Resource Yield Balance

It isn't 'stealth,' it's called 'reading this thread and testing things out over the past few days.'
:/

This seems really pedantic. You do realize that elephants can provide both their elephant-ness (as, ya know, elephants) and also - if killed - ivory? Ivory as a resource is the byproduct of the elephant (much like Furs are the byproduct of killing beavers, etc., not literally wearing a live beaver on your head).
If the ivory would represent the actual elephant on the tile, the yields really do not represent that, at all.

It's fine. Banks fit the resource well, and offers a big renaissance-era boost to Gold.
Markets also fits the resource well, as does caravansaries, and temples. I just don't think having some luxuries provide massive tiles in ancient era while others provide around the same numbers in renaissance era is very good design, I mean it's not like gold wasn't used before banks.

I think these buffs are small enough to bring them inline.
Maybe. But this would for example make them strictly better than wine, which provides the exact same yields as incense currently does.

There are also a lot of other plantation luxuries that are slightly better than wine (because they have a useful monopoly) but still only add like +3 gold to the tile. If you want a list:
Cotton
Dyes
Silk
Spices
Sugar
Tea

Adding yields to all of them would just create a powercreep, the idea instead should probably just be switching out some of the yields they get from their respective building (the symmetry in the building as it currently works is nice, but variety is also nice).

No, Forge stays as-is. It is too early for a +2/+2 boost.
Buildings available earlier than the Forge adding +2 yields to luxury-tiles:

Stone-works: +2 Production to Salt, Jade, Marble

Market: +1 Gold +1 Production to Spices, Sugar.

Buildings available as early as the Forge adding +2 yields to luxury-tiles:

Lighthouse: +1 Production +1 Food to Whales, Crabs, Pearls, Coral.

Colosseum: +1 Culture +1 Gold to Olives, Perfume.

Just saying.

Buildings available earlier than the Forge adding +2 yields to luxury-tiles:

Stone-works: +2 Production to Salt, Jade, Marble

Market: +1 Gold +1 Production to Spices, Sugar.

Buildings available as early as the Forge adding +2 yields to luxury-tiles:

Lighthouse: +1 Production +1 Food to Whales, Crabs, Pearls, Coral.

Colosseum: +1 Culture +1 Gold to Olives, Perfume.

Just saying.

Forge with +2/+2 was over-performing greatly. The choice was either reducing the base yield (making it pointless for non-iron/non-copper cities) or reducing the tile yield.

Adding yields to all of them would just create a powercreep, the idea instead should probably just be switching out some of the yields they get from their respective building (the symmetry in the building as it currently works is nice, but variety is also nice).

Sorry, wasn't clear - the bonuses in my 'working list' represented changes (now +1x), not additions. Exceptions are ivory (addition) and copper (lacked a yield).

G

Forge with +2/+2 was over-performing greatly. The choice was either reducing the base yield (making it pointless for non-iron/non-copper cities) or reducing the tile yield.
I don't really understand how a forge with +2 production on copper is overperforming while just giving +1 production on the copper from the start and then another one from the forge isn't overperforming. The only difference is symmetry.

Sorry, wasn't clear - the bonuses in my 'working list' represented changes (now +1x), not additions.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't really understand how a forge with +2 production on copper is overperforming while just giving +1 production on the copper from the start and then another one from the forge isn't overperforming. The only difference is symmetry.

Forges were boosting production way too much early on (i.e. first 100 turns). I reduced the resource yields to compensate, but now the masses complain of weak yields on copper. So if I buff Copper on the Forge, I need to take away the base Forge +1 Production yield. We can do that if that's preferred.

Stone Works also needs to have its base yield removed, now that I think of it.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's not complicated.

Coral and Pearls now gain +1 Culture from Fishing Boats instead of Gold

Coffee (Now +1 Food), Tobacco (Now +1 Culture), Perfume (Now +1 Culture), and Incense (Now +1 Culture)
Ivory (Gains +1 Production)

Forges were boosting production way too much early on (i.e. first 100 turns). I reduced the resource yields to compensate, but now the masses complain of weak yields on copper. So if I buff Copper on the Forge, I need to take away the base Forge +1 Production yield. We can do that if that's preferred.
I think the masses are complaining because all other buildings add plus 2 yields to luxury-tiles, the forge just adds one.

