A Four-Phase Deity Domination Victory Strategy (Dual Map)

cv431410

Warlord
A Four-Phase Deity Domination Victory Strategy (Dual Map)

Summary

The Four-Phase Strategy is:

Eliminate Mobile Offensive Force
Capture First City and Pillaging
Reach Military Technology Parity
Domination Victory

This is a guide for 4,000 years of Deity War with examples. A large set of files will be available with this guide, if I can upload so many files.

1. Introduction
1.1 Deity AI Advantage
1.2 My Niche
1.3 Setting
2. Four-Phase strategy
2.1 General Description of the Strategy
2.2 Eliminate Mobile Offensive Force
2.2.1 Partner Selection
2.2.1 City Placement
2.2.3 Starting the War
2.2.4 Phase I Development
2.2.5 Phase 1.1 Survive
2.2.6 Phase 1.2 Eliminate AI’s Mobile Offensive Force
2.2.7 Second Front
2.2.8 Expansion of your Force
2.3 Capture First City & Pillaging
2.3.1 Phase 2.1 Capturing Cities
2.3.2 Phase 2.2 Pillaging
2.4 Reach Military Technology Parity
2.5 Domination Victory
3. Tactics & Execution
3.1 Knowing Yourself; Knowing Your Enemy
3.2 How to Handle Stack (Attacking with Overwhelming Force in a Single Battlefield)
3.3 How to Handle Unit Stream
3.4 Placement of the Cities
3.5 Mobility is the Key to Success
3.6 Control the War
3.7 Economic Attack
3.8 Keep Captured Cities
3.9 City Management
3.10 AI’s Defense Mode
3.11 Choose AI’s Landing Location
3.12 Check Your Partner for Extra Cash.
3.13 Know You Will Win, then March into Battle
4. Practice Process
4.1 Monarch 1 on 1
4.2 Emperor 2v2
4.3 Immortal 2v2
5. Deity 2v2

1. Introduction

1.1 Deity AI Advantage

Deity AI has the following advantages:
(1) At deity level, AI starts with 2 settlers, 2 workers, and 2 other units (scouts or warriors). You start with 1 warrior.
(2) Technologies cost less (40 % less?);
(3) Building and Units cost less (40 % less?).

Generally speaking, AI is expansion oriented initially, not ‘wonder’ oriented.

Assuming AI starts with 2 settlers, 2 workers, and 2 scouts; AI will send scouts out to locate the second and third city locations. AI will build 1 city, and that city will come with a warrior automatically. 1 worker will start improvement. AI will start building a warrior and you will get 2 warriors in no time.

The second worker is designed for building roads. As soon as AI decides the locations of the next 2 cities, the second worker starts to build a road to the two locations.

The settler 2 and a warrior will go to the second location. When the third settler (which the first settler built) is done, the road to the 3rd city is already completed. This is often is done before you get your first settler.

1.2 My Niche

This is not good for starting a war of 4000 years, lol.

Well, as many deity guides have shown before, some balance has to be found:

(1) Hub Map
Hub map limits the initial fight to one point. Soon AI repeatedly lands force in ONE place if you do not put too much defense force in that location, which creates the second battlefield. When you capture AI’s first city, you will create a third battlefield.

(2) Save & Reload
In a 4000-year war, many mistakes will be made and many of them do not matter much. But occasionally you will find you have made some big mistakes, such as you think you can take the city, but the attack went terribly wrong; lol.

(3) 2v2 team.
This is my biggest niche. This means I basically do not do any research: my AI partner does all technology research. My job is fight with AI to make sure they do not do their research. This also significantly evens the field.

Different people will rate AI’s overall skill (research, production, strategy, …) differently; here is how I rate AI’s skill level:

Settler AI = 1
Noble AI = 2
Monarch AI = 3
Emperor AI = 6
Immortal AI = 8
Deity AI = 10

I rate my skill around 4. Note if deity research is 40% faster than you, he is not 40% better than you; he is many times better than you because this is accumulative.
· For 1v1 game, ratio between Deity AI and me is 10/4 = 2.5, which is overwhelming.
· For 2v2 game, ratio between Deity AI and me is (10 + 10)/(10 +4) = 1.43, which is manageable.

You cannot:

(1) Make your team larger than AI’s team;
(2) Use world builder or modify any files.

I believe 3v3 or 4v4 will be a bit easier and a bit messier than 2v2.

