Red Graphics (fixed)

Reana

Chieftain
All cities and improvements show up as red (and some resources). If I zoom out, the globe is red, but the cities are normal colored. See screenshots. This is the only real problem I seem to have now (dual monitors didn't work at first). I've tried messing with various graphics settings, and have the latest Nvidia drivers. Anyone seen this or have a suggestion?

EDIT: Added DxDiag.txt. Also, in case it wasn't clear above, I'm not using dual monitors anymore. (This is only game that I've had to disable dual monitors to play.)

EDIT2: Well I reverted to my old drivers (Nvidia, summer 2005, 77.72), and that fixed it. I had orignally updated the drivers when I was haveing the dual monitor problems.

Thanks,
RtR

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DxDiag.txt
    47.1 KB · Views: 93
I've seen only a couple of times now and I think the other time I saw this was with a 6800 card. If the older driver fixes it then it looks like the developers and nvidia will have to get their collective heads round the problem. Good job on finding a solution though. :)

Just for the record, neither the new patch nor the latest Nvidia drivers fixed this problem. I still have to use the older Nvidia drivers to play (which is a pain when you need newer drivers for newer games).

RtR

This is the exact problem I'm having. The wierd thing about this is some I was using some of the newer drivers in the 8X.xx range and it worked fine. It wasn't until I upgraded my drivers to 91.31 did I start to see this problem. Although I haven't tried the suggested older drivers yet I did try rolling back drivers but still had the same problem.

In my case I've been able to convice the card company to give me a new one. I'm sending my card out today. I just won't be able to play Civ4 over the July 4th holiday. Oh well, at least I have an xbox.

I installed 6600GT today and now have the same problem.

I had none graphical problems at all with my previous card (9800SE).
It seems like bad upgrade to me.:sad:

Hmm, just looks the GT versions are having this problem. I have the 6600 and haven't had any issue with it with 81.98 driver.

I can confirm that the 81.98 driver is fine with a 6600GT. I won't be upgrading anytime soon if this is what the newer driver does, LOL! :crazyeye:

Velvet-Glove said:
I can confirm that the 81.98 driver is fine with a 6600GT.

Right now I have the same drivers and the problem exist.

May be the problem is not driver related after all?
But then I wonder, that what should fix the problem?

Civistynyt said:
Right now I have the same drivers and the problem exist.

May be the problem is not driver related after all?
But then I wonder, that what should fix the problem?

Oh, that's odd. :confused:

Just for the record, my graphics card is a Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT PCI-e 256MB and all my driver settings are the bog standard ones, as installed with the driver (I have neither the time or the inclination to mess with things if they work out of the box). I have made no changes to the card, no overclocking or anything.

I don't know what the problem could be, I can only suggest you perhaps take a look at the nVidia forums where you may get some ideas and/or help from other owners.

Good luck!

Velvet-Glove said:
Just for the record, my graphics card is a Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT PCI-e 256MB and all my driver settings are the bog standard ones, as installed with the driver (I have neither the time or the inclination to mess with things if they work out of the box). I have made no changes to the card, no overclocking or anything.

I have Asus 6600GT 128MB AGP.

My motherboard is 5 years old (Soltek) and the BIOS is also as old.
I think that could be part of the problem. On the other hand, 77.72 works just fine. And with Radeon 9800SE I had no problems at all with any games. I could use any catalyst driver with no problems. Strange.

If the motherboard's BIOS (or something else) is not part of the problem, then Nvidia's drivers just suck.

The 77.72 driver has a overlay bug in it, some videos would display brighter than it normally should. So perhaps best to stay clear from it. The screenshot just looks like an overlay problem to me. Maybe the red channel has completely gone off the scale.

So check the nvidia CP, Settings > Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > 6600GT > Color Correction, click 'Restore Defaults' at the bottom right for all settings in the drop down menu, 'Apply color changes to' found in the top left.

I would upgrade and flash the BIOS if it is that old. Does your mobo have on-board video? If so, be sure that it is disabled in the BIOS if you can or make sure it boots up the AGP first. The AGP slot needs to be 4x speed or higher, makes sure nothing is connected to the mobo's VGA port. I found these BIOS, but I'm not sure which one is right for your mobo, if any http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Soltek/.

If all else fails, it could be a compability problem with the mobo itself.

Zanmato said:
The 77.72 driver has a overlay bug in it, some videos would display brighter than it normally should. So perhaps best to stay clear from it.

Ok, thanks, I'll do that. It seems that the 7x.xx series (the latest 78.01 installed now) drivers work for me. None of 8x.xx works for me. I tried out almost all of them. Is that a coincidence?

Zanmato said:
The 77.72 driver has a overlay bug in it, some videos would display brighter than it normally should. So perhaps best to stay clear from it.
Yeah. Unfortunately, that's the one that fixes the red issue for me (6800GT). So I have to turn off overlays for videos, but Civ4 works fine. But I'll try that 78.01 if I can find it, maybe that'll fix both issues.

Zanmato said:
The screenshot just looks like an overlay problem to me. Maybe the red channel has completely gone off the scale.

So check the nvidia CP, Settings > Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > 6600GT > Color Correction, click 'Restore Defaults' at the bottom right for all settings in the drop down menu, 'Apply color changes to' found in the top left.
All my settings would still be at the defaults, so that wouldn't be the cause in my case.

RtR

Had the same issue with a 6200A card with newest drivers. I rolled back to 78.01 and it's fixed.

Top Bottom