[Map Script] Full of resources

Sto

Should i code today ...
This script include a version of most of the public random maps generator ( Archipelago , Lakes , Terra , Pangaea , Custom Continents , Hub , Fractal , Continents, Inland Sea, Ring, Wheel, Islands, Shuffle, Big and Small, Hemispheres, Medium and Small, Tectonics, Chess (A funny Personal MP map) ) :

1.74 compatibility : OK
WARLORDS compatibility : OK ( With the great help of FastWorker )
BtS 3.17 compatibility : OK
BtS 3.19 compatibility : OK
MAC compatibility : OK ( By AlanH )

Translated in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish . (I used altavista , so do not hesitate to MP me if there are translation errors)

Features :

- The main purpose of the script is to generate some maps that grant a fair start for each players, especially for MP games.
- When you select the script, a screen show up where you can choose a lots :)eek:) of options. I won't make the list of all options :crazyeye:. But the main feature of the script is that you can select several maps and options -> all chosen at random during the generation. There are some options to control terrain, forest, goodies, resources, starting resources, normalizations, move human players far away in MP games, add some animals, barbarian cities, units, reveal some part of map, choose starting technologies, ...
- All helps to use the script are written in the Welcome page of the screen ;).
- If you want another map to be added, do not hesitate to ask for.

To install :

- Download FullOfResources.zip
- Unzip
- Put the file into the folder : <Civ4 Folder>\PublicMaps (only one copy in the Vanilla folder is enough)
- Choose Custom game in the singleplayer menu (or multiplayer) and select the script to play.

N.B : For the MOD "Rise of Mankind", you have to put a copy into the folder "PublicMaps" of the MOD for the version 2.62 or higher of the MOD.

How to report a bug :

- please post a zip of "MapGenerationDbg.txt" and "MenuDbg.txt" located in "My documents\My Games\CivilizationIV Full of Resources" with the description of what happened. These 2 debug files are a great help to determinate a bug if I can't reproduce it.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED THE SCRIPT FROM THIS THREAD ... REPORT THE BUG WHERE YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED IT !!

Bugs reported :

- If you play with a MOD that use a final debug dll (like the WoC mod system). You should have 2 errors pop when the screen show up (these 2 errors are intended and don't create bugs). Just select "ignore always" to continue. You can also back up the debug dll and use the final dll instead in the MOD folder.

To Do list :

- functions to equalize starting flood plains, beakers,best plot, minimize water tiles, hills, forest.
- choose rand seeds.

Working on :

- Nothing.

Spoiler :
To AlanH :
Modified version for Mac OS X by AlanH :
Mac OS X changes: _winreg calls replaced by Mac OS path definitions.
Mac OS X changes: Mac OS path uncompress definitions.
Mac OS X changes: python 2.4 sort calls replaced by Mac OS python 2.3 definitions.

To Bringa :
Many advise for FFH2 customization and feed backs

To FastWorker :
Many help for warlord compatibility ,tests and feed backs

To Balerion :
tests and feed backs

And also to all other peoples from CfC that helps me for testing or giving me some feed backs.

Versions :
Spoiler :

version 3.11 : released the 05/14/2010.
- a change to recognize BtS for some steam version.
- removed the water a poles for lakes.
- include the most popular FfH mods to get the FfH tab.
- Fix a bug with starting locations for MODs with multiple barbarian civilization.

version 3.10 : released the 07/11/2009.
- moved the call for improvement functions when the game is advanced start (that caused goodies and fhh improvements to be skipped).

version 3.09 : released the 07/08/2009.
- updated for BtS 3.19 patch.
- removed the "open browser" button -> cause crash with latest(*2) patch.
- replaced all -1 with good attribute like TeamTypes.NO_TEAM to prevent a bug with a mod that duplicate functions and change vars called(previously caused a bug that prevent goodies to appear).

version 3.08 : released the 04/26/2009.
- update for the Rise of Mankind MOD to allow March generation.

version 3.07 : released the 03/21/2009.
- rework "swap human players" and "isolate human players" options :
the "swap human players" option is made for MP games : if multiple continents, grant a fair display of human players (not one on an isolated island and others in the main land). grant the maximum path distance between humans players.
the "isolate human players" option place players as isolated as possible : on the less populated continents/islands and grant a maximum path distance with other players on a same area.
- remove the hardcode of the barbarian civilization (get the xml define instead). That was the cause of the crash with Fall Further.
- the option "place all unique improvements" with FfH2 is now taken in count during generation.
- the FfH2 tab is now shown when playing with Fall Further. So you can adjust placement and appearance with unique improvements and lairs.
- the animals have the right civilization for Fall Further now (not the orc civ but the animal civ).