Now that I understand what you mean by overperforming, I got to say that of course the building improving your monopoly-luxury is going to overperform, that's what happens when you have 3 or 4 of one luxury within range and get a building that improves it. I really don't see a problem in people with a copper-start rushing forges, it makes sense to me.

Stone Works also needs to have its base yield removed, now that I think of it.
Or you just let them both provide +2 in peace and we compensate by creating some better variety and yields in the plantation-resources?

It's not complicated.
Okay, so you're talking about the base tile-yield, why did you not just say that? :D Also why did you say add instead of replace? :D

Anyways, I'll work some yieldmagic on the ancient and classical era buildings. Since you won't let me work on the renaissance era buildings I'll just leave those resources to rot and restart whenever I get them.

Okay, what do we have here?

Market:
Spices - 1F 1P (prev. 1p 1g)
Sugar - 1F 1G (prev. 1p 1g)

Colosseum is fine
Stone works is fine
Forge is fine
Lighthouse is fine

Caravansary:
Truffles - 2g (prev. 1g 1p)
Cotton - 1p 1c (prev. 1g 1p)
Furs - 1g 1p (same)

Temple is fine (I'd replace the base tile gold for the Wine for food instead)

Amphitheater:
Dyes - 2c (prev 1c 1g)
Lapis Lazuli - same

I think the masses are complaining because all other buildings add plus 2 yields to luxury-tiles, the forge just adds one.

Now that I understand what you mean by overperforming, I got to say that of course the building improving your monopoly-luxury is going to overperform, that's what happens when you have 3 or 4 of one luxury within range and get a building that improves it. I really don't see a problem in people with a copper-start rushing forges, it makes sense to me.

Or you just let them both provide +2 in peace and we compensate by creating some better variety and yields in the plantation-resources?

Okay, so you're talking about the base tile-yield, why did you not just say that? :D Also why did you say add instead of replace? :D

Anyways, I'll work some yieldmagic on the ancient and classical era buildings. Since you won't let me work on the renaissance era buildings I'll just leave those resources to rot and restart whenever I get them.

Okay, what do we have here?

Market:
Sugar - 1F 1G (prev. 1p 1g)

Colosseum is fine
Stone works is fine
Forge is fine
Lighthouse is fine

Caravansary:
Furs - 1g 1p (same)

Temple is fine (I'd replace the base tile gold for the Wine for food instead)

Amphitheater:
Dyes - 2c (prev 1c 1g)
Lapis Lazuli - same

These look fine to me.

So, let me get this straight - the problem (as perceived by you and others) is not the base yields or improvement yields on resources, but rather their building bonus yields? Or both?

If the latter, here's a potential list of changes we can make to plantation resources to diversify their plantation-improvement yields:

Spoiler :

"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_DYE" "YIELD_GOLD"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_SUGAR" "YIELD_GOLD"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_COTTON" "YIELD_GOLD"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_TOBACCO" "YIELD_GOLD"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_SPICES" "YIELD_GOLD"

"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_CITRUS" "YIELD_FOOD"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_COCOA" "YIELD_FOOD"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_TEA" "YIELD_FOOD"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_OLIVE" "YIELD_FOOD"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_COFFEE" "YIELD_FOOD"

"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_INCENSE" "YIELD_CULTURE"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_WINE" "YIELD_CULTURE"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_PERFUME" "YIELD_CULTURE"
"IMPROVEMENT_PLANTATION" "RESOURCE_SILK" "YIELD_CULTURE"

May not be necessary.
G

These look fine to me.

So, let me get this straight - the problem (as perceived by you and others) is not the base yields or improvement yields on resources, but rather their building bonus yields? Or both?

The problem, at least perceived by me, is that most of the plantation resources are way to similar, they are pretty much all base-tiles +3 gold when improved. Some diversity is added with the buildings, but a whole lot of the buildings simply slap an extra 1g 1p on the tile, not much diversity. Solving this can be done by adjusting yields from buildings or base-yields, and to make all the luxuries feel unique both of them probably need to be adjusted.

While I was at it I nerfed the truffle tile a slight bit, I've never seen truffles spawn outside of jungle/forest and it benefits so much from the forest/jungle buffs anyways, could take the chance here to replace a point of producton with a point of gold.

