

Spoiler :
Well, yuck. Settled on the marble. Teched AH right off the bat since dry rice is crap, and there's no horses visible. Saw Justinian was super close and probably going to box us in, so I teched mining-BW. No copper. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I could have snuck a city north of the mountains and desert between us and Justin, but I think Immortal level maintenance would make that move a losing bet.

No commerce tiles to speak of either. Just a few riverside cottage spots. I abandoned any plans for an oracle attempt, and I'm forced to work some pretty crappy coast tiles just to keep research going at a crawl.

As it is, I have settled 5 cities with room for one more, and I am essentially gambling on The Great Lighthouse with five coastal cities to save my butt. The plan is to get sailing->masonry, and then writing en route to lit while building TGL. Somewhere in there I will sink hammers into wonders for that tasty IND failgold. That, and pray that IW reveals metal once I trade for it. If there's iron then I suppose I will try for a mace/treb war to break out of our peninsula. If there's no iron then???

I'm already starting to think that I would have been better off going writing instead of sailing->masonry. Scientists could have helped me out of this mess, but I wanted to leverage IND. If I don't get GLH, however, I'm hosed.

My save if anyone wants to offer any advice:
View attachment IU 89 - De Gaulle BC-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave

Immortal 1500AD
Spoiler :
Just played for 3 hours and have to stop now because i started shouting to loud :D When i declared von Justinian with Cannons/Muskets/Maces/Pikes in 1100 AD the obv AP vote came to stop the war(Pacal was AP Chief) and the unhappiness hit me so hard at some point i couldn't build reinforcements anymore and lost money on 0%. I wasn't prepared. Also his 12 Strenght Knights are really annoying.
I finally vassaled him in 1500 AD and got Scientific Method for free on top, but it was pain in the ass and just luck that he didn't peace vassaled :mad:

Immortal to 1000BC

Spoiler :
Well, yuck. Settled on the marble. Teched AH right off the bat since dry rice is crap, and there's no horses visible. Saw Justinian was super close and probably going to box us in, so I teched mining-BW. No copper. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I could have snuck a city north of the mountains and desert between us and Justin, but I think Immortal level maintenance would make that move a losing bet.

No commerce tiles to speak of either. Just a few riverside cottage spots. I abandoned any plans for an oracle attempt, and I'm forced to work some pretty crappy coast tiles just to keep research going at a crawl.

As it is, I have settled 5 cities with room for one more, and I am essentially gambling on The Great Lighthouse with five coastal cities to save my butt. The plan is to get sailing->masonry, and then writing en route to lit while building TGL. Somewhere in there I will sink hammers into wonders for that tasty IND failgold. That, and pray that IW reveals metal once I trade for it. If there's iron then I suppose I will try for a mace/treb war to break out of our peninsula. If there's no iron then???

I'm already starting to think that I would have been better off going writing instead of sailing->masonry. Scientists could have helped me out of this mess, but I wanted to leverage IND. If I don't get TGL, however, I'm hosed.

My save if anyone wants to offer any advice:
View attachment 340865
Spoiler :

I settled on marble. I did the same initial research path as MeowZeDung but decided to risk it and sent my 2nd settler to settle on the river north of the desert while researching pottery + writing. That city became a magnet for barbs and i had to research archery at one point, which set me back a bit. I did manage to build TGL and Parthenon.

The good part of settling north is that it essentially opens up 2 more pretty good cities along the coast, the bad part of course is that these cities cost maintanance. Im not sure if it was worth it. Im curious as to how the GLH strategy will work for you.

Evil map! :nono:

Spoiler :
Marble's nice, but commerce is going to be a challenge on the way to the Oracle. Doesn't help that Justinian spawns on a nice block point and could easily shut us in with two cities. On top of it all, there's no copper or horses for early rushing or even backing up an early worker steal.

Going to give this one another shot.

Immortal, continued to 1AD

Spoiler :
Chopped out the Great Lighthouse in 675BC and it definitely turned the economy around. Chopped all the forests surrounding Paris and dumped them into the 'mids for failgold. That made me sad considering I didn't have maths, but to my great surprise I ended up getting the mids in the late BCs! Woot woot! Naturally I have been running a hybrid economy ever since, even before that really. Also got about 200 gold failing at ToA, which helped me power through aesthetics and lit without dropping the slider.

Started TGL in Paris. No chops left, obviously, but here's hoping marble + OR + IND saves the day. NEpic will follow.

Diplo wise it's pretty cut and dry. Monty and Ragnar are fighting, though I don't know why since everyone, including them, hates Lizzy. Lizzy and Bismark are Buddhist, and everyone else is Hindu. It took forever to catch a religion, but I finally got hindu and converted. Only Justinian is pleased at the moment, so I begged some gold off of him. Even though he is a nice buffer between myself and the other civs, I still don't doubt that Monty's psychosis might lead him to bring a stack through Justin to me if he gets the itch.

