Polynesian Speraman

ShiroKobbure

Still modding Civ3
you get more power underhand, it just seems strange to attack overhand, also you have more of a reach, and with your arm fully extended you have more distance and are in the prime spot. with your arm fully extended overhand, your arm must be bend and now its hard to pull it out when your in the man's armour or flesh.

the celtic cavalry used overhand, because they usually threw the spears after a few jabs anyway.

heh. its ok!
good unit though. what will the new attack look like? 2-handed like a pike? side-sweep?

I havent done any 2 handed attacks yet, it seems like it might be hard to manage both hands. I can only make a side-weep or slashing attack if the blade on the spear is designed for that. Most spears are made for thrusting. Only a helibert or glave is made for cuting and thrusting.

I've seen quite a few illustrations of warriors doing overhand thrusts with spears, such as the photograph of a Greek urn with a hoplite battlescene I'm looking right now. I don't have that available in electronic format, but here's some wargaming figurines in the overhand business:

I will make one for the chinese. they had a weapon that is similar to the naginata.
if my only weapon was a spear, I would attack underhand for the reasons I said. Often Europeans used spears as a weapon and then as a missle. And either get another spear or use their sword. you need to do the motions your self and see which is more comfortable, which you would get more power from, and which one it would be easier to pull out of a person so you can attack them agian.

no were did I ever say greeks or any other civilization "never used overhand spear thrusts" I you get more power and it is more practicle.
Also you should have posted pics from the era, not of models and videogames. I have seen them use over hand poses but usually not in combat formation.

Top Bottom