I'm not being very clear, so here is an example:
Not counting monopolies, the three luxuries, tea, coffee and tobacco are completely identical. They provide 1 gold base, +2 gold when improved with a plantation and +1 gold +1production when you build a grocer, that is just not very fun design.

The problem, at least perceived by me, is that most of the plantation resources are way to similar, they are pretty much all base-tiles +3 gold when improved. Some diversity is added with the buildings, but a whole lot of the buildings simply slap an extra 1g 1p on the tile, not much diversity. Solving this can be done by adjusting yields from buildings or base-yields, and to make all the luxuries feel unique both of them probably need to be adjusted.

While I was at it I nerfed the truffle tile a slight bit, I've never seen truffles spawn outside of jungle/forest and it benefits so much from the forest/jungle buffs anyways, could take the chance here to replace a point of producton with a point of gold.

I'm not being very clear, so here is an example:
Not counting monopolies, the three luxuries, tea, coffee and tobacco are completely identical. They provide 1 gold base, +2 gold when improved with a plantation and +1 gold +1production when you build a grocer, that is just not very fun design.

I agree. Did you look at my list in the spoiler? We could flip existing resources to that model (or go even further if we need to).

G

It's probably a problem of manufactories (great engineer's tile improvement) being too weak at the moment, but iron and copper tiles used to be as strong as those. That's why I'm happy to see forge nerfed.

Market:

Caravansary:

It's just a flavour thing, but I think an obligatory +1 gold belongs to any buff that caravansaries and markets provide. Also, spices would become especially strong if they received two of the most valuable (much valuable than gold, imo) yields as you suggested - I'd probably leave it at 1p 1g, or even 1c 1g.

These look fine to me.

It's a lot of things. Funak has brought up some points I agree with on the buildings. Going to reference this again to point out some other things I perceive as issues:

- Olives and Cocoa get an extra base yield over every other plantation resource

- Coral and Pearls you're already fixing

- Forest Camps vs non-Forest Camps. I know Funak has brought this up before but it's a big imbalance. A Forest is eventually +4 total yields, with all of those bonuses coming on line quite early (by Civil Service). Ivory and Bison don't measure up.

- Bananas have no base yield. They have a higher Improved Yield which tells me this is intentional, but I don't understand it. You can't use them (outside of Granary) until Iron Working. Deer are so, so much better in comparison and you don't need to cut the forest.

- Quarry vs Mine scaling. The wonder bonus tells me this is intentional again, but come the Modern era a generic, no-resource Mine provides more Production than a Stone Quarry. That doesn't feel right.

- Fresh Water/NO Fresh Water tech scaling. There are some major gaps between some of these bonuses. 5 tech gap between Steel and Industrialization for Mines, 5 tech gap between Chemistry and Plastics for Plantations. Then we have much shorter gaps where the NO Fresh Water actually gets a better bonus. Only 2 techs between Gunpowder and Rifling, but the NO Fresh Water Camp gets 1 Food vs 1 Gold. If the better bonus is a balancing act, shouldn't it be on the larger gaps?

It is insanely difficult to balance it all, so I appreciate all the help. I don't foresee perfection, but I would like to avoid 'instant restart' resources existing. One thing I'm going to do is move Silk down to the Amphitheater (doesn't belong on the Opera House). That means that all Renaissance resources are right at the start of the Renaissance, which allows for a nice ramp up in resource use/unlock into the mid-game.

My current summary:

• All resources (except Renaissance ones) should get +2x bonus from buildings, where x is one or more yield types.
  • Non-forest camps are the worst offenders in terms of poor base/improved yields.
  • Plantation resources are generally unexciting due to similarity of base yields.
  • Water luxuries need a boost, or a base yield value change.

Does this seem right? I'm happy with monopolies as they stand, and buffing Coral/Pearls/Ivory/Bison should take care of 2 and 4. So really we need to look at 1 and 3 and get those sorted out.

G

I like the idea of plantations on different luxuries offering different resource yields. It makes them more unique opposed to just being additional gold. However, I think plantations also need to be balanced around the fact that a forest/jungle plantation luxury becomes a worse tile once you improve it. (+1f herbalist +1p/f forest/jungle) and then the additional bonuses from workshops and universities.