1.3 Setting

Difficulty: Deity
Speed: Quick
World Size: Dual
Map: Hub
Era: Ancient
Leader: Washington (+ health, +1 happiness all city)

2. Four-Phase strategy

The Four-Phase Strategy is:

Eliminate Mobile Offensive Force
Capture First City and Pillaging
Reach Military Technology Parity
Domination Victory
2.1 General Description of the Strategy

In 2v2, it is assumed that you are a better fighter than your AI partner and your AI partner is a better researcher.

The tactics used will be in the next chapter. This chapter will focus on strategy.

The reason for the four-phase strategy is listed below:
(1) My AI partner does all technology research. My job is fight with AI to make sure they do not do their research.

(2) My AI opponents accelerate research and production in peacetime; this generally means I will be in war almost all the time, i.e. 4000 years of war.

(3) I will need my cities focused on production and happiness. The buildings required are research buildings.

Library +25%
Observatory +50%
University +50%
Academy +50%
Oxford University +100%
…

Production building:

Forge (+25%)
Factory (+50%)

And Happiness buildings.

(4) I will need my civics focused on Production and Happiness.

The civics for production are:

Organized Religion (+25%)
Bureaucracy (50% capital)
…

Civics for Happiness:

Police State
Nationalism
…

(5) Research Path is generally military technology oriented:

Civil Service
Siege weapon and collateral damage
Crossbow/Maze
Musket/knight
cavalry/Rifle
Infantry
Tank

(6) Control the War

If Deity AI is ready and started war, it is probably too late for you: accept the loss and restart. You will have to stir AI when he is not ready. You do not have to be ready for war. You just have to make sure that you will not be killed when facing a superior enemy both in quality and quantity.

(7) You will be at war for 4000 years. Always learn to survive a fight from below.

At deity level, the fight is like this:

Your Crossbow/Maze against Musket/knight
Your Musket/knight against cavalry/Rifle
Your cavalry /Rifle against Infantry
Your Infantry against Tank

This sounds horrible, but quite doable, if you know the Deity AI.

2.2 Eliminate Mobile Offensive Force

AI force is roughly divided into:

Mobile Offensive Force (50%): Attacking force.
Mobile Defensive Force (25%): Homeland defense.
Stationery Defensive Force (25%): City defense.
Newly produced units.

The objective of the first phase is to destroy his Mobile Offensive Force.

The objective of the second phase is:
(1) To destroy his Mobile Defensive Force.
(2) To destroy his capability to produce new units.

When he only has Stationery Defensive Force left, you will have dominated the battlefield.

2.2.1 Partner Selection

It is a definitely a plus if you can choose a partner who can build Pyramids for Police State Civic.

2.2.1 City Placement

The common wisdom is to establish cities in this pattern:

NXXXN
XXXXX
XXOXX
XXXXX
NXXXN

Well forget about this, with the exception of the capital (global theater); most of your cities are size 3, 4, 5 (lol). A 4000-year war can easily make WW (war weariness) to be 8, 9, or 10. This means a size 5 city requires a Happiness of 15. While in modern times, you can control WW.

Police State: -50% (all cities)
Jail: -25% (in that city)
Mount Rushmore: -25% (all cities)
Total: -100%

This will not happened in your 4000-year war.

Since most of your cities will be small, you can easily set up 4 cities on the tiny hub.

2.2.3 Starting the War

If Deity AI is ready and started war, it is probably too late for you: accept the loss and restart. You will have to stir AI when he is not ready. You do not have to be ready for war. You just have to make sure that you will not be killed when facing a superior enemy both in quality and quantity.

Starting the war without collateral damage units will put you at a disadvantage. AI produces units at a much cheaper cost than you, so you cannot trade unit for unit with Deity AI.

As soon as you reach this point:

Siege weapon and collateral damage: 4 - 5
Crossbow or elephants: 3 - 4

You can start war.

2.2.4 Phase I Development

There are three clearly defined stages in this phase:

Survive
Eliminate AI’s Mobile Offensive Force
Expansion of your Force

When you start the war, you caught AI off-guard, then AI will send two stacks of forces with 5-6 units each (Attack Force A and Attack Force B). This is bad, but manageable. When AI is ready, his stack is much bigger. This is why you must start the war before he is ready.

The flip side of the coin is you are not ready either, so survive. Attack Force A and Attack Force B are not synchronized. If they are, I will be dead. They are off by at least by two turns, because they are sent to me from their stationed cities directly.

