World Congress Reformation

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter

Overview
World Congress Reformation (WCR)
is a Vox Populi exclusive mod that improves the diplomatic and flavor aspect of the World Congress. Requires the full package of Vox Populi.
Changes to Overall Gameplay
  • Adjusted the new Delegate System. Matching the strong influence of a strong nation.
  • Adds 7 new World Projects.
  • +20% World Congress Sessions
    • You'll find you can propose more resolutions!
  • Allows you to change the host of the World Congress via a resolution. (Yes the AI can actually use this).
  • Creates a background behind the GDR and XCOM Squad existence...
    • As such GDR cannot be trained nor upgraded from Modern Armor until its Project has been unlocked.
    • As such XCOM Squad cannot be trained nor upgraded from Special Forces until its Project has been unlocked. It also consumes 1 Aluminium but gains +25% Attack vs Gunpowder Units now.
  • City-States become more integrated into this mod as minor nations with sovereignty or a surprising lack of it...
Download the Mod
World Congress Reformation

This new system in World Congress Reformation improves upon the aspect of how international politics and diplomacy play out more in tune with reality.​
  • All Civilizations and City-States yield 1 delegate until the United Nations has been founded. At that point, Civilizations and City-States are granted 2 delegates.
  • Civilizations can increase their delegate count by becoming Host, establishing City-State Embassies, establishing City-State Alliances, and population.
    • Ancient/Classical/Medieval/Renaissance/Industrial/Modern/Atomic/Information Civilizations receive an additional delegate for every 25/30/35/40/45/50/55/60 Population.
      • Ancient/Classical/Medieval Nations may still receive delegates, but can't do anything with it until the World Congress has been founded.
    • Global Hegemony requires +10 more Delegates than usual to account for the City-State Diplomacy Mod and this mod which inflates the count of Delegates.
    • Receiving a plurality but not a majority for Global Hegemony no longer grants you bonus permanent delegates.

This mod introduces a new political system to how City-States can be allied through a different method along with a few various changes...​
  • City-States affected by an Open Door Policy can no longer be bullied.
  • Decolonization now repeals all Sphere of Influences founded by the Player. (Just conquer the City-State and remove it directly)
  • Fixed an issue where capturing a city-state no longer made you eligible to liberate the same city-state if you lost the Capital.
    • This workaround fix is by using puppet and using the Event System to liberate it.
  • Force policies on City-States through Conquest. No need to go through international red tape. Conquering a City-State when the World Congress is active now grants you new options (that the AI can use!). Just puppet(no razing, no annexing) and an option will be given to you to force a certain policy.
    • Establish a Sphere of Influence on a conquered City-State and the City-State becomes your permanent ally. The only problem is that City-States forced these policies initially act in defiance.
    • Issue Open Door Policy on a conquered City-State and the City-State will be unable to be loyal to a certain influence while granting them protection against the same influence that may bully them!
    • Let the City-State be.

XCOM Squad and Giant Death Robots are untrainable until their respective resolutions have passed. The XCOM Initiative grants its project contributors the ability to train XCOM Squads.​
ProjectsDescriptionPrerequisiteBronzeSilverGold
XCOM InitiativeRecognizing the potential threat from aliens and other external threats, the XCOM Initiative was born to protect the populace from enemies known, and unknown.NanotechnologyCouncil Member: XCOM Clearance in the Capital making XCOM Units available.Founding Member: 1 XCOM Squad. +5 Happiness.Creator: XCOM Headquarters appear in the Capital (Free Strategic Defense Systems in all Cities)
Project TEMPESTRecognizing the potential cost of maintaining a large army and arsenal. Nations meet in secret to discuss the Prototype TEMPEST.RoboticsPatrons: Blueprints spawn in the Capital making GDR available.Sponsors: Enrichment Facilities appear in the Capital granting 4 copies of Uranium.Manager: 1 Giant Death Robot. TEMPEST Base appears in the Capital (+100% Production on Armored Units, +15 Defense)