It is insanely difficult to balance it all, so I appreciate all the help. I don't foresee perfection, but I would like to avoid 'instant restart' resources existing. One thing I'm going to do is move Silk down to the Amphitheater (doesn't belong on the Opera House). That means that all Renaissance resources are right at the start of the Renaissance, which allows for a nice ramp up in resource use/unlock into the mid-game.
First of all, no I did not read your spoiler, I was way too tired to try and figure out what it means. :D

Second, the Silk thing makes sense, Opera houses are soooo late.

Third, no, of course perfect balance is impossible, and would probably just end up being boring. This is more a case of flavor and variety. Having all Plantation-based resources ending up with the same yields just isn't fun.

All resources (except Renaissance ones) should get +2x bonus from buildings, where x is one or more yield types.
Yeah, this is pretty much it.

Non-forest camps are the worst offenders in terms of poor base/improved yields.
If possible make fur only spawn in forest, the Elephants (which never spawn in jungle/forest) can be balanced individually, but there is just a way too big difference between forest truffle/furs and non-forest truffle/furs.

Speaking of this, is there any real reason why elephants never spawn in jungle/forest? I thought they actually lived in forest/jungle.

Plantation resources are generally unexciting due to similarity of base yields.
Yes, this is probably just me however. I dislike things being samey.

Water luxuries need a boost, or a base yield value change.
Huhm, I don't think that. Crabs are great, Whales are great. Pearls and Coral are way less exciting but they aren't really bad.

Does this seem right? I'm happy with monopolies as they stand, and buffing Coral/Pearls/Ivory/Bison should take care of 2 and 4. So really we need to look at 1 and 3 and get those sorted out.
I don't necessarily think Bison are bad, but yes, this is pretty much it.

It's a lot of things. Funak has brought up some points I agree with on the buildings. Going to reference this again to point out some other things I perceive as issues:
Heyyah.

- Olives and Cocoa get an extra base yield over every other plantation resource
Yes, that's called flavor :D. See, these things along with stuff like Citrus being good, and foresttruffles being good and Salt being good. These things I have absolutely no problem with. Imho some resources can be better than others, the problem here is that a lot of plantation resources are providing the exact same yields, as well as being underpowered.

- Bananas have no base yield. They have a higher Improved Yield which tells me this is intentional, but I don't understand it. You can't use them (outside of Granary) until Iron Working. Deer are so, so much better in comparison and you don't need to cut the forest.
They got their base-yield chewed because people were complaining about them not being worth improving. Better to leave them unimproved and get the jungle-bonuses.

- Quarry vs Mine scaling. The wonder bonus tells me this is intentional again, but come the Modern era a generic, no-resource Mine provides more Production than a Stone Quarry. That doesn't feel right.
Somewhat agree here, mines needed to keep scaling to keep up with other things.

- Fresh Water/NO Fresh Water tech scaling. There are some major gaps between some of these bonuses. 5 tech gap between Steel and Industrialization for Mines, 5 tech gap between Chemistry and Plastics for Plantations. Then we have much shorter gaps where the NO Fresh Water actually gets a better bonus. Only 2 techs between Gunpowder and Rifling, but the NO Fresh Water Camp gets 1 Food vs 1 Gold. If the better bonus is a balancing act, shouldn't it be on the larger gaps?
Again, this is just flavor, I think it's totally fine.

It's probably a problem of manufactories (great engineer's tile improvement) being too weak at the moment, but iron and copper tiles used to be as strong as those. That's why I'm happy to see forge nerfed.
And now, Marble/Jade/Salt is as strong as manufactories instead while the Copper sits on the side being weak.
I'll agree with you that early-game manufactories are weaker than a lot of resources, but they grow in strength rather rapidly and I really think that's fine. As long as the manufactory isn't worse than normal hill-mines I don't think we have a problem.

It's just a flavour thing, but I think an obligatory +1 gold belongs to any buff that caravansaries and markets provide.
Caravansary, probably true. For a market however, it could just help redistribution, I mean you don't necessarily get more money out of your citizens just because you have a market where they can trade goods.
Also, all the plantation-resources already had 3 gold from base-values and plantation-improvements, I really don't think they necessarily need to get more gold.

