Concept: CiV's 2nd expansion - Thrive And Prosperity - 5. Random Events

Deggial

Emperor
5. Random Events

5.1 General Concept

- In "Thrive & Prosperity" random events will be local (effecting one civilization only) or global (effecting all nations simultaneously).
- There will be common, uncommon and rare random events.
- Many random events will be era-specific. If those events are global, the average era of all civilizations will be computed.
- The events themselves are purely random and are NOT triggered by any of the player's decisions (SoPos, buildings, city placement,...).
- The random event's outcome, on the other hand, is HIGHLY depended on those decisions made:
  • City placement will affect, if a city is swayed by the random event at all. (EXAMPLE: Only cities placed along a river will be threatened by high-water.)
  • Buildings in a city may cancel the random event's effect in this city. (EXAMPLE: A bad harvest will not affect cities with a granary.)
  • If the random event's negative effect is avoided altogether (by having all relevant cities protected by the appropriate building), a reward is granted. (EXAMPLE: If all cities are protected by a granary during a bad harvest, there will be a "We love the king"-celebration in the capital.
  • SoPos adopted (and/or SoPo-trees finished) and national wonders built may grant additional choices to handle a random event and may very well turn an destructive outcome into something helpful.
  • Some random events will reward particular strategic decisions made: A positive effect will occur, if the player's science/faith/food/hammer per turn output exceeds a certain threshold. Global effects of this kind will reward the civilization with the highest output.
- After every event a cool-down timer will start. No new event will be possible during a certain number of turns (20 to 25 turns at least). After the cool-down timer reached zero, a new event will be more and more likely with every new turn (just like the birth of great prophets when the necessary threshold was reached).

5.2 UI representation

Picture: Hastings and York will starve for three turns.

- The event's title and an unique pictogram (CiV-style)
- event description (negative/positive effect)
- Depending on random event: building that cancels negative effect/is necessary for positive effect
- Depending on random event: complete list of possible countermeasures (due to buildings or SoPos); all possible countermeasures are listed. If the appropriate SoPo isn't chosen, the option is grayed out! (The player has to know what he might have done/may do in the future to avoid the negative effect or even change it into a benefit.
- list of affected cities or the reward (if all cities are protected).

5.3 EXAMPELS of random events

Event: High-water (local, not era-specific)
- Targets: cities alongside rivers
- Negative effect: -50% :c5production: for 3 turns
- Protection: city wall
- Reward: None

Event: Drought (local or global, not era-specific)
- Targets: all cities
- Negative effect: -100% growth for 3 turns
- Protection: granary
- Reward: "We love the king"-celebration in the capital.

Event: Plague (global, Medieval Era and Renaissance)
- Targets: all cities that reached their health limit
- Negative effect: -2 :c5citizen:
- Protection: aqueduct
- Reward: +10% :c5gold: for 3 turns

Event: Crimson Comet (global, ancient to Medieval Era)
- Targets: all civilizations
- Negative effect: negative diplomatic modifier "bad astrological signs!"; DoW possible due to negative modifier
- Option: If "Warrior code" is adopted: +25% fighting bonus for 7 turns

Event: Crimson Comet (global, Renaissance to Modern Era)
- Targets: all civilizations
- Positive effect: +50% :c5science: for 3 turns in affected cities
- Relevant building: observatory
- Option: If "Rationalism" is completed: Great Scientist is born near the capital

Event: Slave Uprise (local, Ancient and Classic Era)
- Targets: cities with more than one plantation
- Negative effect: one or two random plantation(s) destroyed
- Protection: barracks
- Reward: +2 :c5production: in all affected cities for 3 turns
- Option I: If "Honor" is adopted: no plantations are destroyed, but -10% :c5production: in all cities for 2 turns
- Option II: If "Liberty" is adopted: plantations are destroyed, but +1 :c5citizen: in all affected cities

Event: International Culture Festival (global, Industrial to Future Era)
- Targets: all Civilizations
- Positive effect: a 3 turn :c5goldenage:
- Test: Highest rate of :c5culture: per turn at this very moment

And so on and so forth. This is just a very small list of examples to demonstrate the general idea.
Feel free to contribute to the list! :)

Picture: England's cities are well protected! Nevertheless, there is a second valid option.

