How to fight a successful defensive or offensive war and the prerequisites

MikeIII the 2nd

Warlord
:nuke:Wars are bloody, brutal, unnerving, and unfair. Russia decides to declare war on you. Using her vast reserves of manpower, she slams into your country. Your soldiers are fighting for their very lives! Meanwhile, you are launching offensive operations into Russia, becoming enveloped in a two front war! Unless you have a good economy and certain social policies or tenets for religion and ideologies, or you just find a way to make stuff work because you are that pro, don't bother. Just fight to the last man. But, if you heed this, there will be hope.

ECONOMY:
If you have a half butt economy, unit maintenance, building maintenance, and other fees will destroy you as much as a superpower. In the era of religion, it is IMPERATIVE that you get a shrine, and quickly! Then, get whatever tenet you like. I choose faith healers because you can heal units much faster and send them back to the front lines to put more foot to @$$. As for city placement, try to place cities near lots of rivers and luxury resources. This will yield ton of gold, and keep you above water in tough times.
Establish high GPT trade routes ASAP. Deals with other countries work fine. Now, when building trade routes, MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT WITH YOUR ENEMIES!!!!! Because if your major trading partner declares war on you, they essentially just put a knee to the back of your economy and snapped its neck. You will lose dozens of gold per turn unless you find a way to get trade routes back online elsewhere. In world politics, fight with all your political might to repeal embargoes that affect you directly or indirectly, or city state embargoes. This works very well, and will save your life later on. Popping Honor yield money for each enemy killed, so war could help you out in the right circumstances.

CITY PLACEMENT:
Place your city near a river and tons of hills and other natural fortifications. The enemy will experience their vietnam there, and possibly even lose the war.

BUILDINGS:
Build fortifications first of all. Second, beef up production so that you can spit out units faster and stay in the game. Make damn sure they are well trained, because a man with invaluable experience using rocks can defeat a group of brick-headed people with the most advanced technology in the universe.

TECHNOLOGY:
Have spies inside of cities to steal technology and try to catch up in the race to be advanced. You must have technologically efficient forces if you want any chance at victory. A rifleman will not last very long against a Giant Death Robot. If the enemy has nukes, pray to your god that they don't slam into you. Ruin sites yield one technology. Get it ASAP. Get religious tenets that favor technology advancement, use rationalism, and pop it to get free tech and advance your science capability. Research agreements are costly as time goes on. Determine your situation and determine if it's worth it. Science buildings and Great Scientists yield lots of science. The Great Library and Oxford University are great for this. But make haste. The AI will stop at nothing to steal every wonder in the game.

CULTURE RELATED TOPICS:
Democracy, Fascism, and Communism. All have their advantages. Autocracy is no doubt the best war ideology ever. The contents and what is does are self explanatory. Democracy is also very good, despite what the descriptions say. 25% production in military units. 33% Combat Strength in all cities. 6 Foreign Legion units spawn immediately with no maintenance cost. Pure awesomeness. Of course, the other policies are awesome for the task of nation building. As for communism, it beefs up your presumably large empire and adds production to the max. It REALLY builds your nation in an unprecedented scale, rivaling democracy.
Social policies like Honor will assist greatly. Exploration gives your ships more movement. Other policies fund your wars, or assist you in general.

RELIGION:
Defender of the faith, and any other war favoring tenets are great.

OTHER:
Military tactics are essential. Use great generals to build citadels or lead your forces to victory. Use the land around you to your advantage. NEVER attack when there is a stalemate and both units are near death. Your unit always loses. Keep your troops alive as long as possible. And kill as many enemies as possible. Nukes bypass everything, so make the most of them, and again, cause as much destruction as possible. Be sure to plunder, as this yields money, and heals your soldiers. And make sure you have the necessary resources to wage war. Get them by any and all reasonable means.

Hope this works.

Some genreally useful advices, but out of curiosity, at what difficulty are you playing?
I choose faith healers because you can heal units much faster and send them back to the front lines
On immortal/deity, with such a Pantheon, you are sure never to get a religion, so it will only help you in the very beginning of the game, before someone puts their religion in all your cities.
In world politics, fight with all your political might to repeal embargoes that affect you directly
Uh, if you got "embargoed" by the world council, chances are you are already quite isolated. Not sure how you'll get rid of this.
Build fortifications first of all.
I guess you mean in frontier cities. I sometimes build walls first, but only when i forward settle near a notorious warmonger to block his way to my lands. Otherwise, i think granary/library should still come first.
a man with invaluable experience using rocks can defeat a group of brick-headed people with the most advanced technology in the universe.
Soooooo true. Something i noticed in BNW, high level AIs tend to come with multi promotion units long before armories could be built. I suspect they have a new bonus for free XP. Be careful.
Ruin sites yield one technology
If you are lucky. Otherwise, it's a map or barbarian activity traces ... :rolleyes: That being said, ruins are nice and if you get enough of them, you have a higher chance of getting the "good" ruins.
Research agreements are costly as time goes on. Determine your situation and determine if it's worth it.
Almost all the time, they are worth it. If you refuse to sign one, the AI will sign it with another AI and they will get the bonus, not you. I only refuse if i really need that cash to buy something essential, or if they would give the tech boost after i plan to finish the game.
Science buildings and Great Scientists yield lots of science.
Yep, Universities are a must for their 2 scientists slots, that how you'll get your first GS.
The Great Library and Oxford University are great for this. But make haste. The AI will stop at nothing to steal every wonder in the game.
And if you play on Immortal Deity, you can forget the GL completely, you won't get it. Well, i managed to get GL on Deity once, in an attempt to get Theology as fast as possible (playing Mayas), but only because AI was extremely slow building it (i finished it on T35) and it was totally not worth the effort. :hammer2:

in my game right now on immortal I managed to get tithe and protestantism. It is a major religion and has saved my life many times, even against Russia who outnumbered and out teched me with nukes and stuff. Defender of the faith also helped. It just depends on the AI's priorities.

Mhh, maybe you were lucky or i was unlucky in all my games, but if i don't have a faith pantheon, i won't get a religion at all...
Did you maybe build Stonehenge or settled near a faith natural wonder?
Stonehenge more or less guaranties a religion, but i find it hard to build at Immortal, and impossible at Deity, so rarely try (only if i have very high prod)

Yeah, I wish every post was required to fill up 'Difficulty' it is related to.
Some advices are not applicable to immortal+

Mhh, maybe you were lucky or i was unlucky in all my games, but if i don't have a faith pantheon, i won't get a religion at all...
Did you maybe build Stonehenge or settled near a faith natural wonder?
Stonehenge more or less guaranties a religion, but i find it hard to build at Immortal, and impossible at Deity, so rarely try (only if i have very high prod)

i rushed pottery, built a shrine, befriended Kathmandu, and got my pantheon. the rest just happened as time went on, as I built additional religious buildings.

Top Bottom