Barbarian Immersion Enhancements

Leugi

Supreme Libertador
Well, it's been a while since I made anything different than a civ. Here I present you the Barbarian Immersion Enhancements! (which I will be referring as BarbIE just for fun), made as a homage to the great Barbarian civilization mods that were released recently by several peoples. The idea is to make "Barbarians" fit a bit more into later game stuff, plus making them a bit harder (not much). For now this means, changing the name of barbarian units depending on era, adding some bonuses when that happens and adding a slight chance for generals. In the future I plan to add some E&D support.

As a side note, I had to change the notification icon so it could fit different eras betterly (no more brute icon)

Spoiler screenshots :

Era Names:
Changes the Barbarian names according to Era:
  • Ancient and Classical: Barbarians
  • Medieval: Brigands
  • Renassaince: Pirates
  • Industrial and Modern: Rebels
  • Atomic and Information: Terrorists

Era Promotions:
Adds unique Barbarian Promotions according to Era:
  • Barbarian: No bonuses.
  • Brigand: Ignores Terrain Cost and Withdraws
  • Pirate: May embark and receives naval bonuses.
  • Rebel: May embark, can capture enemy units to their side and may move after pillaging.
  • Terrorist: May embark. May move after pillaging and has increased attack against cities.

Barbarian Generals:
Adds a slight chance for Barbarian Generals to appear at encampements. Generals make encampments harder to conquer (allowing Barbarians to heal) but also grant more Gold and some Culture when captured.

Notes:
All three features may be enabled or disabled through the Leugi_Barbarian_Settings.lua file.

If you experience lag when switching Era Names disable the settings_BarbarianChangeAll option.

Also, this mod is likely incompatible with any mod that changes the Barbarian Reward Popup (not that I have seen any mod changing that before)

Special Thanks to:
Sukritact (who made the Barbarian notification icon, taken with permission from JFD's amazing Germans mod); Tomatekh (who helped with testing)

Please post any issue you encounter as this is highly experimental right now. There's lag in big quantities when updating the database (depending on the computer) so please remember to change the settings if your lag is too high.

"Rampant"?
Will I See "Rampant Bazooka"? :D

Good idea btw, more flavour is always better.

@Dr.McGann: It actually does, but not without issue. The text for "Encampment" changes to "Base" from the industrial era, however the improvements on the map itself do not always change themselves. Still looking for a way to fix that.

@hokath: I've seen the Rampant word mentioned quite a bit... What is exactly a Rampant in this context?

I feel that the connotations of 'Terrorist' is awkward but I'll use it and see how it goes. Great idea, I felt that having them called 'Barbarians' past the Classical Age was pretty anachronistic.
How about changing the Industrial name to 'Anarchists'? It may fit better with the age.

Having the ability to embark will make things a lot more interesting.

@Dr.McGann: It actually does, but not without issue. The text for "Encampment" changes to "Base" from the industrial era, however the improvements on the map itself do not always change themselves. Still looking for a way to fix that.

@hokath: I've seen the Rampant word mentioned quite a bit... What is exactly a Rampant in this context?

Awesome!

Well, this mod makes barbarians OP.
It also gives me 1more, no, 2 more. 2 more reasons to play with JFD's Germans.

I feel that the connotations of 'Terrorist' is awkward but I'll use it and see how it goes. Great idea, I felt that having them called 'Barbarians' past the Classical Age was pretty anachronistic.
How about changing the Industrial name to 'Anarchists'? It may fit better with the age.

Considering Barbs' colors are black and red, calling them Anarchists in the Industrial era could be totally appropriate.

EDIT: file unavailable to download? Well done, Leugi, you broke the internet.

Taking a quick look at your mod I think it will be completely incompatible with mine here since all mine does for the most part is crank up the rates at which camps and barbs within / next-to camps are spawned. Any ideas on what/if could be done to make mine compatible, other than to include a reference to yours so that it loads 1st? Though will that likely break yours in such a case ?

The sum total of my mod's code:
Spoiler :
Code:
<GameData>
	<Worlds>
		<!-- original value "13" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="WORLDSIZE_DUEL" />
			<Set FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp="10" />
		</Update>
		<!-- original value "18" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="WORLDSIZE_TINY" />
			<Set FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp="15" />
		</Update>
		<!-- original value "23" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="WORLDSIZE_SMALL" />
			<Set FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp="20" />
		</Update>
		<!-- original value "27" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="WORLDSIZE_STANDARD" />
			<Set FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp="24" />
		</Update>
		<!-- original value "30" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="WORLDSIZE_LARGE" />
			<Set FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp="27" />
		</Update>
		<!-- original value "35" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="WORLDSIZE_HUGE" />
			<Set FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp="30" />
		</Update>
	</Worlds>

<GameSpeeds>
		<!-- lower settings mean more barbarians -->
		<!-- original value "400" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="GAMESPEED_MARATHON" />
			<Set BarbPercent="300" />
		</Update>
		<!-- original value "150" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="GAMESPEED_EPIC" />
			<Set BarbPercent="100" />
		</Update>
		<!-- original value "100" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="GAMESPEED_STANDARD" />
			<Set BarbPercent="75" />
		</Update>
		<!-- original value "67" -->
		<Update>
			<Where Type="GAMESPEED_QUICK" />
			<Set BarbPercent="50" />
		</Update>
	</GameSpeeds>

<Defines>
		<!-- EFFECTIVE DEFINES USED BY MOD FOLLOW -->

<!-- original value "0" -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="25"/>
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_CITY_ATTACK_MODIFIER"/>
		</Update>

