Feedback and Suggestions

Kailric

Jack of All Trades
Post your Feedback and Suggestions here please:cool:

King Julien said:
A good king must be able to relate to everybody in the kingdom. I realize everybody’s problems are important to them. Im going to try and fix everything I can, even if it takes hard work and tough decisions which are two things that I hate.

I've been playing a custom game with only 8 players, because I dislike the crowding that can happen with 16. I've noticed that when I do this the other 7 players seem always to be natives---no other competing civs. If my impression is correct, you might want to change this so that one or two competitors are always selected.

I like what you did by allowing us to train heavy infantry to combat marauders. At present I'm suffering an infestation of marauders--sure are a lot of 'em! Maybe too many, I'll have to play more to find out.

I was just congratulating myself the other week on how I've transformed myself from being a kind of angry person to someone who isn't. For a properly trained-Buddhist, this self-congratulation always raises a kind of warning signal. In fact, I was right to be cautious, because I "get into" this game, and when things don't go well, I get really p**d! (Not a criticism, but an observation. Kailric has already noticed this about me.) Anyway, the Pope's ridiculous exactions do really tick me off. Maybe they go too far.

Another thing I've noticed is that Kailric has balanced the game well enough now, and changed the game length to 350 turns, so that a beginner has a decent chance of winning a game. Applause!

When you kill a raider ship that has a marauder aboard, the raider is left standing on the water when your victorious ship leaves. I can understand that, when your ship has no cargo space (as this time,) but I suppose the raider ought to just drown.

I don't know whether you can do anything about this; I think it's a problem in Vanilla Colonization too: The damn AI is "helping" you by moving people in a settlement around. In this case, I want food but the AI in its vast wisdom has decided to reassign my fishers to the court to make money. This happens whether I press the padlock key and get the "locked" icon on the fishers, or not.

I think there's too damn many marauders. I am keeping so busy trying to rebuild my roads and farms that I'm not ready for when the Pope attacks me in 45 turns. I'm playing 2.0f at difficulty level 3.

EDIT: Too many marauders. The game is not fun. The only way I'm going to play this game is custom, with the Saracens included out. :cry:

I got in mild trouble in my last job by speaking scornfully about "management help" when my Director was in the room. They say they're going to help you, but all they do is look over your shoulder and make inane, off-point suggestions. :)

:viking:
When you kill a raider ship that has a marauder aboard, the raider is left standing on the water when your victorious ship leaves. I can understand that, when your ship has no cargo space (as this time,) but I suppose the raider ought to just drown.

Ah, ok, I'll fix this is 2.0g

I don't know whether you can do anything about this; I think it's a problem in Vanilla Colonization too: The damn AI is "helping" you by moving people in a settlement around. In this case, I want food but the AI in its vast wisdom has decided to reassign my fishers to the court to make money. This happens whether I press the padlock key and get the "locked" icon on the fishers, or not.

Yeah, not sure about this. When you hit the padlock key all units should be stuck in place. If any unit doesn't have a padlock icon on it then the AI will move that unit around when ever you make changes. Any units you move around are automatically locked.

I think there's too damn many marauders. I am keeping so busy trying to rebuild my roads and farms that I'm not ready for when the Pope attacks me in 45 turns. I'm playing 2.0f at difficulty level 3.

EDIT: Too many marauders. The game is not fun. The only way I'm going to play this game is custom, with the Saracens included out. :cry:

I got in mild trouble in my last job by speaking scornfully about "management help" when my Director was in the room. They say they're going to help you, but all they do is look over your shoulder and make inane, off-point suggestions. :)

Like I said in the bug post the map you are playing on is Huge and you are the only Europe player so all the marauders are flocking to you. The game was not designed for this scenario. Also, You can build Strongholds and Mining Strongholds around your Realm and they will automatically kill any marauders. I strategically placed a few of them in the saved game you posted, see the screen shot for the results on the very next turn.:ar15::viking:

stronghold.jpg

EDIT: "has be killed" will be updated to "has been killed" in next update. Also, I plan to add the recapturing of gold by your strongholds if the marauder has any

I've been playing a custom game with only 8 players, because I dislike the crowding that can happen with 16. I've noticed that when I do this the other 7 players seem always to be natives---no other competing civs. If my impression is correct, you might want to change this so that one or two competitors are always selected.
I noticed in multiplayer (not M:C, as that doesn't work yet) that if you leave a player as "open", it will not be controlled by the AI. This makes a game without computer controlled Europeans as the placement/order of players tells who becomes Europeans. I wonder if you encountered something like that as well.

