Dawn of Humanity Mod - WIP

Even though Civ IV is coming out shortly, is there still interest in a mod like this?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • I may try the beta and see

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Not sure but leaning no

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No, absolutely not

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Go for it anyhow and see what happens

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Arturus

Warlord
The release of the first beta of this mod won't be until at least the mid-part of October (unfortunately right around the time Civ IV comes out), but irregardless, I am going to continue to make this mod and want to release it to anyone who is interrested and either doesn't have Civ IV or still plays Civ III mods.

The DoH mod will be released in two parts. The first beta will essentially be a flavour mod. As many flavour units as possible are being added to the game, some of the techs are being changed, and other general improvements to the look and feel of the standard Civ III game are being done. I am releasing a beta at this point just to ensure that everything is working as it should and no one finds any bugs are problems (such as stuttering sound effects which I have found in one unit).

The second part will contain changes to the tech tree, new buildings and wonders, and other new components that directly alter game balance. This will probably require more intensive beta testing to ensure that everything works as it should and is reasonably realistic and balance. My hope is to eventually turn it into two mods. One which is a flavour mod of the original game, and one that builds on that to change the game in order to, I hope, make it better.

Here are my goals for the first part:

1. To make each civilization's units as unique as possible while still maintaining a reasonable corrolation between the various units in terms of time frame (ie. not having two different archer units that look like they were created 2000 years apart).

2. To make the overall game look and feel better by changing some of the graphics and leaderheads. In other words, to make the game look better.

3. To eliminate redundant or unneeded civilizations in order to replace them with fresh, new ones that are unique compared to others. (I'm not revealing which, it is part of the surprise).

Here are my goals for the second part:

1. To expand the tech tree and re-distribute when units become available in order to better reflect the time frame of evolution between new forms of weaponry. Musketmen will no longer be available shortly after feudalism, Napoleonic units will be available later in the game, the Industrial era will contain the latter part of Napoleonic times and the beginning of evolution to the modern era while the modern era will absorb many of the Industrial technologies (such as flight, the radio, electronics, and atomic theory).

2. To add new improvements to reflect vital ones that are currently missing, this particularly applies to the ancient and medieval eras

3. To add new modern era units to make that time period more interresting and exciting and to readjust the capabilities of existing units (submarines will become more powerful, and ASW units, helicopters, heavy bombers, and other units will be added).

4. Any other changes that seem fitting to make with any suggestions for changes being welcome.

The second part is not completely thought out yet as I have been focusing on getting part one done ASAP. Part one is about 40% complete and I will be trying to beat my deadline. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, ideas, or anything else to add please feel free to do so. This topic is for updates, discussion, ideas, etc.

One question I do have, and it may seem rather simple. How do I add a link in my signiture?

Alright, this is the post I will be using for any requests I have as I go through the process of making this mod. Right now I haven't finished the list of units I do have so it will just be leaderheads at the moment.

Leaderhead Requests:

Rome - Caesar Augustus

China - Qin Shi Huang

Ottomans - Suleiman I

Spain - Carlos I (English name - Charles V)

I've only really just begun to explore my modding potential so it's a pain that civ4 is so close. My Aztec mod is still far from complete and I hope many people stay round civ3 for a while yet. I like your mod. I will definitley keep watching and help if I can.
Re: Signature links. On user cp go to the option on the left that says edit signature. Then place the text. You should have a tool on the toolbar that says insert link or hyperlink when you float over it. Highlight the text, press the link tool and a little box appears. You can paste the url of your link here.

Yes, because Civ IV is going to be error prone in the beginning, so we will need something to play while we wait.

Yeah, I probably won't touch Civ4 for at least a few months. I couldn't imagine playing vanilla Civ3 now, after everything the modding community has done to make it better. Plus, bugs and gameplay tweaks. And if there's no flavor units I'll have to wait for someone to make those, so every civ's units don't look European. Hell, I just got enough material to finished a mod of my own. Sounds alot like yours

Well I am delighted at the positive feedback to date. By the end of the weekend I will try to update my database of added units. All of the units I have won't be in it, I only add them into the spreadsheet as I add them into the game so there will still be a couple of dozen units that I have that aren't listed. Regardless, I hope that it will give you some idea of what I have so far and maybe some of you will have suggestions for units I missed.

I guess I should probably ask, will Excel documents upload onto here or does it need to be in word?

Alright, I was going to make the new civilizations a surprise but I'm going to need some help finding units for them so I may as well post them here now.

My goal was to increase African representation, introduce significant nations that were forgotten, and eliminate redundant/boring/less significant civilizations.

Byzantium is being replaced by Nubia so I am going to need Nubian and Ethiopian units for them (I have a Nubian horseman unit so far).

Portugal is being replaced by Abyssinia

Arabia is being replaced by Mali

Pretty much all those LHs have actually been done. Have a browse through the Graphics sub-forum, and also click on the links in sigs of LH creators such as R8XFT, Shibbo, Jorde or Civ Army to get to their libraries.

For Nubian units, you're best off using the Egyptian unit pack that Kinboat did. For Ethiopians, you're going to have a hard time finding anything specific other than Civ Army's Ethiopian Archer. For Mali, you might use the Songhai Knight that (I think) Dom Pedro II did; that's the only really specifically West African-looking unit that I know of.

Top Bottom