Tech wise, I finished sailing + masonry for GLH, obviously. After that was writing->poly(I didn't want to wait for trades to get this since my cities had nothing to build after libraries, and I wanted as much ToA failgold as possible)->aesthetics->1 turn alpha->lit->currency->music

I traded aesthetics for alpha and hunting from Justin, then for maths from Liz. Backfilled minor techs from the others. We have iron!!! Yay!!! I'm roughly neck and neck with Justin, Pacal, and Liz in terms of research, and ahead of the others. Keeping lit to myself until I have TGL, and since no one else can research music, it looks like I'll get the GA in 5-6 turns. After that I think CoL->CS for the switch to bureau during the Gage. Then we'll see about trades for MC and Calendar before heading for Engineering. If it doesn't look like I can get a mace/treb army together quick enough then I will have to rethink things. Pacal has been willing to trade horse, so libbing MT isn't completely out of the question. However, I'd rather have more than 6 cities sooner rather than later. These cities aren't the greatest, and I might consider moving the capital later.

Speaking of which, I built a galley and settler to build a city on the islands just east of monty for some offshore trade routes. They are on the way to a clam/fish site now. Unfortunately Justin beat me to my preferred site, so here's hoping this one doesn't get taken out from under me.

This map doesn't offer the greatest start, but I think I've done an alright job salvaging it considering I'm new to Immortal with only one win. I just hope I can get the war machine rolling. I don't want to have to try a new world strategy to win this.

The save if anyone wants a peek and/or to offer some advice:
View attachment IU 89 - De Gaulle AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave

Trololololol.

Lost to a diplomatic victory one turn before my own culture victory. That's what I get for playing such a boring game.

IND + settled on marble makes oracle somewhat tempting (though teching masonry w/ low commerce first might hurt) and great library *very* tempting. It's terra so we know we'll be able to broker aesthetics once TGL is certain too. It should be pretty easy to put together some GPP for bulbs and work from there.

Spoiler map details :
It seems my last couple maps were pretty easy in IU. This week I decided to make it a bit tougher. :mischief: I did take a peek at the map in WB, but no changes were made. It's interesting to read this thread vs. the threads that people win the game very easily.

I'm going to give this map a go pretty soon, will post progress.

Immortal to 960AD

Spoiler :
Blech. Lost music to Pacal by one turn. Not sure how I overlooked that he had lit/drama. Lost TGL by one turn, also to Pacal. :mad:

That really took the wind out of my sails. I had plenty of gold from trading to backwards aztec/germans/vikings for gold and wonder failgold, so I was able to tech through CoL->CS->MC->Machinery->Engineering pretty quickly. From there I had a choice: go for late lib, or steel/mt through guilds for gunpowder. I had bulbed philo, so the lib path was tempting, but Pacal was teching like mad and already had paper for some time, so I chose to go guilds. Maybe if I had gotten music/TGL I would have had the necessary beakers and bulbing capacity to get to lib. It didn't really make a difference though :(

After machinery I spammed maces, and after engineering, trebs. I dowed Justin with a decent stack, and took his first city no problem. I kept one longbow, one archer, a spear, and a crossbow garrisoned there and started to move my stack towards his capital. Then his stack shows up in position to retake his city, and all those units were sitting on a hill. The position was unfortunate because my stack couldn't get back into the captured city, and couldn't do much of anything to mess with his SoD. I did what I could, namely bombarding his stack with a couple trebs (2% odds, only 2 units damaged :cry:) and upgrading the garrisoned archer and spear while moving my stack to threaten his capital. Alas, he retook the city on the next turn and fortified his capital with an equally huge stack. I just did not have the production necessary to keep this war going, although I might have taken his capital in the next 2-3 turns. I just didn't want to be bothered to struggle through a medieval war from an already rough starting position only to fall further behind in tech, and I definitely didn't want to switch to a "settle the new world" strategy.

Result: ragequit :mad:

I'm now 1-3 on Immortal. Tough transition :blush:

1000 AD Monarch

Spoiler :
Settled on the marble. Went the great light house and colossus approach, settling 4 coastal cities. With only iron I decided to oracle MC ,tech alpha, math, currency, then construction and machinery. Made a decent stack of crossbows and catapults while teching feudalism to vassal justy. After I took 5 cities he went down. He had the buddist shrine which was a decent 18 gpt.

Also I have engineering now. Not sure if I want to go the Lib route, (im tech leader) or start warring with trebs on pacal or raggs?

Top Bottom