CoL Amendment-Impeaching Governors

greekguy

Missed the Boat
I would like to propose an amendment to our soon to be ratified Code of Laws. This amendment would make it possible to impeach governors, as the current CoL allows Governors to stay in office, with no possibility of impeachment. Now I'm not very good at wording 'official' laws, if someone else could do it, that would be fine...or we could just copy Section 7B of the Code of Laws, and replace the words "cabinet official" with "Governor".

Here's a version you could use (It's a copy of Sub-Section B ;)):

C) Impeachment of Governors
I. The Citizens Assembly may bring an Impeachment Vote against a Governor.

II. An Impeachment Vote requires a 51/100 (51%) majority to pass.

III. A successful Impeachment Vote shall remove the specific Governor named in it from office.

-the Wolf

That would work perfectly Alphawolf! Now we just need discussing for a while, and once the Term 1 Judiciary is up, I'll submit the amendment for polling.

Thanks for opening the floor for this amendment, greekguy. I too thought it was a bit odd that governors could not be removed.

I think that Alphawolf's draft will do just fine.

I wonder - while we're at it, can we change references of 'impeachment' to 'recall?' That's the term used in the Constition for the relevant procedure. It would (hopefully) reduce some potential confusion.

Alright, the Judiciary is now open for business, so now i just need to post a pretend poll in this thread and have it up for 24 hours, and then the Judiciary can review the proposed amendment. So here is the pretend poll:

Do you accept this amendment?

Choices are Yes/No/Abstain

Current Text:

I. Governors may not be Impeached.

Proposed Amendment:

III. A successful Impeachment Vote shall remove the specific Governor named in it from office.

Link to Discussion Thread

There is no indication in the proposed poll about the length of time the poll will remain open. There is also no indication of what is needed for the poll to *pass*. Rather than asking Do you accept this amendment? I think the question should clearly state that this is a ratification poll for an amndment to the code of laws. I also suggest the body of the poll include information regarding whether this is a citizen initiative, an official referendum or an opinion poll.

How about this poll question.

This citizen initiative poll is for the purpose of ratifying an amendment to the Code of Laws allowing the impeachement of Govenors. This poll will run for 4 days beginning with the posting of this poll. For this amendment to pass this poll will require a 6/10 majority of the votes cast.

Do you approve this amendment for impeaching Govenors?

Current Text:

Proposed Amendment:

I think the percentage of yes vote needed to impeach a gov'na should be higher but other than that i agree. 51% may be to low, because with the growing political parties and the fact the some are very large and attempt to extract complete control on there members, then an overachious party official may choose to take another parties gov'na out of office. I beleive it should be 60%, because then a major majority of the population must agree that said gov'na is bad!

I agree with Swissempire on this.

As far as the new proposed poll is concerned, I think it is an improvement over the first one.

As a citizen I recommend changing the threshold to 60%. Procedurally this suggestion needs to either be accepted and the mock poll updated, or rejected and backed up by overwhelming support for a simple majority, or a poll of some kind.

As CJ I note that the JR for this amendment cannot complete until the question of percentage has been resolved.

alright i'll change the percent to 60%. here's the new proposed poll:

This is an official referendum, and the results will have an impact on our laws. This poll will remain open for 4 days. Choices are Yes/No/Abstain

Current Text:

Proposed Amendment:

II. An Impeachment Vote requires a 60/100 (60%) majority to pass.

Link to Discussion Thread

How about this poll question.

This citizen initiative poll is for the purpose of ratifying an amendment to the Code of Laws allowing the impeachement of Govenors. This poll will run for 4 days beginning with the posting of this poll. For this amendment to pass this poll will require a 6/10 majority of the votes cast.

Bengeance said:

Current Text:

Proposed Amendment:

II. An Impeachment Vote requires a 60/100 (60%) majority to pass.

That poll format looks familiar, thanks Bengeance!

This is not a Judicial opinion, but posting as a citizen explaining how the "no comments in 24 hours rule" works:

The 24 hour clock will be from the first post that suggested a change in substance, which is Swissempire's post of Jan 12th suggesting 60% as the vote requirement to impeach. The 24 hour period has passed. If there had been debate between a majority and 60% then the 24 hour period would reset to the last post of the debate.

Top Bottom