LC's Deity LP #2(Sweden, Standard, Continents)

Light Cleric

ElCee/LC/El Cid
Well, here goes number two.

I went with a Continents map to mix things up a little bit; I personally find "true" water maps like Archapelago/Small Islands to be kind of silly, but it would probably be boring to see "Pangaea/Pangaea/Pangaea/Pangaea" on every LP, so Continents was a good option.

I did a little experimenting with some strategy choices in this LP, particularly with the wonders and policy trees. The main thing to see is "How badly can we abuse Caroleans?". We'll see how well it works out. :) This one shouldn't be as long as my China game in terms of videos. I should be able to get at least one more LP after this before BNW comes out, *maybe* two depending on how work goes(I work at a university, work slows down a bit when the students aren't around in summer :p).

Sweden
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4 TIME PARADOX EDITION
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13 - Finale
Previous LPs:
China

Nice first video for Sweden and some good early strategy tips there.

I've learned pretty much everything from watching your videos along with PrimEval and Yoruus. Impressive how efficient and effective you guys are.

Keep the vids rolling!

Hey Great Videos.

Is it just me or were u pretty lucky with the tech paths of the ai ? I often encounter composites earlier or I have to attack into land with hills or into an opponent that has a lot of units in his land. The result is I fail to take over cities because they can often oneshot a composite of mine if they have a composite garrisoned themself and walls. Result is me losing with pretty similar strategies. Do you have some advice what to do with heavier defended opponents around turn 60-80 ??

Hey Great Videos.

Is it just me or were u pretty lucky with the tech paths of the ai ? I often encounter composites earlier or I have to attack into land with hills or into an opponent that has a lot of units in his land. The result is I fail to take over cities because they can often oneshot a composite of mine if they have a composite garrisoned themself and walls. Result is me losing with pretty similar strategies. Do you have some advice what to do with heavier defended opponents around turn 60-80 ??

Well, maybe a little bit, but it's more dependent on which civ you're facing and that determines what I do. I know off the top of my head certain civs are very dangerous because they go for military techs or other annoying things. The main ones I can think of are Darius, Pachacuti(I've seen him at Construction INSANELY early), Nebby(Bowmen, highly spammy, very aggressive), Napoleon and Alex. Attila is kind of hit and miss, sometimes he just brings a bad army composition and fails miserably. Something else to consider is it's a Continents map, so the AI's tech pace is slightly slower.

For example, if Suleiman/Napoleon had been where Sejong was, I would have played things differently. I would have ignored Terracotta Army entirely in favor of more Archers to go into Composites; I could have had several more Composites if I had done that.. In the situation you described, I probably would have held my ground and kept his army trimmed down to manageable levels until I got to Machinery/Physics for some XBows/Trebuchets, because the terrain around Seoul made it harder to get multiple units in. This would let you get your Composites a good bit of experience. Depending on how much they spam, you may end up needing to drop a Citadel to trim them down and then push them hard after you've cut the spam wave off. Ignoring Terracotta Army would have cost me a bit of speed going through Honor, but it wouldn't be crippling because The Oracle is such an easy wonder to get on Deity esp. since I have Marble (unless Egypt/Maya are in the game lol).

All that is easier said than done of course. Maybe I can see if I can find a game where that happens for the next LP. :p

I think you edited your last video's clips on backwards :p

Yeah, I think this is the one I didn't get to double check because I was like "oh crap it's 7:15 I need to leave for work".

Enjoy your time travel folks

Any chance of a corrected re-up?:) If the chunks were longer it wouldn't be as bad, but they're about 1:10 long...

Any chance of a corrected re-up?:) If the chunks were longer it wouldn't be as bad, but they're about 1:10 long...

Hopefully we get to see a reposted episode 4. It has been very entertaining so far.

I guess I could try to watch it starting at the end and watching each little segment - going backwards.

Hopefully we get to see a reposted episode 4. It has been very entertaining so far.

I guess I could try to watch it starting at the end and watching each little segment - going backwards.

Haha, I tried that but it was too annoying, so I just watched the first half as posted (ie, backwards) and moved on to the next episode. :p

The problem is I don't have the original footage so I'm having to edit the output .wmv and move segments around.

I'll have a fixed version at some point, it just may take a while and I don't want to hold up the whole LP just for that(I actually have the thing almost done lol).

Aside from that, any civs anyone wants to see? I've been kind of poking around the "mid-tier" civs to see what I can get but some of them are kinda blah because I don't play them very often, like Rome and Greece and Songhai(remember when you could have t80 Mandecavs in vanilla? :p).

I would like to show off a wide game with someone like Rome or France or something, but the problem is A)Finding a map where you can even go wide before the AI gobbles all the land and B)Justifying it over going tall, because having a strong core of cities + puppets is very appeal in in G&K. I might play a tech game as well just to mix things up a bit but I dunno.

The problem is I don't have the original footage so I'm having to edit the output .wmv and move segments around.

I'll have a fixed version at some point, it just may take a while and I don't want to hold up the whole LP just for that(I actually have the thing almost done lol).

Aside from that, any civs anyone wants to see? I've been kind of poking around the "mid-tier" civs to see what I can get but some of them are kinda blah because I don't play them very often, like Rome and Greece and Songhai(remember when you could have t80 Mandecavs in vanilla? :p).

I would like to show off a wide game with someone like Rome or France or something, but the problem is A)Finding a map where you can even go wide before the AI gobbles all the land and B)Justifying it over going tall, because having a strong core of cities + puppets is very appeal in in G&K. I might play a tech game as well just to mix things up a bit but I dunno.

Eh, no rush getting the corrected version up - it will just be for posterity since most people following the series have probably already watched episode 5. In other words, take your time!:)

I would like to see another type of game (ie, not domination) but I don't really have any preference regarding leader. I suppose one of the G&K civs would be of most interest to me since I have less experience playing and watching them.

Maybe some civ like the Netherlands that allows you to go wide quickly? They have a great potential for interesting naval warfare (if that's something that can be interesting against the AI, anyway) as well. They're also good as a civ that allows you to keep at least some friends for a while instead of everyone ever hating you :p

How about a Polynesia small islands map. UA will allow you to go out and grab lots of islands before AI can.

Well I've rolled/found some maps and have a few options to choose from right now:
-Carthage, Small Islands, Preferred VC: Domination. This is Deity Challenge #18.
-Bablyon, Pangaea, Preferred VC: Science
-Songhai, Pangaea, Preferred VC: Domination via Mandecavs->Cavalry ->Tanks
-Ottomans, Continents, Preferred VC: Domination via Frigate/Janissary mix

You'll notice a lack of culture, that's because I find Cultural Victory on Deity to be both extremely difficult and boring. I think Culture is best saved for BNW when it will hopefully improve it.

I'd imagine with the way things are going right now I could get two done before BNW, possibly 3. This one is almost done(8 is uploading, 9-12 are ready for rendering and this should end on ep #13).

You can voice your preferences but remember in the end this is a dictatorship not a democracy :p

I'd love to see you do a Science Victory.

I don't recall a recent Let's Play focusing on a SV.

Long time listener, first time caller.

First of all thanks for putting these up. I learn tremendously from both your and MadDjinn's LPs. Yours are most helpful because you're on the latest patch and commentary is entertaining.

My vote would be for the Carthage islands map, which would be a similar replay of MadDjinn's version. Reason being that I have made (literally) 30-40 attempts (no lie) to replicate what MD did last summer, but fail every time. (Disclaimer: I played vanilla for about a year after release and only picked G&K up again a couple of months ago, and I have not yet managed a VC on diety. Water maps may be a challenging way to try to crack diety, so have given up on the island romp for now and reverted to Pangea maps until I restore my confidence.)

The reason behind the request is that since MD's Carthage LP last summer I think there have been several updates through patches which make this map much more difficult.

1) The privateer nerf with prize ship taken down from 100% proc to 60%. Not only does this slow down your ability to build a fleet but more importantly dramatically impacts how you take a city. With 100% proc you could prize ship an AI boat right outside their city to leave a decoy for city range targeting. With 60% proc if you fail you not only don't create the decoy but also have a good chance of losing your own privateer.

2) Resource allocation. In MD's LP iron is found on his starting island AND on nearby / adjacent lands. I believe also the same for oil. There must have been some patchwork done around this subsequently because in my literal 30-40 map rolls I have NEVER (not once) had iron on my starting island. And maybe only once or twice seen it nearby. Pretty much every time I have to two-step a settler halfway across the treacherous sea just to get my hands on 6 of it.

3) I speculate there also must have been some changes to the willingness of the AI to wage war on another civ. In the MD LP he easily pays off other civs to warmonger. I have had a much different experience.

So that's my vote. Thanks again for the tutorials and keep em coming.

Top Bottom