Seas Of Fire - A Terrain Conversion

HandyVac

Gentleman
The shire where the oxen cross the river. UK.
Both graphical and functional changes to transform all the oceans, lakes and rivers of the planet into molten lava. The intent being to create an alien planet that feels different to Earth, and has a different gameplay experience to an average BE game.

Lava seas can be an abundant source of energy, especially when exploited by the two new coastal buildings. However, they are difficult and dangerous to cross, requiring different strategies than crossing water, and are home to new types of alien.

New Terrain
- Coastal and Ocean waters are Lava and Magma, yielding energy instead of food.
- Rivers and Lakes are Lava Flows and Calderas, depositing Sulfur along their banks which allows mines to be built on flat ground.
- Flood Plains become Glass Flats, expanses of desert sand melted into culture-yielding volcanic glass.
- Floating Pumice spawns randomly on the lava seas, allowing land units to walk across it's surface.
- Coral and Algae replaced with Silica and Basalt, and Geothermal Energy becomes Diamond.
Spoiler :

New Naval Movement
- Naval units and Embarkation are disabled.
- Create bridges of floating pumice to move your units between islands, or level up affinities until your rovers and hover vehicles can cross it unaided.
- Non-hovering units take damage when ending a turn on a lava.
Spoiler :

New Orbital Units
- the Doppler Cooler increases the chance for Floating Pumice to spawn, letting you build temporary bridges to move troops
- the Survey Probe is a cheap early orbital that reveals terrain, but has no other effect.
Spoiler :

New Buildings
- the Geothermal Reef and Crucible Pond allow coastal cities to maximise their yields from lava tiles.
- Water Refineries are no longer tied to coasts, but instead boost food production in cities.
Spoiler :

New Aliens
- Sea Dragons become Salamanders, scuttling across the surface of both land and lava on their fireproof feet.
- Krakens become Steam Drakes, riding the thermals over the lava seas and making ranged attacks against the shoreline.
Spoiler :

Compatability
Seas Of Fire works with all map types and biomes. It is compatible with Visually Distinctive Terrains and most other modded biomes (i.e. ones that do not change the appearance of water).

DOWNLOAD FROM STEAM
DOWNLOAD FROM CIVFANATICS

Haven't had a chance to play this yet, but looking through the files this seems like an amazing mod. You put some serious work into those pedia entries, and I can easily imagine the world you've created even without the screenshots. I also like the idea that traders preserve pumice and how lev barges actually require Floatstone to be built.

And when I do get around to trying this out, I am definitely renaming my capital to Mordor!

Played with the mod for awhile, and I can report it is compatible with most of the big mods, particularly lilgamefreak's. I was on a massive map, but was actually quite isolated from everyone else and mostly just an observer. You've turned navigating the lava into its own minigame, and I love it! First, I had to scope out the area near the coasts, as my explorers couldn't survive more than a few turns, and then you have to place your orbitals to create a path so you can get a little further out.

Top Bottom