Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old May 15, 2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Oridan
Chieftain

Eurogamer article/interview with Sid Meier

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ltural-victory

I wanted to share this with the CivFanatics community, but I wasn't sure in which sub-forum to put it. Apologies if there's a better place for it!

Anyway, it's a long, interesting read in which Sid shares some of his design philosophy. Why not read it?
Oridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Arachnofiend
Perturbed Pugilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Meier
"We actually reject that point of view," he chuckles, leaning forward in his chair. "If there's anything in reality that's not fun, we will change it. There's no hesitation about changing the world, our vision of the world, our interpretation of the world, to make the game more fun. We're not restricted by what really happened or what's real. If it comes down to a decision between what's realistic and what's fun, we're going to choose the fun path and then rationalise it based on some obscure historical incident where the 300 stood off the Persians or whatever. You can always find some historical precedent to rationalise a decision you made. If Civilization isn't fun enough then it's not because civilisation isn't fun. It's because we made a bad decision."
Take that historical accuracy fanatics
Arachnofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Sid Simelia
Warlord

Great article, thank you for sharing.
Sid Simelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:45 AM   #4
The QC
Quietly Confident

It's an interesting interview. I liked some of the design rules that they quote there ("just because we can doesn't mean we should" etc.).

Ace Patrol is great, by the way. I seem to be seriously hooked on it.
The QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5
X the Magnifice
Chieftain

"We still remember that it's important to get the player's total brain engaged and not just the tips of their fingers."

That's why I have always vastly preferred turn-based games to real-timers - I want games to challenge my brain, not my speed of reaction. I got Age of Empires for free with one of my computers, but I don't think I've played it more than 2 or 3 times.
X the Magnifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Irkalla
ENTP POWWWEEEEEER

Sid and I would see eye to eye on many things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Meier View Post
"We actually reject that point of view," he chuckles, leaning forward in his chair. "If there's anything in reality that's not fun, we will change it. There's no hesitation about changing the world, our vision of the world, our interpretation of the world, to make the game more fun. We're not restricted by what really happened or what's real. If it comes down to a decision between what's realistic and what's fun, we're going to choose the fun path and then rationalise it based on some obscure historical incident where the 300 stood off the Persians or whatever. You can always find some historical precedent to rationalise a decision you made. If Civilization isn't fun enough then it's not because civilisation isn't fun. It's because we made a bad decision."
This is one of the core values I've laid down as Senior Mod Designer of ProjectCiv. If you want to make an accurate historical documentation, go write a book; if you want to make something interactive and fun, make a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X the Magnifice View Post
"We still remember that it's important to get the player's total brain engaged and not just the tips of their fingers."

That's why I have always vastly preferred turn-based games to real-timers - I want games to challenge my brain, not my speed of reaction. I got Age of Empires for free with one of my computers, but I don't think I've played it more than 2 or 3 times.
This "total brain engagement" leads to another concept of game design that I hold to be sacred. Not just dear or in high regard, but sacred. The power of tangential learning is amazing, and the Civ franchise has always been a shining example of successfully getting players to learn without teaching them. If we can help enrich the lives of our players learning, then we not only do something to give back to those that support us but we better society as a whole, one person at a time.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects. Robert Heinlein

Last edited by Irkalla; May 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Irkalla is offline   Reply With Quote