2.2.5 Phase 1.1 Survive

Attack AI Task Force A with everything you get:

Siege weapon and collateral damage: 4 units
Crossbow or elephants: 3 – 4 units
Earlier units: 2 – 3 units.
This should finish AI’s Force A.

Rotate injured units to back cities and rotate back units to front. When all of your units are almost healed, there is the Attack Force B. Wipe it out.

2.2.6 Phase 1.2 Eliminate AI’s Mobile Offensive Force

Once you wipe out the opponent’s first wave of attacks, all of his cities will be pumping out units. As soon as these units are produced, they are sent to you. You will receive an attack stream.

At this point, AI is way ahead of you so the fight will be Crossbow/Maze against Musket/Knight. Soon, the fight will be Your Musket/Knight against cavalry /Rifle.

You do not have much choice except for a few things:

(1) Learn your units
Crossbow has +40% against melee units;
Spear has +100% against mounted units;
…

(2) Defense Bonus
Jungle: +50%
Hill: +25%
Fortification: +25% (in 5 turns)
Cross-River: +25% (?)

For example, a maze fortified in a jungle hill for 5 turns will be receive:

Total: + 100%

(3) City Defense.

You can easily trade a low technology unit for a high technology unit.

2.2.7 Second Front

AI will land a second force. This force generally attacks the closest city, provided the city does not have a strong defense; otherwise, the amphibious force will bypass the city.

Your job is to control AI’s amphibious force landing zone and make sure he will land there over and over again.

2.2.8 Expansion of your Force

As you wipe out AI’s attacking stream, your forces are getting larger. When you are ready on offense, this marks the end of Phase I.

2.3 Capture First City & Pillaging

There are two clearly defined stages in this phase:

Capturing Cities
Pillaging

2.3.1 Phase 2.1 Capturing Cities

AI is too busy in attacking you. A sudden and decisive count attacking will caught them off guard and generally, you will be able to capture 1, 2, or even 3 cities. Also, synchronize your attack with your AI partner’s attack. Do no raze captured cities; AI will always build it back. Give the city to your AI partner.

2.3.2 Phase 2.2 Pillaging

Pretty soon, one of the AI will only have 1 or 2 cities left and it is obviously you do not have enough forces to capture them. Now pillaging starts.

AI seems to have two states, normal states and alarm states. Let me share a story with you. Once in an immortal game, I had a single cavalry near a city. There were 15 infantries to defend the city. The single cavalry pillaged the entire city’s improvement. The 15 infantries could not be “lured’ out and the AI built an artillery and used the newly built artillery to attack my cavalry. Such is the AI’s alarm state. AI, however, will not always stay in the “alarm state”, eventually you can lure his units out.

When AI suddenly lost 2 or 3 cities, he will enter the alarm state. Take this opportunity to make his land squeaky clean.

Now your partner gained 2 new cities. One of the opponents has absolutely no land improvement. Your team score should be higher. This ends phase II. This is usually the time you have rifleman and AI has infantry.

2.4 Reach Military Technology Parity

I can never reach technology parity with Deity AI. Thankfully, that is not required. But I need military technology parity, i.e. tanks vs. tanks. There are several clearly defined stages in this phase:

Infantry
Pillaging
Capture a city or two of the second AI
Tank

You should control the battlefield from this point on. This phase develops as follows:

(1) Do whatever you can to get infantry as soon as possible.
(2) Start pillaging the second AI with infantry. His oil and iron is obviously your primary target.
(3) When you have enough infantries and cannons, capture a city or two.
(4) Get tanks.

As soon as you get tanks, you are ready to bring AI down.

2.5 Domination Victory

With tanks, and pre-placed infantries and cannons, the Deity AI will fall.

3. Tactics & Execution

3.1 Knowing Yourself; Knowing Your Enemy

AI force is roughly divided into:

Mobile Offensive Force (50%): Attacking force.
Mobile Defensive Force (25%): Homeland defense.
Stationery Defensive Force (25%): City defense.
Newly produced units.

The objective of the first phase is to destroy his Mobile Offensive Force.

The objective of the second phase is:
(1) To destroy his Mobile Defensive Force.
(2) To destroy his capability to produce new units.

Attacking when AI still has Mobile Offensive Force produces painful experience.

