DAR01 - The Sun Never Sets

Permission granted here Sir Coolio.

Permission granted! Cry havoc, and all that jazz!

EDIT:

I need more sleep... :sleep:

It was a cold day outside of oslo. George and his men were incamped behind a hill.
"Tommorow! The war will be over!"
"YEAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" cried the men.
6:38am, Major General George had his troops ready to strike.
"CHARGE!"

they flew down the hill like mad animals the Vikings didnt know what hit them. The clashing of swords and spears was music to George's ears. This was a slaughter, the Viking spearmen had no knowledge of Infantry and were distroyed easily. That day Ragnar, King of Scandinavia was hung outside of Oslo. The Viking war was over, but a new one was just begginning.

OUTSIDE OF BARCELONA, SPAIN.
"So this is to be a sneak attack?" asked Frank.
"Yes, be quite here comes the scout" said Floyd.
*Floyd walks up to scout*
then the scout starts," By order of Queen Isabella of france you must leave the territ--AHHHHH ugh ugnnhhh."
"why'd you stab him? Isabella said we have to leave!" Said Frank
"Oh will you shut up?"

Then came the 3 day siege of Barcelona.
Three times our mighty armys clashed with the pikemen of Spain. These men were much more advanced than the vikings had been. Many men died and no words can be used to discribe the horror of these battles. But after the fighting, the city was ours.
"torch it sir?"
"No, I have heard there is a grand stucture in this city"

Sure enough there was, Sun Tzu's Art of War. It gives us plans so that we can incorperate a barracks in every city we build straight away.

Anyway, the war with spain will be a long one, they have many cities on islands and their capital is on a hill. So was barcelona and there were many casualties there too.
good luck next player!

Attachments

• european empire.JPG
    european empire.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 185
We won’t be able to destroy Spain as two of their cities are on one-tile islands. I would suggest we destroy all land-based cities, take one of the island cities in the peace deal and than leave them with a OCC on an island. I could be wrong but it looks like Spain’s fifth city is NE of Oslo, in the tundra.

After Spain I suggest we take out Rome since they only have two cities.

We need cats or trebs bad. Madrid has the city bonus plus is on a hill so I hate to even bother attacking without bombarding first. We’ll lose a lot of units without them. After all Spain was nice enough to road directly up to their capitol. I’d suggest we start building some trebs but that’s just my opinion.

I’d probably have attacked Rome first as both cities are only towns plus they have a settler-spear combo out and about. This would have also allowed us to build our army back up to face Spain.

Dover needs to switch off of Muskets since it doesn’t have a barracks.

Either way you did pretty good Coolio, congrats on taking out the Vikings.

BTW, who's up?

Edit:

Darwin420- Up
CoolioVonHoolio - Just played
Vinthekid- On Deck ??
Whomp- On Deck ??
Methos
MjM
Soul Warrior

The Armstrong Clan is ready to lead our magnificient army!
I got it.

well, as we are approaching that period in history where things actually were HAPPENING, i decided to pour some historic trivia (to some) or vital knowledge (to me :mischief: )
so, check out these here links to some chapters in the early history of the most magnificent people on this, our planet

The venerable Bede, not always a Grumpy Old Man :D
Jules' invasions, Always the bad guy!
Boudicca, alway a hottie, and let the resistance VS Jules
Some generic Timelines for the history of the Islands
and the year 410 anno domini, the year the Romans were kicked out (according to english lore) or bade the peoples of the island defend themselves (probably roman historians. told you Jules was a loser ;) )

more shall follow as we advace in years, and gain power over the weaklings of Europe!

Please give me one more day. I have 2 more turns to finish but not tonight. Too tired. I would like to request permission to attack the Romans. I have also declared on the Americans when some stupid guys in Chicago denied my request for 4g pieces. They said, "Dis is not da place to do dat". They talk funny so I declared. We may have a colony on North America before I'm done .

Go ahead, we planned on whipping the Romans anyway. Recall one of the variants was we had to declare on America immediately and stay that way until the modern ages.

Edit: Though I'm curious how we'll manage this with war weariness. Won't WW get extremely bad long before we hit the MA?

Time in war is not an issue with WW.
The only way it will get bad is if we lose units and spend a large amount of time in their territory or they in our territory. We probably can't afford to have a major campaign to take Washington since the cost of troops will be so great. Pick off the outskirts, heal and move.

I would like to say one more thing. I said earlier fire will blow through my nostrils if we wreck our rep. Now I can't remember if Wang was cancelling a incense deal or asking for one but until we have ocean routes with the fog cleared....please, please, fire spewing please do not cut any lux or resource deals with far flung nations. Severing a coastal trade routes is very easy to do with one simple war.

Coletun meant "man from the dark town" and Armstrong was the surname for a clan of "strong armed men". Cole was from the great mountain town of Liverpool. Liverpool was most known for some famous musicians that often played in London to entertain it's great citizens but not the Armstrongs. Coletun was the most brutish of the Armstrong clan and rose to power in the city of Liverpool at a very young age. The time came when he followed the footsteps of many Armstrongs. Coletun joined the cause. His reputation grew from the great battle of Barcleona.

