A general strategy for Indonesia

megabearsfan

Prince
I have just published part 3 in my series of BNW strategy guides. This one deals with Indonesia.

http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2014/01/17/Civ-V-Indonesia-strategy.aspx

It's rather long and complicated, since Indonesia is a complicated civ. I hope it isn't too difficult to follow-along.

As always, I appreciate any feedback. Feel free to post in this topic or in the comments section of the linked blog. I will also be opening a topic on the official 2k forums.

Thanks! :)

glancing through, These facts concerning the UA are wrong, unless they've been changed since the Candi was no longer dependent on rivers
Conquered and annexed cities do not spawn the unique luxuries.
Indonesia must settle on four distinct land masses
So long as the cities are not on the same continent as the capital, they'll produce the resource.

Edit: Tested it and you're right, when did they change it? This is really unfortunate news for them :sad:
Spoiler :

Also under the Enemy blade section, it might be worth pointing out that there is an achievement for capturing a city with one.

Founder beliefs of capital cities apply? Or is this just an interfaith dialog thing?

I think it's a glitch with Interfaith Dialogue. It actually seems to apply to ANY missionary belonging to that religion (regardless of whether you control the Holy City or not).

Also, you should mention that trade routes help you get additional religions or prioritize a certain secondary religion... No need to take over holy cities.

I did mention that briefly in the wonders section (regarding Colossus and Petra). I added an extra sentence or two to the religious section. Thanks for the advice!

Ah, I see. Nice guides, btw! Makes me want finally play an Assyria game.

Assyria is still my favorite of the BNW civs. I highly recommend giving them a try! Assyria is really good for when you feel like going up a difficulty level, since their UA actually gives you a benefit from falling behind technologically. You can use your military to turn all the A.I.'s research handicaps into your benefit.

That's a great guide. I've played Indonesia a few times now. I am quite drawn to them and really want to like them.

The UA, UU and UB as you've pointed out are not terribly synergistic. I've either lost a city due to being too spread out, never used a Kris, failed to find reasonable city spot on a different continent, hardly had any religious presence in my cities...

Reading your guide has encouraged me to give them one more go. I think I've neglected to use trade routes appropriately to recive incoming religions so that's a helpful point right there. I like the bit in your guide where you link appropriate wonders, that's quite helpful as well.

Oh, it may be appropriate to include in your guide that you get a steam achievement for capturing a Capital with a Kris with the upgrade that hits you for 20HP in enemy territory (enemy blades?)

What would be the suggested victory type you should be aiming for with Indonesia? Or is there no real answer to that question?

For example in your venice guide you suggest Diplomatic and Domination as better options for them, anything along those llines for Indonesia?

What would be the suggested victory type you should be aiming for with Indonesia? Or is there no real answer to that question?

For example in your venice guide you suggest Diplomatic and Domination as better options for them, anything along those llines for Indonesia?

They can basically do any VC, Venice is unique in that there are significant disadvantages for CVs, you can't gold buy archaeologists and the Puppets wont build them and the AI will prioritize gold over science so it makes it more difficult for SVs

Indonesia is flexible enough to compete for any victory. It all depends on which religious beliefs you get access too. The Candi will provide a strong faith output that most other civs can't beat unless they get a very ideal map, so Indonesia should be a leader in terms of faith output. Depending on your beliefs, you can use that faith to buy units, great people, science buildings, etc.

Indonesia's UB main advantage is that it can be built anywhere which will give them a great people production bonus (equally applicable for all victory conditions). The faith bonus for having multiple religions present is also equally applicable.
Indirectly, it makes the Religious Follower belief giving happiness to Gardens very useful instead of useless, which also applies helps all victory conditions.

Indonesia's UA is a happiness & gold advantage [if there's multiple landmasses], also helps all victory conditions.

Indonesia's UU is sometimes better than the base unit but sometimes worse so you might not mind not having a local Iron source as much as being another civ with an Iron UU.

I had a fun archipelago game once with Indonesia where I went full Piety, and had trade routes with everyone to get extra religious pressure coming in (which is usually a bad thing). You end up with a lot of extra faith with the Candi, up to 8fpt if all 4 other religions are present. I think I parked Inquisitors in some cities to ward of GP conversions.

Top Bottom