The mod also introduces new world projects jumpstarting the spur of human mastery over the world.​
ProjectsDescriptionPrerequisiteBronzeSilverGold
Cultural RevolutionTimes have changed. The new world stage is evolving. The people are conflicted. The people are yearning for new prospects for a better life.Steam PowerSocial Theorist: 1 free Social Policy.Social Revolutionary: Great Writer appears near the Capital.Influential Figure: Political Treatise appears in the Capital (3000 Culture when Completed, Empire enters a Golden Age, +5 Tourism, and +25% Great Writer Generation Rate in the City).
International Monetary FundThe world's economy needs to be shaped. Infrastructure developed. Those that invest well are well-rewarded.Atomic TheoryGovernor: Great Merchant appears near the Capital.Executive Director: Receive 1 additional delegate. -1 Poverty in all Cities. All Diplomatic Units receive Financial Aid promotion granting additional influence when expended.Founder: International Monetary Fund HQ (Receive 1 additional delegate for every 8 City-States. +1 Gold and +1 Golden Age Point for every Friendship, additionally +2 Gold if upgraded to an Alliance.)
The HollywoodWhen Thomas Edison invented a device that could capture motion successfully in a smooth fluid matter, he immediately created a patent to protect his invention. However... there are those who refuse to oblige by these rules and immediately set out to develop a studio that would become the cultural center of the world.CorporationsFilm Producer: Great Artist appears near the Capital.Theater Chains: +33% Culture for 15 Turns.Hollywood Producer: Hollywood appears in the Capital (+1 Tourism and Culture from Great Works in all Cities. +25% Great Artist generation in the City. -1 Unhappiness from Boredom in all Cities.).
Rock N RollYou hear that? There's a new trend going on in the new generation and the nations are racing to find who can perfect this tune for their own uses!RadioHit Singles: Great Musicians appear near the Capital.Hit Records: +50% Tourism for 10 Turns. +4 Happiness.Exclusive Hits: Rock N Roll appears in the Capital (Receive 10000 Tourism with all known Civilizations when completed. +25% Great Musician generation rate in the City. All Broadcast Towers, Stadiums, and Towns gain +1 Tourism.).
Engineering Service CorpA vision was made. A huge project was established. Cities to be developed.ElectricityStudent: Great Engineer appears near the Capital.Teacher: Engineering Service Corp Office appears in Capital (+1 Laborer in this City. -5% Empire Size Need in this City.)Mentor: Engineering Service Corp wonder appears in Capital (+1 Laborer in all Cities. -5% Empire Size Need in all Cities.)
Credits
Civilization 4's Art Assets.

Last edited:
Is this mod actually completed / at a functional level as of yet?

Or is this more an announcement of a possible future mod?

Cities will begin to produce 1/2/3/4/5 world congress vote at a population of 10/25/35/50/65 threshold.

I don`t understand. Are these votes in addition to the default votes?

I don´t see anything that relates to gamespeed here, why is it better for epic or marathon?

Is this mod actually completed / at a functional level as of yet?

Or is this more an announcement of a possible future mod?

The mod is actually completed once the next Community Balance Patch is done since Gazebo added an unscaleable world congress vote trait to buildings now.

I don`t understand. Are these votes in addition to the default votes?

I don´t see anything that relates to gamespeed here, why is it better for epic or marathon?
Yes, these votes produced by cities will add on your default votes. It relates to game speed because during the renaissance era at marathon, each nation is only given one vote essentially. That means you would have to be rushing Great Diplomats and we know how long they take in order to have a significant impact on the World Congress. Instead, the votes are now dependent on your cities and how large they grow making Marathon and Epic World Congress suitable to use in your favor.

The mod also plays the concept of diplomacy realistically that in order to achieve global hegemony, you have to be friendly with most civilizations hence changing host can be proposed at an era, so you can earn diplomatic points and rather than being allies with city-states.

It also makes trading delegates more valuable since there are more votes to purchase off, there are more ways to manipulate the World Congress. You can buy delegates from the most largest nation(largest nation should in theory produce more world congress vote no?) or from city-states the old way.

The mod is actually completed once the next Community Balance Patch is done since Gazebo added an unscaleable world congress vote trait to buildings now.

Yes, these votes produced by cities will add on your default votes. It relates to game speed because during the renaissance era at marathon, each nation is only given one vote essentially. That means you would have to be rushing Great Diplomats and we know how long they take in order to have a significant impact on the World Congress. Instead, the votes are now dependent on your cities and how large they grow making Marathon and Epic World Congress suitable to use in your favor.

The mod also plays the concept of diplomacy realistically that in order to achieve global hegemony, you have to be friendly with most civilizations hence changing host can be proposed at an era, so you can earn diplomatic points and rather than being allies with city-states.

It also makes trading delegates more valuable since there are more votes to purchase off, there are more ways to manipulate the World Congress. You can buy delegates from the most largest nation(largest nation should in theory produce more world congress vote no?) or from city-states the old way.

Keep in mind that total votes needed for a WC victory is based on # civs/CSs, not total possible votes in-game. Too many extra sources of votes will make the Diplo victory way easier.

G

So if I understand correctly, the mod will add more votes, but not really change any of the WC policies or whatever? So, just more votes? That's not a bad thing mind you, I just want to clarify.

