Auto Annex bug - need feedback

dshirk

Firaxian
This bug keeps lingering and has been very difficult to track down. We've created a new tuner tab to track this down, and your feedback with it would be very helpful (provided you know how to use the tuner).

Basically, in the tuner, you select "open tab", navigate to the "debug" folder in Civ V, and select "Game UI". Then while playing, if you notice that the auto-annex bug has occurred (pop ups not displaying), take a look at this tab in the tuner, and it will show you which UI panel is causing the problem.

We've been looking for this one for a while, so if you catch it while playing, please let us know.

Hey, I've been plagued by the auto-annex bug since I started playing Civ. I found this thread a few days ago and thought I'd help out. I've figured out how to replicate it consistently on my end.

The UI tab stuck open is CHOOSE TECH (the bar you get on the left when you click the blue research button). When I get a new tech, I click on the big blue button to open the side bar. However, I don't choose my tech through there. I have a habit of then opening the tech tree through clicking on my science number and choosing a tech through there. When you do that, the side CHOOSE TECH bar is stuck open, yet invisible. This prevents popups (such as annex/puppet/raze) from appearing. Hope that helps.

EDIT: To add what you said from another post...

This is an unfortunate bug that we're addressing in an upcoming patch. One thing that may be causing it, if you hit "esc" to exit the tech tree, this can cause the pop-up system to fail, which hides that choice pop-up. For the time being, either avoid that key, or clear the condition by hitting "f6" to open and close the tech tree.

This doesn't work for me when it occurs through this method. If the bug is in effect, I can only get rid of it by choosing my next tech through the side bar.

I have problems with this aswell. I first experienced it in a DLC way before BNW was released, so I'm confused if this is a BNW issue only. See link for thread about the issues in my Korean scenario.

I think it has happened twice since I installed BNW. The first time I didn't use mods, however, this time I did use mods. I can't say for sure whether this is the reason for the bug or not, but my bet is that it isn't as this is the second time I expierenced the issue since installing BNW.

The strange thing about my current game is that I had a surplus of :c5happy: when I last saved the game but 38 :c5angry: when I reloaded it. Even more stange is that not all the cities have been annexed after reload, while my Korean scenario game did annex all cities after reload and gave me around 90 :c5angry:. After conquering a few cities some were auto-annexed while I got the option to puppet some cities. I was a little surpriced (but forgot about it) to see I didn't get too much :c5angry: after conquering the cities even though they were auto-annexed. It's like the game "forgot" to give me a penalty for the auto-annexed cities until reload.
Furthermore, I need to point out I didn't notice a penalty after my first reload. Maybe because only one city was auto-annexed before my first reload.

@Dennis
Could you explain how to get this tuner? Is it sort of a patch I need to download?

I wouldn't like to start another game with conquest and will spend my hours playing a peaceful game until a patch is realeased.

You can grab the Tuner by switching to "Tools" in your Steam client library, and then downloading the "Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK".

With regards to the problematic popup queue management, noticed that:

1/ Demographics.lua, GenericPopup.lua, and VictoryProgress.lua are all lack the call to "Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupShown"

2/ TechPopup.lua is calling "Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed" rather than "Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed.CallImmediate"

3/ the call to "Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed.CallImmediate" is done by the ShowHideHandler upon hiding the popup, but the problem with this logic is that popups may be hidden by the game engine when encountering a higher priority popup e.g. upon function key press and the call is made too soon, and once the higher priority one is eventually closed the lower priority one is restored, so Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed.CallImmediate gets called again for no reason. And actually both cases can occur, because e.g. when clicking with the mouse on toppanel item the popup has a low priority and does not get displayed until the one called with the function key is closed... And when pressing function keys in sequence it can quickly become a mess :crazyeye: it's actually surprising the game engine gets popups stuck so rarely

I haven't encountered the issue since I wrote the last post. I don't know if it is a mod issue only. It's the only time I used a mod up until now.

Top Bottom