Building Graphics Set - The Tokugawa Period

Ogedei_the_Mad

Caffeinated Khagan
These are graphics for for buildings - an herbalist's shop, a generic small castle, a tea shop, and a printer's shop. The architecture is in the style of the Tokugawa Period (1603 - 1868 CE). :)

Attachments

• TokugawaBuildings1.zip
    238.6 KB · Views: 164
Some previews:

*That's a greeting cat statue by the teahouse door, by the way. ;)

Attachments

• edojidai2.jpg
    edojidai2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 497
  • edojidai1.jpg
    edojidai1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 247
the buildings look really nice, but the "bryce" grass instead of the standard civ grass looks out of place.
What I did was render on a fairly flat free surface. Turn the sky "off" and set it to the same color (do you see the horizon in one of the images? It looks a bit off.). Turn haze and fog off.
export the image after render, cut out the flat green (but not the shadow) and paste the image (minus the grass, but including the shadow) on top of a civ3 style grass. Also, your selected ground cover is much too dark. It makes the entire image very dark, but it calls attention to the fact that your ground is nothing like the standard ground nor like the ground within the game.
Or, if you are more patient, render over a bryce grass. But again have the sky set to be very flat. Or place a giant plane with the ground texture to block the horizon.
Also, the angles of the buildings are different. Most building renders are done from more or less the standard Civ viewing angle. The camera set to around 4500 3500 -4500 if I remember correctly (don't take my word for this angle). There are often variations from artist to artist, but typically not so much within the same release from the same artist. I know I varied a little, but it was as I was learning how to do stuff. I know you already know how.
Also, the position of the sun in these images more less wipes out the shadows robbing the images of some of their vibrancy.

The haze and fog are turned off and I used the Bryce grass simply because all of my other buildings are using Bryce grass. I thought of using Civ grass but it looks far too awkward when placed under Bryce buildings. It looks a little different this time around because the sun settings are wrong. I accidentally set it way off so the shadows don't come out right. That the building angles vary is actually intentional; I wanted to show a bit more of the architectural features, which would not have shown if they were all at the same standard Civ angle and therefore can only be seen through a wonder splash (but these graphics aren't for wonders). I don't intend to re-do them anytime soon since I have 16 classes and 400 kids to handle every day, but I'll consider it once I have enough free time again. ;)

Naturally you have to do what you think is best for your own artistic creations. If you look over some of my buildings, the ones with good shadows were all made in Bryce and they are all on Civ3 grass. Aaglo's buildings are also on a variation of the same grass. So it can be done without looking too strange and it helps them blend in with the other Civ3 buildings.
Good job on the modeling of these buildings. I look forward to your next creations (when those 400 kids give you the time to cope).
16 classes daily... I assume then you are in school administration?

Well, when I have more extra time, I'll get to work on more buildings. I'll probably take up those Mosque requests that Plotnius made earlier this week and if that works out, I might try doing Middle Eastern buildings for a change. :)

16 classes daily... I assume then you are in school administration?

Nope. I'm an English teacher at a Korean school and the only "native-speaking" foreign English teacher. Actually, it's 3-4 classes a day (30 in each, so that's about 90-120 kids a day) but I see all the kids everyday anyway (it's an all-boys middle school of around 400 students total) and they're either very pleasant or they simply totally drive me insane. :eek: I'm very inclined to believe that they all have attention-deficit hyperactive disorder. :crazyeye: The worst part is trying to get them to stop using the same cliched textbook phrases over and over every single time they see me so I practically have to spend most of the day working on lessons and figuring out ways to handle them. I get some last-minute schedule changes every now and then (sometimes extra classes or sometimes the whole day off!) so my schedule always fluctuates for better or for worse.

Greeting cat statue? Is it the one we see here in asian restaurants? The cat with one paw up, waving...?

Yup, that's the one. :D

Top Bottom