In singleplayer the order is Human player, natives, other Europeans. If you remove from the end, then you might cut away the Europeans. If that is what happened, then you encountered a vanilla bug. At least that's my theory.

If you remove from the end, then you might cut away the Europeans. If that is what happened, then you encountered a vanilla bug. At least that's my theory.

It is not a vanilla "bug".
It is simply a matter of correct balancing in XML.

If you encounter something like that, you probably simply have bad settings for the MapSizes.
(CIV4WorldInfo.xml)

Edit:

Just read again.
You are talking about removing players / changing the suggested numbers of players.
If you do that, you most likely have to set each player so you get to the result you want to have.

And yes, the placement usually is (unless changed):
Human Player, Natives, Europeans (+Kings)

I still would not consider that to be a "bug".

In the default number of Native players is defines in CIV4WorldInfo.xml in the GameInfo folder.

You can customize the maps by size to suit how you play.

If you usually play 8 civs on a particular sized map, simply change the value of <iDefaultPlayers> = 8, then customize the <iDefaultNativePlayers> value to reflect the amount of non-native AI players you prefer.

Myself, I usually prefer 8 players as well and have set the values like this:

Code:
			<iDefaultPlayers>8</iDefaultPlayers>
			<iDefaultNativePlayers>4</iDefaultNativePlayers>

Odd. I've won a conquest victory in 2.0f, but the military units tracker says the Pope still has land units somewhere. I had to kill all his ships to win. I don't know whether there really are units left or not, or where they might be.

Attachments

• Current Solo MT 2.0f game.ColonizationSave
    243.8 KB · Views: 367
Many thanks for helping me with the interrelated reduced-number-of-players issue and the too-damn-many-raiders issue. :)

Odd. I've won a conquest victory in 2.0f, but the military units tracker says the Pope still has land units somewhere. I had to kill all his ships to win. I don't know whether there really are units left or not, or where they might be.

Yeah, I have noticed this bug before. Not sure of the cause just that the pope want send over the last of his troops unless his ships are killed. Maybe with your save I can finally figure this out.

Playing 2.0g. Still getting this when I buy stuff on the Spice Route:

Assert Failed

File: CvGameTextMgr.cpp
Line: 9222
Expression: eYield == NO_YIELD || kPlayer.getSellToEuropeProfit(eYield, iAmount * (100 - iCommission) / 100) == iGross
----------------------------------------------------------
Now the program is looping, producing this message. If you tell it "ignore always" you escape the loop.

Assert Failed

File: CvUnit.cpp
Line: 6486
Expression: kCity.foodDifference() < 0

It would be a nice change if raiders would continue destroying dirt roads, but not rip up stone roads, figuring it to be too much work, say.

Another one:

Assert Failed

File: CvInfos.cpp
Line: 15607
Expression: i < GC.getUnitInfo((UnitTypes) j).getGroupDefinitions((ProfessionTypes) m)

... has been stuck at max. population 5 for a very long. This doesn't seem correct.

Attachments

• Current Solo MT 2.0g game.ColonizationSave
    191.6 KB · Views: 421
... has been stuck at max. population 5 for a very long. This doesn't seem correct.
See the attached photo, when your city is overpopulated you can't join but hover the mouse over the Join Settlement button and it will generally tell you what you can do to fix this.
overpop.jpg

Another one:

Assert Failed

File: CvInfos.cpp
Line: 15607
Expression: i < GC.getUnitInfo((UnitTypes) j).getGroupDefinitions((ProfessionTypes) m)

I think this has to do with using the Wily Trader as a Merchant as something is cooky going on there in graphics. The AI may do this but I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

It would be a nice change if raiders would continue destroying dirt roads, but not rip up stone roads, figuring it to be too much work, say.

That may be a good idea actually.

I started a 2.0g game using the standard dialogue, and the only map choices were Caribbean and A New World. Is this correct?

I'm going to try a custom game and see whether it allows me to choose the correct maps.

[EDIT] No, it doesn't.

Top Bottom