New Unit: LandsKnecht November 2, 2004

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
LANDSKNECHT, a German mercenary foot-soldier of the 16th century. The name (German for "man of the plains ") was given to mark the contrast between the force of these soldiers, formed by the emperor Maximillian I about the end of the 15th century, and the Swiss, the men of the mountains, at that time the typical mercenary infantry of Europe. After the battles of Marignan and Pavia, where the military reputation of the Swiss had been broken, the Swabian landsknecht came to be considered the best fighting troops in Europe. Though primarily a German force and always the mainstay of imperial armies, they served in organized bodies as mercenaries elsewhere in Europe; in France they fought for the League and for the Protestants indiscriminately. In fact Landsknecht, and more particularly its French corruption lansquenet, became in western Europe a general term for mercenary foot-soldiers. It is owing to the lange Spiesse (long pike or lance), the typical weapon with which they were armed, that the corrupted French form, as well as a German form, lanzknecht, and an English lanceknight came into use.

"LANDSKNECHT." LoveToKnow 1911 Online Encyclopedia. © 2003, 2004 LoveToKnow.
http://80.1911encyclopedia.org/L/LA/LANDSKNECHT.htm

He's pictured here with a Zweihander instead of the more common Pike. Made at Loulong's request (I hope the tights turned out ok ;) ).

File: 946kb
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/LandsKnecht.zip

Preview of the three attacks (each cycles on it's own and can be used in any order or number arrangement.)

Attachments

• LandsKnecht_Attack_Preview.gif
    LandsKnecht_Attack_Preview.gif
    89.4 KB · Views: 5,224
That hat clashes with... errr... everything :D.

I wouldn't want to get in the way of that sword! Good job! :goodjob:

EDIT: Ummm, is it just me or is he a tad large? (First impressions)

The Great Apple said:
That hat clashes with... errr... everything :D.
It's civ coloured. ;)

Thank you Kinboat, I think it looks great! :goodjob:
I love the victory, it makes him look like Nick Oliveri on a fancy dress party. ;)

Where to put it in the standard game? Banking? :crazyeye:

I haven't tested the size out in the game... but since I used the same base human model I have been using and I don't recall changing the camera settings I can only suggest he might look bigger due to his large poofy sleeves and somewhat bulky doublet. That and maybe his sword :D Yes I forgot to mention that the feathers on his hat are the civ-color... I had so many other colors in this unit that I had a hard time keeping the civ-colors where they were supposed to be.

It's an excellent unit, Kinboat. But I think Landsknecht means 'servant, armed with lance'.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
The troops of Emperor Charles V. have plundered Rome sometime in the early 16th century. The pope escaped in the St. Angel Castle.

I knew you'd say that Embryodead :D

He's wearing a wide brimmed hat (can't find out what they might have been called) with two large civ-colored feathers.

Yes (the entry in the first post says basicly that)... While most of the LandsKnecht would've wielded a pike other weapons were used, and I choose the sword for the COOL factor and because there aren't enough big blades being swung around by units these days :D

Just in time when I was looking for a Germanic Swashbuckler replacement unit. Great!

Wonderful unit as always!, nice smooth animations :goodjob:

His legs look a bit skinny though, compared to the rest of him, it would be good if his arms were civcoloured as well ;)

I'd like to see this guy armed with a halberd, to add some variety :)

Kal-el said:
the legs look skinny because the shirt is so poofy.
Yeah, the shirt is massive. You use more cloth for the width than for the length. :crazyeye:

Love it! My secrcet wishes have been fulfilled....

Top Bottom