Old About Avatar's and How to get one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Applying Custom Avatar Graphic that is stored on your computer!

1. Make sure you know exactly where, on your computer, you have stored the graphic!
2. Go to the top of this webpage, click on "User cp"

3. Click on "Edit Avatar"

4. Scroll to the bottom of the page will see a "Browse" button

5. Click on the "Browse" button, this will take you to a file list from your computer... should look a bit like this...

6. Find the desired graphic you wish to use for you avatar (be sure it is 70x70 pixels and/or under 4kb!)
7. Double click on the desired graphic (it will automatically enter the file onto the "Upload an Avatar From Your Computer block"

8. Click on "Save Changes"
And you are done!

It must be saved as JPG, PNG or GIF for the forums to accept it.

Right click the avatar posted in this thread and select save as..

You really need to get a decent editor. Check out http://www.serif.com for some low cost but decent solutions. PhotoPlus 6 is sometimes given away on magazine cover CDs or in special offers ($1 + p&p or something silly) but it's limited in the range of special effects. Can't have everything.

It would be an infringement of forum rules to tell where to get the latest & greatest editors for free, but it's not against the rules of google... ;)

Official free downloads

There are open source solutions aswell, such as GIMP (aka the free Photoshop) but you may need to mess with the files. That link is the best I could find.

Or if you can't be bothered with messing, check out PhotoPlus 5.5 which is enough to get by with. Search for Photoshop 3 tutorials as these demonstrate how to use the layer manager effectively without mentioning special effects, most of which will not be supported by PhotoPlus 5.x. Has a spyware program in the package but it's not aggressive and is standalone so you can be safely deleted.

Pixia is freeware and it might be good; it supports layers but I don't know much else about it. Tutorials and message board to help you out though! :thumbsup:

http://www.satoripaint.com also have a free version, see products, though I've never seen it and don't know what it's like.

Humn... think that's all. Check magazines for freebies (not trials) like Micrografx Picture Publisher or Corel Paint which are also good alternatives.

The biggest difference in old/new is the range of special effects they come with, especially lighting effects or textured paint tools, but many of those effects can be reproduced on older software with a little know how. Nobody prevented Photoshop 3 users producing awsome graphics back in 1995 - they just took a lot longer and required a lot more skill ;)

Can someone get a me a picture of Gordon Liu's character from Kill Bill vol. 2?

Pai Mei, I think the name is. he's the Asian guy with lots of white hair.

cgannon64 said:
Can someone get a me a picture of Gordon Liu's character from Kill Bill vol. 2?

Pai Mei, I think the name is. he's the Asian guy with lots of white hair.

Here's one at 70x, it's under 4KB as well

Attachments

• PaiMei.jpg
    PaiMei.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 241
Could someone make me a Pentagram avatar? I'm thinking something like what I have now, only bigger and incorporating flames or anything Satanic or generally considered evil.

could somebody make my current avatar with a translucent background and maybe a bit "cleaner". It looks all choppy with those colors. If you have time, I'd like to see maybe a 3d effect, too.:)

I really need to change my Avatar. I keep getting people thinking I'm Moonsinger, or female, or both. Nothing wrong with either of those obviously ;), but to avoid confusion my new avatar should be different from Moonsinger's and a little more manly.

I've done a little search on the net and found that there used to be an HMS Dianthus (See this site, though it's a bit slow).

This is the badge from the HMS Dianthus :

Maybe something along those lines? Note that it doesn't have to have a shield!

Any help much appreciated :goodjob:

An alternative, with... erm... ussual problem :mischief:

Attachments

• danthius.png
    danthius.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 550
Thanks Plexus and stormbind :goodjob:. I prefer stormbind's so far. Plexus' one has a little too much complexity for 70x70.

@stormbind, is the ... erm... usual problem that it's bigger than 4Kb? I should be able to sort that out myself. I notice it's only 65x65. Is that intentional? I thought 70x70 was the size? A 100x100 for my Profile picture would be nice too (hint hint :)).

I think I'll have to put the "Small But Hardy" in my sig :mischief:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom