New Unit: Janissary - June 9th 2005

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
A Janissary... A member of a military elite formed in the Ottoman Empire around 1330 by Murad I, and the first Ottoman standing army. Initially made up of slaves and war captives, many of them Christian, the Janissary corps became so powerful and respected that Turkish Muslims began enrolling their sons and the tribute from conquered territories was abolished in 1683. In 1826, after many revolts and coups, the sultan began forming a new army. The Janissaries in Istanbul revolted and were forced to retreat to their barracks when most of the army and populace turned against them. Artillery was fired into the buildings and many of the Janissaries were killed. Survivors were executed or banished. This unit represents the Janissaries sometime after 1440 when they adopted firearms.

File: 731kb
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Janissary.zip

Preview of the attack:

Attachments

• Janissary_PreviewAttack.gif
    Janissary_PreviewAttack.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 4,309
Glad to see I'm not the only one who felt Civ3 could use a real janissary unit. There aren't a lot of musketmen/arquebusier replacements, and janissaries have a pretty interesting history, too. Who thought giving your enemy's kids some guns would work so well. I sure did, but fortunetely for the Turks, DYFS wasn't around in the 15th century..
Sword_Of_Geddon said:
This is really something Kinboat. Makes an excellilent secondary UU for the Ottomons... :goodjob:
Secondary? The sipahi is a terrible UU from a historical standpoint; in reality they were basicically inferior knights (owned less land, less equipment than European counterpart) that became entirely obsolete in the 1600's. Where firaxis got the duel-pistol weilding cavalry idea is anyone's guess (but it sure does look cool).

Hey Kinboat... do me a favor, please? Upload that awesome Musket prop to your Human figure for poser thingy so Civ Army stops using that silver tube on a brown stick? Please?

Hey, great unit, as always KB! I'm going to insert this guy as the Mithril Musketeers for Bastok in my FF mod.

Top Bottom