5.4 Remarks

In Civilization 4, random events appeared to be more or less an afterthought. The graphical representation was sparse and I never had the impression that the events were an integral part of the game.

I know that some events were only triggered, if the player had activated a special civic (e.g. a slave uprise only could happen if the player ran slavery) or special buildings were present in a city (e.g. a great engineer only appeared when a forge (or whatever) was built in a city). Despite this knowledge oft the underlaying game mechanic, I never had the impression that what happend to me actually had something to do with my previous decisions. I just felt like a passive victim of the random generator without the option to change my fate - in most parts, the only way to deal with negative random events was to have enough money on my bank to undo the results.

This concept tries to change this. It will simulate the "Test of Time", throwing random challenges and opportunities against the player. Depending on how well prepared the player is to deal with those challenges, he will be able to chose between multiple options and even turn a potential catastrophe into a benefit!

BACK to main page

I love all your ideas for CiV's 2nd expansion - Thrive And Prosperity :goodjob:

Especially the random events are something I would really like to see in CiV. Hopefully the One World will add them.

In Civilization 4, random events appeared to be more or less an afterthought. The graphical representation was sparse and I never had the impression that the events were an integral part of the game.

This concept tries to change this. It will simulate the "Test of Time", throwing random challenges and opportunities against the player. Depending on how well prepared the player is to deal with those challenges, he will be able to chose between multiple options and even turn a potential catastrophe into a benefit!

Truly agree with you here. Well said. :)

I made a topic about Random Events 'bout two years ago. There was some really good ideas from fellow forum members in there. I especially liked the one giving some graphical representation to the events:

I see portraits of the Great Fire of Rome.

Options:

1. Rally citizens of the masses onto chariots to evacuate the city. (Costly, very little negative effects)
2. Provide no help, but open the doors to your palace and allow all citizens to take shelter there for free. (Medium cost, a quite a few negative effects)
3. Fiddle on the roof of your palace while the city burns. (Maximum damage done to populace and city)

This way, they're named after major events. It adds more historical aspects to the game, while keeping the flavor of random events.

Thank you, Marduk. I'm happy to learn, that at least some people like my ideas! :)

Unfortunately, my somehow special "Random Events"-idea was an afterthought as well and was added to my concept way to late to have even the slightest chance of an impact on the developers. :(
Nevertheless, random events themselves are proposed for so long (obviously, as you started your initiative two years ago!) that I would give them a quite high likeliness of a re-appearance in "One World". We will see...

And we will see, how exactly their new incarnation will work. Somehow I am afraid, that everything will boil down to gold. Again. Because, you know, I would emphasize my quote a little bit different:

Yes, of course, multiple choices are an important part of my concept. However, this is not new: If my memory doesn't betray me, multiple choices were already part of Civ 4's random events. But those choices were - more or less - only between different amounts of money you wanted to spent.

What I really would love to see is, that your empire gets more and more robust against everything that nature/fate might throw against you while you build up your civilization.
This is not without example, of course:
1) The original "Civilization" board game (Avalon Hill, 1980): Disasters were "traded" via trading cards while dealing for resources. For certain amounts of resources you could buy "technologies" - and some of those technologies protected you against mentioned disasters.
2) The great computer game "FTL - Faster Than Light": Here, every new sector you enter contains a random event. Depending on your equipment or crew, new options will be available. Very fun and addictive!

Please, don't get me wrong: I don't say, money mustn't be part of my random event system! There might be events that ask for money to deal with the challenge. But I think, they should be in the minority.

There are combinations thinkable, too:

Event: Volcano (local, not era-specific)
- Targets: one city with a mountain in a 2 tiles range
- Negative effect: -3 :c5citizen:, 1-2 random buildings destroyed
- Option 0: No help; full casualties.
- Option I: Send 250 :c5gold: to help the victims → no human casualties.
- Option II: "Great Temple" built: Send 250 :c5gold: to help the victims. A money-collection in all cities of your religion will gain +25 :c5gold: per city.

---

What I really like with this concept, are the effects on game balance:

- Tall empires are strengthened, as it is more likely that all of their cities have the relevant buildings built. (National Wonders, higher production in large cities, no random building puppets!)
- A peaceful builder-style is rewarded, as buildings are favored over military units. And again: less puppets. (I for myself love the aggressive game. But it is true that this play-style is somehow easier than the peace-loving strategies.)

