Where is Poland?

Where is Poland?

• Total voters
Ordinary people having a lose-lose experience of an imperialist war isn't exactly unique, though. Certainly not enough so to justify silly poetics about how "our war didn't end".

It is silly to say that the war didn't end, but not really to say that the struggle didn't end, which is the national sentiment that was maybe incorrectly described by Domen (I'm not sure, I haven't been following)

It's said in the context of everyone in the west celebrating the end of the war and the freeing of cities and entire societies, without an acknowledgement of those of us still under foreign domination. That's where that sentiment comes from.

Freedom is also not an absolute thing. There are various degrees of freedom - not just full freedom and complete lack of freedom.

No state is fully democratic / free.

I do not agree here - You are either free of not - You cannot be half-free ;) And we cannot allow ourselves to think this way - because if we do the tyrants have won already and we are all their slaves.
Also in my opinion freedom does not depend on political system of government but on the rights that system gives to its people. So in my opinion being democracy or not does not matters - Civil rights, the labor and economics system is what matters. So I would accept any system as being free as long as it gives me my civil rights - including the right to say what I want to whoever I want, does not discriminate anyone which happens to have a different religion or a different race, and ability to make my own choices in life and call it freedom. If some of it is not satisfied I would call it illusion of freedom , which we cannot allow.

Freedom is also not an absolute thing. There are various degrees of freedom - not just full freedom and complete lack of freedom.

No state is fully democratic / free.
I don't disagree. But it's generally understood that "freedom", in this sort of general usage, describes an effective liberal democracy, in which their exists effective political accountability, strong civil rights, and effective free press, etc. What an optimist might call "the freedom to win freedom". These things didn't exist in Poland between 1926 and 1939, so it would commonly be regarded as unfree.

So the Bushmen in Africa have democracy ??? Original / interesting theory...

The Bushmen have complete absence of any political authroity. Yet I never saw anyone describing their society as democratic...
We tend not to talk about societies as simple as the San in terms of "democracy" because we prefer to thing of them as existing in some pre-historic state of savagery. However, if you read about more complex egalitarian societies, to whom authoritarian alternatives were clearly known, you'll tend to find the idea cropping up more and more often, to the point that in certain heavily-romanticised cases, such as the early cossacks or the Iroquois Confederacy, it's practically a cliché. Whatever democratic and egalitarian characteristics these societies wasn't based on any abstract theory, of which they had little, but on the absence of asymmetries of power great enough to support undemocratic or unaccountable authority. For them, "no man may hold another" was as much a statement of fact as one of principle.

And probably there is also some nostalgy for Russian Empire among many Russians.

They want to be citizens of an Empire and Putin gives them this false impression that they are part of it.
I think that any such nostalgia is for being taken seriously as a world power, rather than for the empire in particular. Orthodox and neo-Tsarist nationalists tend to distrust Putin as much as the Communists do, even if they may be more willing to work with him for pragmatic reasons. Most Russians to whom such sentiments appeal to them aren't all that picky about the details of the flag.

Ok, here I agree.

But let's add that the 1926 - 1939 unfreedom (or maybe lack of full freedom - but some degree of freedom was present) was not opposed by majority of the Polish society. Majority of the Polish society was quite content.

We should also distinguish between two periods - first one between 1926 and 1935 and second one between 1935 and 1939.

In 1935 died Pilsudski and Pilsudskite political camp broke into two camps, of which only one - Smigly's camp - won power.

After Pilsudski's death the degree of "unfreedom" became larger than before his death and the extent of freedom decreased.
Fair enough. I'm ready to accept that Pilduski's mixture of presidentialism and strongmanism was a unique one, and that the state of the Polish Republic immediately prior to the German invasion did not reflect the entire history of the Pilsudskite regime.

So there is no difference between the status of a slave in Ancient Sparta and of a citizen in modern Russia ??? :)

There is a difference - the citizens of modern Russia at least got their illusion of freedom ;)

I do not agree here - You are either free of not - You cannot be half-free ;)

There are varying shades of freedom. The state could for example limit your freedom of expression of religion while allowing you full freedom of expression or freedom of travel.

There are varying shades of freedom. The state could for example limit your freedom of expression of religion while allowing you full freedom of expression or freedom of travel.
Somehow I just don't have this feeling that this is my : "Give me liberty or give me death" feeling ;)

I spent father's day drinking vodka, beers, and eating a really good outdoor meal with my dad, my mom, and a bunch of other Polish people. I do this sort of thing with a bunch of older Polish people every once in a while and it's always a blast. Everyone gets drunk, the food is amazing, the conversation stimulating, there are a lot of jokes, a lot of stories, and nobody ever throws up. I got my dad a bottle of Polish Belvedere Vodka for father's day and he really enjoyed that gift. I enjoyed it with him.

There is just something .. very enjoyable about a social event like that. And I say that as an introvert. There was even a non-Polish guy there who married a Polish girl. His Polish was very impressive. He could understand almost everything being said. Every once in a while we'd switch over to English to include him more, because he couldn't say everything he wanted to in Polish. My brother in law is learning Polish too, and can understand a lot less, and say even less.. but in 10 years he'll be fluent ;)

I have suspected it to be a laugh but it was pretty amazing edit of that old movie ^^ :)

@warpus - way to go ! That suonds like a perfect celebration in true polish style ^^ :) :beer: btw. Your brother in law - He will catch on in polish pretty quick I'm sure, You just need to drink more vodka with Him ;) (I bet he learned all the swears like "huj", "kurwa" etc. at first :D ;) )

Actually, he's been learning stuff more like "Can you please direct me to the national museum?" and "Can I please have an uncarbonated water?" and "Can I please have a bun with cheese?"

but he can also introduce himself in Polish, pick up on things, and.. he's slowly getting there.

Actually, he's been learning stuff more like "Can you please direct me to the national museum?" and "Can I please have an uncarbonated water?" and "Can I please have a bun with cheese?"

but he can also introduce himself in Polish, pick up on things, and.. he's slowly getting there.

It's okay , just warn him about the swears so no one can take advantage of him not knowing this words and he would not repeat it when talking with someone important etc. ;) and drink more vodka xD , it's always in a good tone :D

Just FYI, I've decided to demote Greece into Eastern Europe, and promote Poland into Central Europe :)

Czech Rep is still Eastern Europe though, don't worry. Nothing's changed there.

I'm going to Poland next week.

I better brush up on my Polish.

Just FYI, I've decided to demote Greece into Eastern Europe, and promote Poland into Central Europe :)

Czech Rep is still Eastern Europe though, don't worry. Nothing's changed there.

Thanks man, it would really worry me to get promoted while Czechs arent obviously ready yet. It could do so much harm....
Meanwhile I just wait to see Britain get promoted to orthodox caliphate.

Top Bottom