version 3.06 : released the 09/17/2008.
- minor changes for FfH2 improvements placements.

version 3.05 : released the 08/15/2008.
- minor changes for FfH2 improvements placements.

version 3.04 : released the 07/26/2008.
- a bug fixed for MP games and the new FfH2 options. The non hosting players couldn't generate the map properly.

version 3.03 : released the 07/19/2008.
- If the default starting location must be run (may happen if there are too many players on a small map ,or old continent start : the script don't take in count placement of players with a distance less than 6 minus between players) : the coastal/inland start may be respected, the old world start will be respected, and the placement for hub, ring wheel will be respected.
- remove the version in the name of the script. Made first to prevent cache problems and no more cause problems with 3.13. This may prevent to update the script and have an error in your current game if it request an older script version name.
- rework the FFH2 barbarian world option. The barbarian cities are placed like in FoR with the units ,distance and buildings selections. Players can't start anymore on a barbarian city (FFH bug).
- FfH2 : control of unique features placement (%, normal ,far or only island placement). The maelstrom is placed in an inland sea if possible.
- FfH2 : control of Lair placement (standard, %). Towers are placed on choke points. All lairs are distributed on the map to prevent package of them. All lairs that spawn units are placed so they don't pack each others.

version 3.02 : released the 07/11/2008.
- Tectonics map by LDiCesare added.
- fix to prevent a CtD when you select the script if you can't use the game options with the MOD you play (would happened only when the MOD didn't load fine).
- option to begin on less populated continents.

Version 3.01 : released the 07/09/2008.
- some safety measures for text encoding and decoding for the menu.
- animals spawn get Hidden Nationality for FFH2.

Version 3.00 : released the 07/04/2008.

-> The script has been updated the 07/11/2009 . Version 3_10
##^^FoR_Current_Version : 3.11^^##

Attachments

• For1.JPG
    For1.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 5,135
Thanks for posting these. I just put them into the game and these types of maps are exactly waht I have been looking for. Now I can play my own custom game on a custom map instead of having to play a mod that someone has built with everything added. Please post more of these as they become available.

Thanks

WOW! STO these maps are REALLY stuffed full of resources. Ok, first thank you for doing these. Now a small request, is there a way to tone them down just a bit? As it stands we have the standard resources poor maps from Fraxias and yours that are bit too rich in resources. Thx again.

yeah, red diamond ,there is a way to change aleatory setting:

you may edit the map Sto_*.py you want to change with python ( you can have it for free on the web) or notepad.

there two ways to change this :

-one way:
search for the string : "random.randint(1,100)" ,it appear two times(one for water and one for land) .if you increase 100 you will have less chance for aparitions of resources.and if you decrease it ,there are more resources !(this is the simple way!)

-secondway:
search : "buffer_water = [(0,0),(0,1),(4,4),(16,12),(37,22),(48,40)]"
and : "buffer_land = [(0,0),(0,1),(4,3),(15,12),(35,20),(45,35)]"
(with the search function !?)

those values are stored in :"(stchanceland,pachanceland)=....."

you can set those values by:
(stchancewater,pachancewater)= (6,4)
(stchanceland,pachanceland)= (8,3)

the program check all plot,and put aleatory resource ,the first time the chance is 5/100 (5 is for 6-1), then (5+4)/100, then (5+4*2)/100 etc... for water and the chance is 7/100 ,(7+3)/100 ,(7+3*2)/100 etc... for land ;until it place a resource and restart.

you may change as you want those numbers to reduce the number of resources ( or increase ?!) :
ex: if you set "(stchanceland,pachanceland)= (51,0)" ,you have exactly 1/2 chance to have a bonus for each plot.

you can also edit:
"buffer_water = [(0,0),(0,1),(4,4),(16,12),(37,22),(48,40)]" and "buffer_land = [(0,0),(0,1),(4,3),(15,12),(35,20),(45,35)]"
wich set those values for each level of the 'resources' button.
(0,0) can't be changed
(0,1) is for "very low" level
(4,4) is for 'low' level
(16,12) is for 'normal' level
(37,22) is for 'lots' level
(48,40) is for 'huge' level
etc...

if you are a novice (or best) programmer ,it will be easy to adjust setting for each resource as you want.