This models exactly what I want to achieve: Aggressive, militant and overstretched empires are less stable than small and focused civilizations.

Yes, of course, multiple choices are an important part of my concept. However, this is not new: If my memory doesn't betray me, multiple choices were already part of Civ 4's random events. But those choices were - more or less - only between different amounts of money you wanted to spent.

Yeah, too many money focused events. But there were total of 174 Events (Solver's events included) in Civ4 plus the Quests: http://www.civfanatics.com/node/136

Many really intriguing events that had nothing to do with gold. I especially liked the quests. In CiV the quests should heavily involve dealing with the City States (an addition to the existing quest system.)

Please, don't get me wrong: I don't say, money mustn't be part of my random event system! There might be events that ask for money to deal with the challenge. But I think, they should be in the minority.

What I really like with this concept, are the effects on game balance:

- Tall empires are strengthened, as it is more likely that all of their cities have the relevant buildings built. (National Wonders, higher production in large cities, no random building puppets!)
- A peaceful builder-style is rewarded, as buildings are favored over military units. And again: less puppets. (I for myself love the aggressive game. But it is true that this play-style is somehow easier than the peace-loving strategies.)

This models exactly what I want to achieve: Aggressive, militant and overstretched empires are less stable than small and focused civilizations.

I agree with you wholly here.

1) The original "Civilization" board game (Avalon Hill, 1980): Disasters were "traded" via trading cards while dealing for resources. For certain amounts of resources you could buy "technologies" - and some of those technologies protected you against mentioned disasters.
2) The great computer game "FTL - Faster Than Light": Here, every new sector you enter contains a random event. Depending on your equipment or crew, new options will be available. Very fun and addictive!

Great examples. Random Events should have same kind of principle as in the board game. Love the FTL - along with the new XCOM my most played game this winter. The core of that game is build on random events and it works so nicely! :)

Like FTL, CiV could benefit from Master of Orion II "hire legendary officers" type events. What I'm saying is there could be chance to buy with faith, gold, culture or even science an unique great person. For example; Hannibal or Tamerlane GG with ability to stack few units or something like that.

Many really intriguing events that had nothing to do with gold. I especially liked the quests. In CiV the quests should heavily involve dealing with the City States (an addition to the existing quest system.)

Honestly, I forgot about the quests! Special quests, usually not given by CSs could fit into the game quite well. SC influence could be the reward. Or possibly an unique great person, as you suggest in your next point:

...CiV could benefit from Master of Orion II "hire legendary officers" type events. What I'm saying is there could be chance to buy with faith, gold, culture or even science an unique great person. ...

I like the idea. Long, long ago and in another context ("Deggial's spies") I proposed "unique" Great Spies. I still would love to see something in this line, even with other great persons.
I don't see, however, so many uniqueness in other GPs than Great Generals/Admirals.

For the later, I could think of many unique features, though: Higher buff for range units (only) than usual, for cavalry and so on. Or granting special promotions, when nearby (e.g. cover). All this would definitely make every game unique and remarkable.
As a quest with an "Unique Great General" as reward, something like this comes into my mind:

Event: "Death from the far"; Quest (local, Ancient Era to Renaissance)
- Targets: One civilization
- Quest goal: Kill 5 enemy units with range attacks in the next 10 turns (15 turns, if "Heroic Epic" is built)
- Reward: Unique Great general [insert Name here]: additional +10% :c5rangedstrength: for nearby range units

Regarding this, however:
... with ability to stack few units ...
Noooo, no, no, no and... NO! ;) (Guess what: I am a strict 1upt-asserter :D. But this discussion doesn't belong here.)

---

@ civ54lyfe:
Thanks! And I don't see any reason why not! :)

Usually, I'm not a fan of the "customization is everything"-mentality. The reason is, that if a feature is fully and truly integrated into the game mechanic, it shouldn't be possible to switch it off without any severe game imbalance. (What would happen, for example, if someone would decide to switch off the happiness restrictions?)

But random events never will be such an integral part of the game - even if the conjunctions are way stronger than they used to be in Civ 4. (Like - hopefully - in my concept.)

So yes, I am totally for a possible user-customization here!

Top Bottom