Egypt Eternal

Circuit

Writing Letters

Chapters:
Chapter 1: 4000 BC to 3865 BC
Chapter 2: 3865 BC to 3115 BC

Egypt Eternal is a story based on a Civilization 5: Brave New World game, along with a slew of mods that create an experience somewhat similar to RFC. The plan is to play the game from the beginning of time until victory is won (and maybe slightly later as well, if I feel like it).

The base settings are Emperor difficulty at Marathon speed, playing as Egypt. But numerous mods have been added to create a truly unique and epic CiV experience.

Spoiler Mods :

So I'm playing with 42 opponents on a 180x93 TSL Earth map (I think my computer can handle it, and if not, I'll upgrade the RAM). Of course, they won't all start at the same time, as this has Gedemon's Historical Spawn Dates, but it should be an amazing experience and story nonetheless.

Should anyone desire to join me on this journey, I've included a save file with this post (so the random seed should be the same, along with other settings I picked that I didn't mention earlier).

Enjoy, all! :egypt:

[SPOILER="Proof of difficulty][/SPOILER]

Chapter 1: 4000 BC to 3865 BC

For millenia man lived in a simple, primitive state, scrounging from what he could where he could find it. But over time, humanity began to abandon this hunter-gatherer state. Some of the most successful hunters began to experiment with different means of procuring food; they began to notice that where the seeds of plants fell, a new plant subsequently grew. Could this not be used for the growth of sources of food nearest to where a gatherer lived, so he need not seek it out? Thus people began to plant the seeds of plants, and as this method began to bear fruit (quite literally), sustenance based on hunting began to transition to agriculture, the foundation of human civilization.

Spoiler :

The conception of the Kingdom

The beginning of history

These new farmers soon discovered that some areas were better suited for the planting of seed than others. Nowhere was this more obvious than in the northern deserts of Africa near the Nile River. Sand was not very suitable for crops, but the banks of the Nile River, with its annual floods bringing nutrients to the ground, were extremely firtile, and farmers there were very successful when the floods came. Farmers thus planted near the banks, living within walking distance of the river.

Spoiler :

People begin to congregate along the firtile banks of the Nile, land that promises a prosperous future for all inhabitants.

Man is a social creature, not programmed for an isolated life. Settlers of the banks of the Nile preferred to join with others settlers; by doing so, not only could offspring find mates more easily, the members of these new communities could benefit from mutual cooperation. These communities grew and grew as new members migrated from elsewhere and the offspring of the current inhabitants remained near the community. The community then began to develop a common culture.

One such community was the village of Thebes.

Spoiler :

As people come to a common area, a settlement begins to form, the ancient town of Thebes.

As a settlement on the banks of the Nile, Thebes was an excellent home for the farmers. The lands were fertile, with the sun (their god) rising from his great mountain in the East (which the Thebians believed to be sacred) to bless the community with His light. And the moon brought the Thebians the floods that replenished their lands and grew their crops. There was no better land than Thebes for the farmer, the members of the community believed.

Of course, while the backbone of the community was agriculture, not all were farmers. Some Thebians, not satisfied with the life of the farmer, remained hunters or fought off raiders who would come from the surrounding area and threaten Thebes. These men explored the lands around Thebes, the empty deserts and their mysteries.

Eventually, the party of explorers stumbled upon what appeared to be a settlement much like Thebes. It lay in hills not far from Thebes, but was nowhere near the river; in fact, the land was quite barren. And more forboding, no one came to greet them.

Spoiler :

Adventurers exploring the surrounding area of the new settlement of Thebes discover the ruins of earlier attempts at a permanent community.

Naturally, the band visited the settlement. Inside, it was quite obvious that the settlement was ruins. A nearby spring, which formed the basis of the settlement's existence, had dried up, and with it the residents abandoned the community. As the band of adventurers explored the remains of the settlement, they found that one ruin stood out above the rest; it was more majestic, held a central position in the community, and appeared to be important. This was the home of the settlement's chief. The adventurers brought back stories and artifacts from the ruins to Thebes, which fascinated the residents.

Spoiler :

The adventurers explore the ruins and find valuable artifacts that become incorporated into Thebian culture.

These artifacts had a profound impact on the development of Thebes. As the settlement grew, the residents had begun to notice that they were beginning to have difficulty coordinating their activities and ensuring order. After a village-wide meeting, the Thebians decided that they should take a lesson from the abandoned settlement and elect a chief, who would be tasked with governing the village. A man named Nakhti, who was a strong farmer and capable warrior, was selected for the job, and the village provided him with a home suited to his position in the village, much like in the ruins.

Spoiler :

Upon the Stone of Judgement, the Thebian chief decides for the Thebian community.

The Thebian chief lives in a humble stone hut, but still retains a place above all other Thebians.

The adventurers, meanwhile, continued to explore the lands surrounding Thebes. They discovered a great sea to the north, where even the Nile was forced to join, a sea far greater than even the Red Sea to the east of Thebes. They also discovered a land route to the sacred mountains from which the sun god made his home and from where he rose every morning, a mountain that the Thebians held sacred. Up close, the mountain was even more majestic.

Spoiler :

The Thebians discover a great sea to the north along with the Nile Delta. Much of the surrounding area has been explored.

Over the lands of Egypt, the Thebian chief Nakhti smiled.

Spoiler :

The new community organizes itself around a chief, who rules over the Thebian community with the consent of its inhabitants.

[I hope to get the next chapter up this weekend; enjoy until then!]

I probably should have said this much earlier, but I'll be looking forward to reading as much more of this story as you write (it's very good)! All those mods will make a very unique game experience, I should think, and I'm very curious to see how the world changes as the story progresses.