Note:this same is possible with goody hut by searching : "random.randint(1,1000)" or "buffer_goody" ....
but chance is */1000 instead of */100.

have fun games , tcho!

the proceed also put a resources near each starting location :

you may edit the map Sto_*.py you want to change with python ( you can have it for free on the web) or notepad and search :
"resourcesToAdd = ('BONUS_COAL', 'BONUS_COPPER'," ...
"resourcesToWater=('BONUS_FISH','BONUS_WHALE')"
"resourcesToAddTwo = ('BONUS_ALUMINUM', 'BONUS_URANIUM', 'BONUS_OIL', 'BONUS_HORSE', 'BONUS_IVORY')"

resourcesToAdd set the resources that will appear near starting location
resourcesToWater set the resources of water that will appear near starting location
resourcesToAddTwo set the resources that will appear around starting location

add those you want to appear near capitol or delete those you don't want.

have fun games ,tcho!

I add two new maps : (updated in StoPublicMaps.zip ,take it in the first post)

- a version of team_battleground .
- a version of the map created by ZEE called life .

I also edit a bug with resources near starting location in the file 'StoUtil.py'

have fun games, tcho!

I am not good enough to create an entire map ...(but i try !!)

I just take some public maps and modify as i want .So i can't do an earth map ,Sorry!

have fun games ,tcho!

I create a new little funny map called Sto_chess.

I learn to create maps,and this is my first map so i just test all functions i found.
but the result is interresting . try it ! and reply me if you have any suggestion or idea to make this map more attractive !

You can find this map in the first post of this thread . I've updated the file StoPublicMaps.zip

have fun games ! tcho!

I add two buttons for each map :

- one set the level of resources .
- one set the starting location resources .

If you want to customize those button ,read the 4th and the 6th post.

I also made lots of change on the map Sto_chess, adding lakes and modifying rivers.

All files are in the first post of the thread !

have fun games, tcho !

I add lots of button:

- a button wich set a level of resources
- a button wich add resources near starting location
- a button wich replace peak
- a button wich replace desert
- a button wich replace jungle
- a button wich replace tundra
- a button wich replace ice
- a button wich delete ice on water

I'm sure you will enjoy to set the terrain like you want in the random generated maps!

you can find all maps in the first post of this thread !!!!

note : for those who put a previous version , you should delete 'StoUtil.py' .there was a problem of compatibility with Civilization . Now ,it is useless.

have fun games ,tcho!

Wow, talk about being chock full of resources! I played around a bit and tried turning peaks into lakes instead of hills, and the results were interesting! I'm going to play around with the slider a bit... the "HUGE" Resources setting was way over the top, but I had to try it. ;)

It's kind of a fun little map script, though I fell like I'm cheating when I play it. Just a little. :D

I add a new button wich set the number of goody hut that will appear on the map .

I also fix a bug that make appear some bonus in the iced water ,and many bugs on Sto_chess.I also add a button that set a level of forest in Sto_chess. I will try to make it for the other map !

all files are in the first post of the thread !

:goodjob: tcho !

Hey, I think this is fantastic.
I've been playing around with the new button settings and I am trying to get a starting spot that has iron, copper, coal, uranium, aluminum, stone, and marble all within or near my starting spot but have a normal amount or resources everywhere else. It seems that if I chose standard then I don't get all of the resources that I want near my starting spot and if i chose low then there seems to be a little too many resources overall. Any ideas?

thanks ! by the fact ,i can 't do setting that everone like ,and the proceed i made to generate resources is very weak and don't control anything. But you may edit this button by reading the 4th and 6th post( I' ve edit them) .(ask me if it is not clear ! i'm not a master in english !).there is details to edit the frenquency of resources and the start location resources .

I will also set a new level in the resources button :level 'very low'

For the moment , I can't allow start ressources if you choose standart resources sorry !(but i will look at this !)

have fun games, tcho !

Thanks so much for a great idea.

The only problem I have with it in terms of game mechanics is that it makes the resource trading aspect of diplomacy nerfed to all heck (since everyone has most every resource)

Would there be a way to have resources centralized somewhat? So that one area of the map might have a lot of wheat while another was abundant in rice? This would allow for both the resource rich maps while still allowing the trading aspect of the game.

Cheers!

durwoodx

thanks for that good idea ! .it seems to be hard for me to do that ,i will try in a future version .

tcho!

Hi!
This is the new version of Sto_Chess :

-I add a button to spread resources by region .(increasing the trading , thanks durwoodx)

-I set a new level in the resources button (very low) and adjust settings.

-I change all the generator of resources .(spreading resources is a bit different but more efficient especialy in hills and bad terrains)

-I set a level :'only human' for starting resources .(sorry Darkgreen ,but I can't allow starting resources with standart generation ...i've been trying for hours and after studying the maps of Sirian ,i think it's impossible without making a mod)

If you like to play Sto_Chess, give me your comments or if you have some requests for the new settings , reply me before i make the changes for all the maps (there is lot of work to change them !)

tcho!

Top Bottom