<!-- original value "2" -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="4"/>
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_CAMP_ODDS_OF_NEW_CAMP_SPAWNING"/>
		</Update>

<!-- original value "4"  -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="7"/>
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_CAMP_MINIMUM_DISTANCE_CAPITAL"/>
		</Update>

<!-- original value "7" -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="8"/>
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_CAMP_MINIMUM_DISTANCE_ANOTHER_CAMP"/>
		</Update>

<!-- original value "6" -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="8"/>
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_CAMP_COASTAL_SPAWN_ROLL"/>
		</Update>

<!-- original value "10" -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="15"/>
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_EXTRA_RAGING_UNIT_SPAWN_CHANCE"/>
		</Update>

<!-- original value "30" -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="25"/>
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_NAVAL_UNIT_START_TURN_SPAWN"/>
		</Update>

<!-- original value "2" -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="4"/>
			<Where Name="MAX_BARBARIANS_FROM_CAMP_NEARBY"/>
		</Update>

<!-- original value "4" -->
		<Update>
			<Set Value="2"/>
			<Where Name="MAX_BARBARIANS_FROM_CAMP_NEARBY_RANGE"/>
		</Update>
	</Defines>

<!--
	<PostDefines>
		<Row Name="BARBARIAN_HANDICAP">
			<Key>HANDICAP_CHIEFTAIN</Key>
			<Table>HandicapInfos</Table>
		</Row>
	</PostDefines>		-->

</GameData>

and

<GameData>
	<Defines>
		<Update>
			<Set Value="-1" />
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_MAX_XP_VALUE" />
		</Update>
	</Defines>
</GameData>

I think the connotation actually makes sense. I mean, the word "Barbarian" has negative connotations, too, after all. And, like the word terrorism, it ultimately has very little denotative meaning other than "Chaotic Evil". Which, the barbarians pretty much are.

Though I suppose part of this is just "headcannon" (the way I see it, it's the City States that are actual freedom fighters. The Barbarians are just lawless criminals who can't be reasoned with).

The connotation that "terrorist" == evil; no questions asked, is certainly a strong one (at least for the West), but it is still the most accurate reflection of the barbarian player in-game, who, effectively, seeks to incite terror to achieve their end; which is an antithetical enough way of approaching a conflict in civilised society that they can still be considered "uncivilised." Because the game doesn't accomodate the sophisticated ends that RL terroritsts might have, they are left with the same goal as barbarians, and pirates, and brigands, et al; to stomp workers and pillage gold and to generally cause mayhem for no perceivable, in-game reason (unlike other civs, they don't play to "win," and unlike city-states, they don't seem concerned with just trying to survive). This does, however, mean the term "terrorist" can be used without guilt; probably more so than the word "barbarian" in the first place - although that only comes to mind because its so difficult to not think of cultures characterised as barbarians by the Romans and Greeks and Icelandics.

"Anarchist," on the other hand, limits itself to a select school of thought on the nature of the state and of society - too sophisticated a term to apply to a group of ubiquitious, gold-hungry, murderous, kidnapping soldiers whose only purpose is to attack other players, and probably too offensive to any with an anarchist philosophy (I would say that anarchists are more reasonable to deal with than those who use terror to get their way). Although I would just love to see a barbarian Proudhon just try and steal my Settler :p

As an aside, I was thinking about how Barbarian City-States could work; but it would require removing the warmonger penalty for taking their cities, I guess, which isn't really feasible. I just wanted an excuse to add more city-state types, which no one has done in a while (and not for BNW, AFAIK).

"Anarchist," on the other hand, limits itself to a select school of thought on the nature of the state and of society - too sophisticated a term to apply to a group of ubiquitious, gold-hungry, murderous, kidnapping soldiers whose only purpose is to attack other players, and probably too offensive to any with an anarchist philosophy (I would say that anarchists are more reasonable to deal with than those who use terror to get their way). Although I would just love to see a barbarian Proudhon just try and steal my Settler :p

Anarchists have had plenty of violent jerkwads in their ranks back in the day. A lot of us are reasonable, but not all - especially historically.

Sure, but it's easier to justify the tacit generalisation being made by this mod that "all terrorists are uncivilised brutes" than "all anarchists are uncivilised brutes," even should there be exceptions to either notion (though there's probably a relativist argument out there that allows at least half of the latter to apply to anarchists). Being an anarchist doesn't, by definition, predispose you to do terrible things. However, the same cannot be said for terrorists - it's in the name.

Before the debate progresses further, I will not use "Anarchist" as one of the words. Pretty much for what JFD said... Anarchism is not simply taking forceful actions against any government system. It can also be done through intelectual efforts, and can be taken as a lifestyle. It's so much more than riots and destroying things.

Terrorism is a way of spreading terror for a given reason (mostly political, ideological or religious), so in the modern world, somebody that suddenly kills your trade routes and attacks your city can be more easily regarded as terrorist (since it doesn't even identify the source of the method, that means, your terrorist ingame could be for a lot of reasons, an anarchist is following an ideology)

@Lees: It seems that by simply putting BarbIE as a reference (so it loads before your mod) your changes will apply anyway.

A suggestion I might have is making the Modern (possibly industrial) Age Barbarians be called "Gangsters". IE, 1920's esque mafias.

A suggestion I might have is making the Modern (possibly industrial) Age Barbarians be called "Gangsters". IE, 1920's esque mafias.

Eh, except they mostly operated from inside cities, not outside civilized territory.

Top Bottom