Hyborian Age - King Conan!

Amra

the Lion
Hyboria (King Conan)
for Civ4 Beyond the Sword v3.13
Updated 02/03/2008

As per request I have made a modular civ for BtS that includes the updated Conan LH found HERE.

Installation
Extract this file to your Beyond the Sword "Mods" folder within the Beyond the Sword game directory. For example, C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\MODS.

It should create a folder called "Hyboria" that will include all of the modpack files. In game, click on "Advanced" and then "Load a Mod" to play.

If you want this mod to load automatically every time you play Civ4 Beyond the Sword then edit the "CivilizationIV.ini" file in your "\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword" directory. Search for "Mod = 0" and change it to "Mod = Mods\Hyboria".

This is a modular civ such as can be found in CIV Gold. However, it does include custom music and LH dialogue, both of which can not be made modular at the moment. So, if you want to add this to another modpack such as CIV Gold then the files found in the "XML\Audio" and "XML\GameInfo" folders of this mod would need to be merged with the same files of the mod you are merging it with. A good program for doing this is WinMerge.

DOWNLOAD HYBORIA FOR BTS

Credits
UU - Rabbit, White
UB - woodelf

No joke...

Wow, well done. To crush my enemies and be conan, its... damn near perfect.

Thanks for the nice replies. Please let me know if you find any problems/errors with my work ( first time working with civ4 xml ). After uploading the file, I noticed that I forgot a pedia entry for the Thurian UU. I'll fix that in any future version that I do.

As well as the reference to "Hobbes". I've always used the avatar name of Hobbes but it was already taken here so I went with Amra and forgot to change that in the mod. My apologies to the current Hobbes on this forum :rolleyes:

New version available!

very well done, fun mod. It's nice to see something different for a change, even though I have only heard of Conan and never REH.

Oops, I guess I should have specified that REH is short for Robert E Howard, the author/creator of Conan & many other characters in the late 1920's. I will change that in my first post.

And thanks for the compliment regarding my mod. I think I will try to work on a map for it very soon.

New and probably final version of this civ is available in the first post. I fixed a graphical error and tried to balance the UU's to fit better within the game.

As I just noted, this will probably be the last update unless I can find the time to turn this into a full fledged mod with many other civs & leaders from the Conan stories. I would like to try this at some point if I thought there were enough other people interested. It might be fun.

Thanks again to all the modders at this forum.:goodjob:

Excellent job, I've been looking for a Hyborian Age Mod for quite a while. I did notice the following errors however when the Mod loaded:

Tag: TECH_COMMUNISM in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml

Tag: BUILDINGCLASS_FORBIDDEN_PALACE in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

Tag: BUILDINGCLASS_THREEGORGESDAM in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

I'm running the game with the the 1.61 patch installed, which might be causing the problem. However I've yet to run into any problems with the gameplay. - Again good work!

In a future version I'd really like to see a map of the Hyborian World included.

Alhazred said:
Excellent job, I've been looking for a Hyborian Age Mod for quite a while. I did notice the following errors however when the Mod loaded:

Tag: TECH_COMMUNISM in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml

Tag: BUILDINGCLASS_FORBIDDEN_PALACE in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

Tag: BUILDINGCLASS_THREEGORGESDAM in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

I'm running the game with the the 1.61 patch installed, which might be causing the problem. However I've yet to run into any problems with the gameplay. - Again good work!

In a future version I'd really like to see a map of the Hyborian World included.

You're right, that's because of the new patch. A lot of mods need to be updated after that because a few of the class names (all of them that relate to China) were renamed so that Civ4 could be sold in China. Apparently the Chinese gov't has some strict laws about certain names. :D

TECH_COMMUNISM was changed to TECH_UTOPIA, KEY_LEADER_MAO_ZEDONG was changed to KEY_LEADER_CHINESE_LEADER, etc. :lol:

Ha! That is just too funny. The CCCP always wants things labeled 'correctly'. What did they rename the police state civic? :mischief:

Anyway Amra, have you thought of adding the bit of naf4ever's mod that adds slaves? Fitting for a conan mod.

Alhazred said:

Thanks!
Dual answered correctly about the 1.61 patch causing problems. Right now, I am updating my Modpack for version 1.61 and hope to release that Friday or Saturday. This Civ is included in that with reskinned animated Leaderheads for Conan & Zenobia (See the link in my sig). After I post that, then I will go back & update this civ mod with the static LHs (I like the LH art in this and would like to give someone who wants the stataic LHs, that option).

Sorry about no map, I still want to do one but have been devoting all my free time to my ALH Modpack and on top of that, I've promised to help Civ Gold with a few leaderheads. So, it is on my radar but unfortunately it is a little bit away yet. :blush:

Updated mod to version 1.30
Now compatible with Civ4 version 1.61

Please see the first post for download

Sorry if I sound dumb but who is King Conan and what is the Hyborian Age???I am abosultly culeless on what this is.

Slavic Sioux said:
Sorry if I sound dumb but who is King Conan and what is the Hyborian Age???I am abosultly culeless on what this is.
King Conan is the same as Conan the Barbarian who was a character originally in numerous short stories beginning approximately in 1932 (During some of the stories he was King of Aquilonia). The author was a man by the name of Robert E Howard who tragically killed himself in 1936.

After his death was when Conan became more well known & popular (in the United States anyway). In the 1960's more stories & a series of books were written by other authors. In the 1970's comic books started appearing and in the 1980's two movies ( Not all that great, really :rolleyes: ) were made starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (Later the Terminater).

The Hyborian Age is just a fictitious historical era (Aprox 12,000 BC ) that the original Conan author created in his stories. It is populated by many kingdoms that resemble later historical civilizations. For example, one of his fictitious civs was Stygia which is based on ancient Egypt.

I hope eventually to do a total conversion of Civ4 with a playable map. I am somewhat busy with my modpack for now, though. But after I am done with that (or at least farther along) I want to revisit this mod and see what I can do with some animated leaderheads, new UU's, completely renamed civs, etc.

Grand plans, for sure. In case you still want to know more about the Hyborian Age & Conan, here are a couple links.

Wikipedia

Hyborian Age of Conan

Is this mod compatible with Warlords 2.08?

<Bump>

OK Mr. Amra, you got the big modpack done (I'll download it tonight), so please, please get this one updated to Warlords 2.08!!

<Bump>

OK Mr. Amra, you got the big modpack done (I'll download it tonight), so please, please get this one updated to Warlords 2.08!!
I haven't updated this exact mod but I have released a standalone version of Hyboria as found in my modpack.

For the download link & a screenshot, check out the Fantasy section of the Amra & CIV Gold New Civ Library.

Just a quick note to say this has been updated to BtS. The only civ included now is Hyboria and the only ruler is Conan.

Please see the first post for more info.

Top Bottom