Chapter 2: 3865 BC to 3115 BC

The Thebian adventurers continued to explore the lands of the continent, choosing to go along the coast of the great sea. Desert turned to grassland, hills, and otherwise more beautiful country. The adventurers visited the sacred mountain on the peninsula beyond the Red Sea, the mountain where the sun made his home. Many worshipped before the sun's home, but none dared to intrude upon it and risk his wrath not only upon themselves but their homeland.

Months later, the Thebians encountered a community along the coast much like their home of Thebes. It was just as developed as Thebes, though the residents spoke in a stranger tongue. However, the Thebians and the villagers were able to communicate somewhat. This was the village of Sidon, and they made their living from the sea, like the Thebians made their living from the river. The adventurers rested in Sidon, enjoying the local cuisine and entertainment, being treated like chiefs themselves before they set out once again into the wild lands.

Spoiler :

Thebian adventurers encounter the village of Sidon, the first village similar to Thebes that they've met.

Meanwhile, in Thebes, Chief Nakhti's rule was quite effective. Under his oversight, Thebes continued to grow peacefully, and the Thebians were quite happy. He was just, settling disputes in a fair but authoritative manner. And when bands of thieves and vagabonds came to try and plunder Thebes, he lead the Thebians against the raiders and drove them off. He truly was the finest choice for chief.

But Chief Nakhti grew old, and while his wisdom grew, his body slowly weakened. No one doubted that soon the chief would need to be replaced, but many in the settlement disagreed as to what should be done to replace him. Discord in Thebes grew, many angry voices were raised in favor of one candidate or another, and soon the Thebians began to worry that the settlement would be torn apart the moment the chief passed on.

But one night, during a very vigorous debate, Chief Nakhti, who had been silent on the issue of his successor, finally hobbled from his stone hut to the center of the settlement, and the conversation stopped. After nearly a minute of silence, with the chief leaning upon his staff, his body tired, the chief raised his head, and his old youthful vigor returned for a moment. He said, "I have been chief for nearly as long as this village has existed, and never before had I seen such strife as I have in the past year. I never want the issue of succession to be as dangerous to us as it is now again." The chief then motioned for his eldest son, a strong man who bore a strong resemblance to his father when he was young. The chief put his hand upon his son's shoulder. "My son, Badru, shall be the next chief. And should he follow my example, never again shall Thebes be threatened by the death of a chief."

A month later, Chief Nakhti died, and Badru sat upon the Stone of Judgement. No one challenged him for the position.

Spoiler :

The modded Tradition opener.

Chief Nakhti's son assumes the position of chief of Thebes, establishing a monarchial succession.

While the lands to the north were well known, the deep desert to the south was still a land of mystery, where few ventured. Many grew curious as to what lay beyond, and how far south the mighty river Nile extended. It was not long after Badru took the throne that a new band of explorers set out from Thebes to see what lay further along the nile.

Spoiler :

A new band of explorers set out from Thebes, in search of new lands.

At the same time, Thebes was growing to sizes otherwise unknown. It had doubled in size since its founding, and farmers were beginning to settle on other banks of the Nile. The community slowly began to spread out, but Thebes still remained the center of the communities, where all traded their goods and congregated for festivals.

Spoiler :

The community of Thebes begins to grow both in extent and size. Many begin to live near a local oasis.

Spoiler :

The band of Thebian explorers encounter more ruins.

Spoiler :

In the ruins, the Thebian explorers discover a map engraved on a stone, which gives them knowledge of the area surrounding the community. It seems the residents were captured by marauders centuries ago.

Spoiler :

The land revealed by the map in the ruins.

Spoiler :

The explorers find strange weapons. After fiddling with the weapons, they learn how to use them for their advantage.

Spoiler :

The explorers begin to attack the barbarians who were responsible for the destruction of the village.

Spoiler :

To the east, the adventurers encounter a new civilization much like their own. Their chief welcomes them into his presence.

Spoiler :

The adventurers look upon the town of Assur with awe.

Spoiler :

The Thebian explorers in Africa continue to grapple with the raiders.

Spoiler :

The Thebians encounter the mighty community of Babylon.

Spoiler :

Wedged between the Tigris and the Euphrates, Babylon is a rich and plentiful land.

Spoiler :

The conflict continues in Africa as the raiders rally their forces.

Spoiler :

The Thebians react to mismanagement of the chief with revolution, disposing him and electing a new chief to rule in his place.

Spoiler :

After a long and brutal battle, the raiders surrender and the Thebians plunder their camp.

Spoiler :

The spoils are quite lucrative.

Spoiler :

The explorers meet another community, and upon telling their tale of Thebes to the villagers, the chief and his tribe decide to join Thebes.

Spoiler :

Babylon continues to grow, and eventually becomes much more than a simple town; it becomes a county.

Spoiler :

The explorers find more artifacts in another abandoned village, which contribute to the cultural advancement of Thebes.

Spoiler :

A camp of raiders is discovered on the neighboring peninsula, in somewhat close proximity to Thebes.

Spoiler :

The Aten Division defeats more tribes in Africa, bringing lots of plunder to Thebes.

Spoiler :

Once again, the Aten Division's exploration of Africa has brought much wealth to Thebes.

Spoiler :

Along the banks of the Nile, Thebes grows to a powerful, sizeable community.

Spoiler :

The Aten Division encounters another village, this one in close proximity to plunderers.

Spoiler :

In the community, a priestess imparts great stories of deserts that marvel the explorers.

Spoiler :

In another village, the simple community decides, after hearing the stories of Thebes, that they desire to move there as well.

Spoiler :

The Thebians began to tell stories of the desert, which evolved into a lore passed down from generation to generation.

Top Bottom