Cole believed in a few tenets for the country's well being and is a theme throughout his tenure.
1. Economics and commerce. Money and building places where the people could buy goods at the local market. The markets in turn could be taxed and this would help grow the great country.
2. Science. To stay ahead of other countries Cole believed it was his responsibility to educate the masses. Places where books could be stored and read by everyone would be built throughout the country. This generousity would pay off handsomely. There was a group of scientists who were studying mixtures and reactions who would come up with some amazing things. He would learn more about this later.
3. Expansionism. As the country grew, more land and food would be necessary. Spain was in the way of this goal. The would pay a heavy price for getting in the way.
4. Trade. Trade with all the backwards countries of the world would require diplomacy and shipping. Cole believed shipping would one day be one of the countries great attributes.

Now was his time to lead this great country and this is the story. The first thing Cole did was threaten Caesar. Cole felt Rome would be part of England soon enough. Caesar the weak gave this reaction. Cole left him alone for the time being since it bankrupted the Roman economy.

Cole also relieved many old regular units of their duty and they gave an immediate impact to their cities. They also helped reduce the cost of maintaining the Army.

In the following years Cole discussed the benefits of engineering with Montezuma. Montezuma offered back the benefits of Monarchy, all of the Aztecs gold 237g and also would pay 9 gpt for generations to come. Armstrong really had no interest in the benefits of Monarchy but felt he could sell this philosophy to many backwards clans from around the world. He sold it to the Chinese for 72g, the Koreans for 64g, the Carthaginians for 36g, France for 33g, Shaka for 33g and 23g to the Germans. This wiped out all of these leading countries treasuries and bolstered the English coffers. Many science and commerce projects were finished early by paying workers extra to work longer hours. Everyone was happy.

Years later reports from across the ocean were coming back about a new country. We looked forward to new trade.

These people lived in a warm climate, talked funny and really were quite crass. Cole requested all of their gold because they should pay tribute to us and think of it as protection money. It was only 4g.

These strange words angered Armstrong. He made his case in front of parliment and it was so. War with America!

As time went on there was a great scientist who was recognized. This man was able to mix great potions and with help from the books in the libraries developed a new science. Chemistry. Sir Isaac Newton was made very wealthy from his new developments and was able to finance a great project that would help the military for centuries.

A few years later, Cole was called upon by Wang of Korea. Wang wanted to strike a deal for furs and 19gpt for his incense. "Rubbish", Cole said. Cole realized without reasonable trade routes this would never work. "Someday, most honorable Wang, boats will cross oceans and then we can revisit this". Wang thought Armstrong was insane.

Sir Isaac Newton helped finance a great project. It cut the cost of refitting the military in half. This was used aggressively in the subsequent year.

In the same year Armstrong traded the benefits of invention for chivalry and 68g to India. It was their whole treasury and knights would be very useful as the great nation expanded its horizions.

Many years had passed and the military was waiting for the major battle for Madrid. There were 9 infantry regiments and 3 trebuchet regiments on the approaches of Madrid. This battle was especially brutal. There were 4 regiments lost including one elite regiment but another was promoted to elite. Books were very important to Cole and this was very exciting to him.

After Madrid, Barcelona fell without a loss. The Spainards were off mainland Europe.

This agreement was accepted by Cole since he didn't know where the rest of the country was. The English gained a tundra town and a colony in the Middle Eastern desert. There was also a minor skirmish on the American coastal city of Seattle. A sword regiment attacked our first knight regiment and lost but the knight was too damaged to carry on. There were reinforcements on the way.

Armstrong felt it was time to call on Rome again and request "their reason to exist gold". This was Julius' answer....

Again, Cole requested permission to eliminate this scourge. They agreed and Veii was taken without a fight. Rome had many units at its doorstep as well.

Cole finished his tenure by trading monotheism to the Carthaginians for 85g, monarchy to Smoke for 36g and Temujin of the Uglies for 28g.

This is the story of Coletun Armstrong. He was a tired old man when he retired at the old age of 42 and felt it best to step down for another great leader to lead the country. Cole retired in Madrid where he sat in the library and read many of the great works. They were all there.

Spoiler :
There is a settler on the way to Gilbraltar area. I would continue to pop settlers. We still have some area to fill in. Who's next on our list of victims?

For the record, I will be unavailable Friday-Sunday. Friday I will be prepping for a big music festival; Saturday my band will be playing the music festival :band: ; Saturday night we will be partying at the music festival :beer: :smoke: ; and Sunday, I will be recovering :crazyeye:

I got it but won't be able to play until Wednesday. I DM an Eberron campaign every other Tuesday and tomorrow is that Tuesday.

In order to keep things moving I'd be willing to switch with MJM if he/she believes they can play it before Wednesday.

Top Bottom