If you're going to add more World Congress votes, and a lot more votes early on, what do you think of adding more spies as well? Diplomats are needed for vote swapping. I'd like to continue being able to buy enough votes to prevent diplomatic victories without focusing on world congress as a primary goal.

Revolutionary as always Eginseer, great idea. I look forward to trying it out.

So if I understand correctly, the mod will add more votes, but not really change any of the WC policies or whatever? So, just more votes? That's not a bad thing mind you, I just want to clarify.

The World Congress policies seems normal for now(up to the community to ask for a balance), but I might add in more world projects.

If you're going to add more World Congress votes, and a lot more votes early on, what do you think of adding more spies as well? Diplomats are needed for vote swapping. I'd like to continue being able to buy enough votes to prevent diplomatic victories without focusing on world congress as a primary goal.
I don't know, 28 spies seems a lot already at maximum city-state setting and latest era. You can still buy enough votes to prevent diplomatic victories by putting all your eggs in the largest nation by population.

You can buy delegates from the most largest nation(largest nation should in theory produce more world congress vote no?) or from city-states the old way.

I am neutral about this. On one hand it doesn't make sense for a superpower with 30% of world population to have only 10 its base votes while Venice, given it's small size, can claim enough votes to achieve a landslide victory. On the other hand I feel if you do this, the voice of small Civs in WC might be eclipsed by bigger ones. It leaves cultural victory as the only option for smaller Civs.

Cities that also reaches those population threshold will also be less content and demand more yields to satisfy their need.
What does it mean? What yields? so if they are dissatisfied then what? happiness penalty?

I think it was a smart move of Firaxis to go away from the CIV IV model of having votes based on population.
That way, diplomatic victories are often just "backdoor domination" victories, where you just conquer enough cities until you reach the required threshold. It takes away much of the uniqueness of the current DV.

I am neutral about this. On one hand it doesn't make sense for a superpower with 30% of world population to have only 10 its base votes while Venice, given it's small size, can claim enough votes to achieve a landslide victory. On the other hand I feel if you do this, the voice of small Civs in WC might be eclipsed by bigger ones. It leaves cultural victory as the only option for smaller Civs.

What does it mean? What yields? so if they are dissatisfied then what? happiness penalty?

Well, a city can yield at most 3 votes and that's only if you are building tall(so at most the renaissance is granting 0-2 extra votes to any nations). 50 population is hard to accomplish compared to a city pumping out diplomat units and one great diplomat to a nearby city-state for 3 votes in modern era+.

As for the yields, you earn golden age points in exchange for more unhappiness modifier. This realistically simulates prosperity and a proper city background. How should a city actually function properly when you have all farms and mines around your cities with no strong higher public education? An academy is then needed at least for 46 million people of course. Landmarks might then be an incentive to have to counter boredom more effectively than an artifact countering boredom. Overall, no city is perfect; every city is bound to have unhappiness. But in cases where you are able to be perfect, you have yourself a golden age.

As for the yields, you earn golden age points in exchange for more unhappiness modifier. This realistically simulates prosperity and a proper city background. How should a city actually function properly when you have all farms and mines around your cities with no strong higher public education? An academy is then needed at least for 46 million people of course. Landmarks might then be an incentive to have to counter boredom more effectively than an artifact countering boredom. Overall, no city is perfect; every city is bound to have unhappiness. But in cases where you are able to be perfect, you have yourself a golden age.

In this case, what this mod really concerns is the happiness impact/WC power that a large-pop city can bring to the game. Right? So it actually is a modmod about late game balance when the cities are large enough to bring twist to the game. Am I correct?

In this case, what this mod really concerns is the happiness impact/WC power that a large-pop city can bring to the game. Right? So it actually is a modmod about late game balance when the cities are large enough to bring twist to the game. Am I correct?

For now probably because the mod hasn't been released yet, but I have three future world projects currently in development.

Released in beta mode. World Congress Projects are currently in the process of being added.

Requires:
  • Community Patch
  • Community Balance Patch
  • City-States Diplomacy

As far as I can tell, the City-state Diplomacy is currently a part of the Community Balance Patch, or at least the version that I am running. Would I still need to have the City-States Diplomacy mod installed and active for this world congress reformation mod?

As far as I can tell, the City-state Diplomacy is currently a part of the Community Balance Patch, or at least the version that I am running. Would I still need to have the City-States Diplomacy mod installed and active for this world congress reformation mod?
Well, technically, you don't need per say city-state diplomacy, but it is optional for balance, but I'll change it in the next update to make it optional.

World Congress Reformation (v 3)
  • Added audio files for the CBP's wonders.
  • Added XCOM Project, restricted XCOM Squads to only those that contributed to the project.
  • Adjusted TEMPEST Project.

Top Bottom