CFC Model UN - Development Thread

CivOasis

Ahuizotl
After some discussion in chat, a few of us came to the idea of running a CFC Model UN, which would be held strictly in an SG.

Long story short, each person who wished to play would take on the role of a UN delegate from one single RL nation, which, at the start of the game, must come from the current list of UN member states. There would then be a variety of committees, motions, etc., which would be what players create and actually do.

The game would progress solely within the SG, with the GM (and I have volunteered to be the first, if this idea takes off) keeping track of updates and lists for all to see. The game world would be able to diverge from RL, with contemporary RL events being drawn into the game, if, of course, previous actions have not averted them in the Alt-World.

Of course, in order to do this, we need some rules. A good place to start is the RL MUN, but there's an issue - I live about 170 km from the nearest major uni, and about 350 from the closest major city, so I've never actually participated in an MUN.

That's where you guys come in. This thread is where we'll work on the rules (and, if we can think of any that are necessary, mechanics) of such a game. I would like to state in advance that, while I'm not interested in a CityIOT or Into the Fire level of comedy/chaos, I don't think this needs to be nearly as hardcore as RL MUN.

So, with that, let the discussion begin.

Here is (IMO) a list of things that need to be decided:

Scale: What parts of the UN do you guys want included?
Should there be a cap to the number of proposals a nation can make?

Please address these topics, along with any others you think are important.

Sign-ups:
All players join as a delegate from their nation. Nations are first-come, first-serve, with the exception of the permanent members of the Security Council (US/UK/France/Russia/China), which will be chosen by lottery from the players who requested them. If you request a permanent member of the Security Council, please list a non-permanent or non-SC nation as your second choice. You may only request one member of the permanent SC.

Procedures:
We're a lot less stuffy than the real thing. An initial proposal may be followed with discussion, with up to five arguments being made in support, and up to five being opposed. After discussion closes, if no amendments have been brought forwards, then voting can commence, and majority rule succeeds.
You are required to post in character. First or third person is up to you, but the nation you represent must be somewhere in your post (even if it's just a name on the top or bottom).

Equatorial Guinea checking in. :)

Inevitably, we'll need five solid, reliable and knowledgeable players to take the five Permanent Security Council spots. The whole experience will be built around that.

To NPC or not to NPC!

Some questions discussed in chat:

How do we want to sign-up?
Should the Security Council be the same as IRL?

My thoughts on the matter are that we should keep the Security Council the same, and ask players to list at least 5 RL UN Member states they would like to participate as (probably capping the number of Security Council members at 1-3), and determining by random lottery.

Alternate option is just to do it first-come, first-serve.

Some questions discussed in chat:

My thoughts on the matter are that we should keep the Security Council the same, and ask players to list at least 5 RL UN Member states they would like to participate as (probably capping the number of Security Council members at 1-3), and determining by random lottery.

Alternate option is just to do it first-come, first-serve.

1. Best Korea
2. People's Republic of China
3. Japan
4. Australia
5. Venezuela

This is a development thread, just for the record. You guys can say what you want to be, but the more pressing matter is actually "how do we run this thing?"

I want to join, probably not as a SC nation (You know how uninvolved I can get at points), but I'm willing to fill in any major minors that need to be filled it, such as Israel or Italy or what not.

Israel would be my first choice, but I'm flexible.

First come first serve would be what I prefer. I suggest that we could have a vote for an alternate SC within reason.

Sadly, I've never participated in one.

Never been in a MUN. I know a guy who said he was in one, once.

Eager to try, willing to take on any role.

One thing that might be good would be to decide on scale. Do we want to do an actual UN? Security Council or General Assembly? Or a smaller scale project (such as some countries and some Native bands on the Arctic Council, or the EU, or the North Korean Politburo? Or, for that matter, the Council on the One Ring?)

I'm really uncertain. I was thinking the General Assembly, with some way of incorporating in the Security Council, but I didn't want to run the risk of leaving out some part that others might find more interesting.

As for the smaller-scale, maybe that's a better idea. We could certainly try to run a short beta on that scale, if we don't want to do the full thing/think we need to.

Sounds fun

This could be a lot of fun. One thing you may want to do is say 'no nukes unless I approve it', as a country would be extremely unwilling to go nuclear, and an ambassador can't be the sole decider of that. Furthermore, a crisis for us to reserve, perhaps a renewal of the Korean War or something (or aliens) could be a smart choice.

Yes, samel SC.

No, not random lottery. Do what NES do and give the more important countries to players that requested them and actually would be sensible in the role.

I was the US with 5 other people in 9th grade. It was pretty fun, except for the whole "being in NYC for a week" part.

prepare to die.
Requesting to be part of Security Council. Second choice is Romania
(I'd preffer to not be french or brit if i get in SC)

1. US
2. Japan
3. South Korea
4. China
5. Israel

Mwhahahaha! If I choose all major powers, you have to gives one!

Seriously, though, I completely understand if you don't want me to play any of these.

Top Bottom