B-17G Flying Fortress

nautil

Warlord
Another lagendary WWII aircraft - B-17G The Flying Fortress ( more info on this airlane at Wikipedia ).
This unit is animated, with sounds, the only thing that is missing are rotating propellers, thoughs static ones present.
Next i intend to model russian bomber PE 8 and later maybe some Italian, French or Polish aircrafts. As u have probably noticed i am engaged in creating WWII airplanes, because i'm fairly interested in Paasky's very promising Mod , and i'd like to help him.

Here screens, polycount and zip archive, still no button icon, but I plan to create about 10-15 aircrafts and then perhaps compose small mod, lets say a " WWII Air Legends" which will include all my models, and then i'll certainly create buttons for all units.

Attachments

• b17screen1.jpg
    b17screen1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 955
  • b17screen2.jpg
    b17screen2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,424
  • b17polycount.jpg
    b17polycount.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 513
  • b17g.zip
    126 KB · Views: 1,076
First post! At last!

But that isn't the G, there's no rear-gunner. It's not the earlier models either because it has the chin gunner. Ain't I a pain? :p

Looks beautiful though, so much better than the lancaster that comes with the game. And it'll be in WWII:SF&B in the next recent (v3.12.1)

Paasky said:
First post! At last!

But that isn't the G, there's no rear-gunner. It's not the earlier models either because it has the chin gunner. Ain't I a pain? :p

Yes, you are right mate, my bad, I shall add rear gunner to make this model a genuine B -17 G. And you are in no case a "pain", on the contrary it's good that u notice such details.

First of all: great model!

What I would really appreciate would be a short tutorial from you in the tutorial section how you skin that model. As I made a few models but just don't seem to find anything about how to skin them.

Thanks a lot if you decide to help me (and lots of others I think).

2 Nozart

Sorry buddy, i simply have no time to write decent guide, in addition my english is quite lame.
But i can give u some tips :

First u need some good pictures of the unit u want to skin. in my case i have nice books and postcard ( images from those i scan), but u can also google needed pictures( mind that some images r copyrighted). Then work them up in your preferable grathical redactor ( photoshop or something else) cut from the image pieces u need for different parts of your model. In most cases u'll have to use clone stamp tool to extend the image since it does not cover all model. Some sections u'll have to draw by yourself. When u made your textures apply them as diffuse maps( and don't forget to convert them to DDS, this will greatly reduce file size) If its position is wrong use UMW Map modifyer and play with gizmo till the result is satisfactory. here take a look at the textures that were apllied to B17 model, i think this will be more understandable than my confused explanation :)

Attachments

• b17textura1.jpg
    b17textura1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 297
  • b17textura2.jpg
    b17textura2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 311
Thanks a lot so far.

If I've done that, what options do I need to choose? I want him to create only one .nif file and get his textures out of my .dss

this is how u usually set export dialouge :

Attachments

• exportdialogue.jpg
    exportdialogue.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 317
Hi.

Just wanted to say a couple things:

1) Nice Planes (not just this one but the others you have done as well)

2) I noticed you said it in this thread and in previous plane postings, what's with the propellers man? Won't somebody please help this man out and make them sweet sweet planes twirl?

Thank u guys for compliments, i'm trying harder to contribute to Civ comunity.

2 Crighton
About propeller, animation for all my planes aren't done by myself by taken from original game units and attached to the models. With single propeller aircraft all goes great. But when it comes to 2 or 4 airsrews there is small proplem. Meshes of my props that i add to NiNode of original fighter spin arround same pivot, though i need 2 or 4differing axis depending on what type of plane i want to animate. I attempted to solve it, tried to duplicate nodes and other things but nothing worked so far. maybe i'll return to this issue later. Meanwhile , if anyone, who understand in all this stuff can overcome this problem i'll be very gratefull , i believe Civ community too.

if it matters, try adding a semi-transparent disk in place of the props.
After all you don't see them while they whirl.

rupertlittlebea said:
if it matters, try adding a semi-transparent disk in place of the props.
After all you don't see them while they whirl.

That's exactly that i did to all my latest models that have more that one propeller ( those with one have nice rotating airscrew, just like my newly uploaded unit Spitfire). Check these planes in game and u wil see semitransparent disk, it's just on some renders that i attach to my posts it's still without props.

nice color/contrast -and appreciate the links to other models, many good looking units amongst those.

Top Bottom