Also, spices would become especially strong if they received two of the most valuable (much valuable than gold, imo) yields as you suggested - I'd probably leave it at 1p 1g, or even 1c 1g.
A grassland spice with a market would provide you with 3f 1p 3g, that's hardly amazing, hardly overpowered. I do completely agree with you that food/production feels a lot more valuable, but you have to keep in mind that most of these tiles aren't worth working in the first place, so switching 1 gold for one food on it is hardly gamebreaking.

I like the idea of plantations on different luxuries offering different resource yields. It makes them more unique opposed to just being additional gold.
That was the idea, so I'm happy you feel that way.

However, I think plantations also need to be balanced around the fact that a forest/jungle plantation luxury becomes a worse tile once you improve it. (+1f herbalist +1p/f forest/jungle) and then the additional bonuses from workshops and universities.
I don't necessarily think they need to be balanced around it, but I think with more interesting yields on them people could work them after they've cut down the forest/jungle and improved the tile.

Okay, because I have no skills at all when it comes to making online spreadsheets, and because I don't seems to have Excel installed I'm going to write this by hand and it's going to be REALLY ugly, so keep that in mind.

Tile-yield
Citrus : 1F
Cocoa: 1F 1G
Coffee: 1F
Cotton: 1G
Dyes: 1C
Incense: 1C
Olives: 1F 1G
Perfume: 1C
Silk: 2G
Spices: 1G
Sugar : 1F
Tea: 1G
Tobacco: 2G
Wine: 1F

Plantation
Citrus : 1F 1G
Cocoa: 2G
Coffee: 2G
Cotton: 1C 1G
Dyes: 1C 1G
Incense: 1C 1G
Olives: 2G
Perfume: 2G
Spices: 1F 1G
Sugar : 1F 1G
Tea: 1F 1P
Wine: 1F 1G

Building
Citrus : 2G
Coffee: 2P 1G
Cotton: 1C 1P
Perfume: 2C
Silk: 1G 1C
Spices: 1F 1P
Tea: 1P 2G
Wine: 1C 1G

These values seems extremely random, and they mostly are. Good day.

Okay, because I have no skills at all when it comes to making online spreadsheets, and because I don't seems to have Excel installed I'm going to write this by hand and it's going to be REALLY ugly, so keep that in mind.

Tile-yield
Citrus : 1F
Cocoa: 1F 1G
Coffee: 1F
Cotton: 1G
Dyes: 1C
Incense: 1C
Perfume: 1C
Spices: 1G
Sugar : 1F
Tea: 1G
Wine: 1F

Plantation
Citrus : 1F 1G
Coffee: 2G
Cotton: 1C 1G
Olives: 2G
Perfume: 2G
Spices: 1F 1G
Tea: 1F 1P
Wine: 1F 1G

Building

These values seems extremely random, and they mostly are. Good day.

Mind marking buildings next to resource (i.e. spices on market)?

G

Mind marking buildings next to resource (i.e. spices on market)?

The things I do for you.

Market:

Amphitheater:

Temple:

Bath/Garden:

Colosseum:

Caravansary:

Grocer:
Tobacco: 3G

These are just Plantations-resources btw

Random intersection:
What happens if you settle on a resource?

I would expect that you get the tile bonus on the city tile, and later the building bonus too.
The improvement bonus not, which is why I never settle on resources.

Am I right?

Random intersection:
What happens if you settle on a resource?

I would expect that you get the tile bonus on the city tile, and later the building bonus too.
The improvement bonus not, which is why I never settle on resources.

Am I right?

Correct.

Feedback on resources needed. I'm afraid that these sub-subforums are too easy to overlook. Funak, mind reposting your total resource/improvement/building changes in the main subforum?

G

Correct.

Feedback on resources needed. I'm afraid that these sub-subforums are too easy to overlook. Funak, mind reposting your total resource/improvement/building changes in the main subforum?

You're killing me with these requests you know. :D

does anyone feel that the % longer GAs monopolies underperfoming?, it feels like the only civs that could really use them is brazil, persia and china. i have some ideas:

a) increase the %, the increase is half wonder (chichen) while there is other monopolies like 20% growth (2x atermis).
b) provide GA points yield to the resources, like 2 GA points per worked resources along with the longer GAs.

But of course i want to hear what you guys think of this monopoly, does it need a buff?.

Top Bottom