New OCN calculator

Talar said:
This is basically the same excel OCN calculator that Lbhhh did some time ago but with a reworked interface which should make it quicker and more comfortable for frequent users.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/OCNcalculator.zip

It's still based on the OCN formula by Alexman, thanks for that one :thumbsup:

Well done with the interface.

Here is a screen shot of the final result. Happy downloading everyone.

As always, questions/comments welcome.

Attachments

• calc.jpg
    calc.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,600
Sorry for my inexperience: how can I use the OCN? How the number is calculated?
(example: Chieftain-Communism-Forb.Palace & Sec.Police HQ-Huge map-Commercial= 333 cities!!)
Alternatively: where can I find in Civfanatics this infos?

Thank you in advance!

10lire said:
Sorry for my inexperience: how can I use the OCN? How the number is calculated?
(example: Chieftain-Communism-Forb.Palace & Sec.Police HQ-Huge map-Commercial= 333 cities!!)
Alternatively: where can I find in Civfanatics this infos?

Thank you in advance!

The OCN refers to your optimal city number. If your empire has more cities than your OCN, the corruption level gets higher in cities ranked over your OCN. Therefore it is better to have the highest OCN possible, as it allows you to have a higher number of cities that are productive.

OCN formula for your empire:
Nopt = OCN * (L/100 * (1 + c + Gr + Gp*Nwe)
where
OCN is the optimal number of cities for the map size,
as found in the editor
L is the percentage of optimal cities for the current
difficulty level, as given in the editor
Nwe is the number of active Wonders in the empire with
the “reduces corruption” ability
(Forbidden Palace, SPHQ)
c = 0.25 for a commercial civilization,
0 otherwise
Gr = 0.1 for minimal or nuisance corruption
2 for communal corruption
0 otherwise
Gp = 3/8 non-communal corruption
3 if communal corruption

For more details on distance and rank corruption, the reference is Alexman's article

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_corruption_c3c.shtml

Note: The OCN works very differently for communism vs all other governments. Because of the communal corruption, the OCN has to be higher, hence the different values in the formula.

I tested it, and IMHO I think there's a small mistake, when the SPHQ is checked, it increases the OCN even when not under Communism.

Jurimax said:
I tested it, and IMHO I think there's a small mistake, when the SPHQ is checked, it increases the OCN even when not under Communism.

I think it's useful. Someone might mod the game so that SHPQ is under a different government.

Dogmeat said:
I think it's useful. Someone might mod the game so that SHPQ is under a different government.

@ Jurimax. I was aware of the issue. Just consider the Wonders menu as the Wonders currently in effect menu.

@ Dogmeat. I`m glad you like it. It would be an interesting idea to mod the SPHQ so Fascist governments could build it as well.

Just downloaded it, very nice and easy to use.

One question though, do you round the result up or down? 32.4 = 32 or 33

DJMGator13 said:
Just downloaded it, very nice and easy to use.

One question though, do you round the result up or down? 32.4 = 32 or 33

Thanks for the feedback.
To answer your question, the OCN would in all likelyhood be rounded the standard way, i.e .5 or more rounds up and .49 and less rounds down. So in your example 32.4 would be 32 but 32.7 would become 33.

lbhhh said:
OCN formula for your empire:
Nopt = OCN * (L/100 * (1 + c + Gr + Gp*Nwe)
Hi, you used mistake formula, the right is as below:
Nopt = OCN * (L/100 + c + Gr + Gp*Nwe)

So your result is wrong, for example, I play China in Tiny Map on Monarch.
So OCN=14, L=85, c=0, Gr=0.1, Gp=.375, Nwe=0
Right Nopt = 14 * (85/100 + 0 + 0.1 + 0.375 * 0) = 13.30
Your Nopt = 14 *(85/100 * (1 + 0 + 0.1 + 0.375 * 0)) = 13.09

ack, my head! Ok is that xcel ocn caculator inaccurate then?

Also I can't use that xcel caculator. I don't have xcel, I only have a free excel viewer. This means I can open it and see a picture of the interface, but I can't choose any of the options or otherwise.. interface with it.

What about this c2c corruption/waste calculator. I can't figure out what to do with it. It doesn't seem to calculate the OCN and I don't see a way to adopt its numbers to practical use in game. Also, There are a number of abreviations I'm not familar with WLTKD, FP, SPHQ, Rest (resistance?) and I don't see a guide explaining what these abbreviations stand for.

Can anyone point me to a OCN calculator I can use?

One other correction the Fully correct formula is
Nopt = OCN * (L/100 + c + Gr + Gp*Nwe + 0.25*Ni)

where Ni is the number of Corruption buildings available (Courthouse+Police Station)

Well, this is nice utility, good interference! But there are some mistakes in formula, that would be wondeful not to have.

Hello again, I haven't checked in here for a while. If there's still any interest I could make an updated version of the Excel file with the formula changed. I could make an OpenOffice version as well if you like.

Top Bottom