3.2 How to Handle Stack (Attacking with Overwhelming Force in a Single Battlefield)

Siege weapons for collateral damage is important. When there is enough damage done, a long bow can kill a rifleman.

3.3 How to Handle Unit Stream

When you fight from below, get all the help you can get:

(1) Learning your Units
Crossbow has +40% against melee units;
Spear has +100% against mounted units;
…

(2) Defense Bonus
Cross River: +25% (?)

For example, a maze fortified in a jungle hill for 5 turns will receive:

Total: + 100%

3.4 Placement of the Cities

When you fight a 4000-year war with a Deity AI, your city will never reach this glory:

NXXXN
XXXXX
XXOXX
XXXXX
NXXXN

With the exception of the capital (global theater), most of your cities are size 3, 4, 5 (lol). A 4000-year war can easily make WW (war weariness) to be 8, 9, or 10. This means a size 5 city requires a Happiness of 15. Make the city placement accordingly because planning for many size 5 cities are different than planning a few size 16 cities.

3.5 Mobility is the Key to Success

Mobility offers the protection of your forces after the fight and allows you to retrieved all injured units and therefore save them.

Initially, any units outside cities will not have a long life. This mean initially, you should fight within your culture boundary. Build roads everywhere, every square!!!

3.6 Control the War

3.7 Economic Attack

Pillaging, Pillaging, and Pillaging, that is how you catch up in military technology. You will never catch up to Deity AI in overall technology.

3.8 Keep Captured Cities

Do not destroy captured cities; AI will always build it back. Give the city to your AI partner.

3.9 City Management

If you do not want to manage each of your cities every turn, manage them at least every third turn. The city is constantly getting unhappy. The cities keep focused on production and ignore food. I have to constantly redirect working tiles so the city is not starving.

3.10 AI’s Defense Mode

AI seems to have two states, normal state and alarm state (see last chapter).

3.11 Choose AI’s Landing Location

AI will land an amphibious force. This force generally attacks the closest city, provided the city does not have a strong defense; otherwise, the amphibious force will bypass the city.

Your job is to control AI’s amphibious force landing zone and make sure he will land there over and over again.

3.12 Check Your Partner for Extra Cash.

Very often in the tiny game, your AI partner will have extra cash. Get the cash for research.

3.13 Know You Will Win, then March into Battle

Understand your opponent; otherwise, the Deity AI will beat you every time.

4. Practice Process

The process that helps me to win the Deity game is this:

Monarch 1 on 1
Emperor 2v2
Immortal 2v2

I will upload a few examples for you to practice. I generally do not regenerate maps, but when I consider Deity AI’s advantages, regeneration is well justified.

4.1 Monarch 1 on 1

The following files are for Monarch 1 on 1, the first step for Deity domination.

4.2 Emperor 2v2

The following files are for Emperor 2v2, the second step for Deity domination.

4.3 Immortal 2v2

The following files are for Immortal 2v2, the third step for Deity domination.

5. Deity 2v2

In some sense, when you come to the Deity level in the way this guide specifies, the game becomes awfully simple: produce units and fight…. not much else.

The following files are for Deity 2v2, the final step for Deity domination.

Each Reply can only take 5 files.

I have 13 files for the immortal game and 15 files for the deity game.

If you want these files, please let me know. I will upload them in a seperate reply.

I mean to put this in strategy article section, can someone move this thread?
Thanks.

Jesus! Thats a lot! Personally, I'd say a 2v2 team is kinda defeating the point of deity.

This is my 4 stage stragegy for a duel map.

1. Select pangea
2. Select Inca
3. Build Quechuas
4. Win with ease.

Thanks for writing this. Team play with an AI partner is something I have been wondering about for a long time. It would let me play at the higher level and not have to worry so much about being outresearched and overwhelmed by your enemies.

I will try some of your savegames. :)

jimbob27 said:
Jesus! Thats a lot! Personally, I'd say a 2v2 team is kinda defeating the point of deity.

This is my 4 stage stragegy for a duel map.

1. Select pangea
2. Select Inca
3. Build Quechuas
4. Win with ease.

You have based the entire strategy on this:

(1) Quechuas get +100% bonuses against archers;
(2) AI does not know the fact warriors are better than archers in this case;

Based an entire strategy on AI's single mistake and restricting starting civilization to Inca only are also defeating the point of deity.

Plus, in hub map the opponents are quit far way. AI might get units after archer (Axe) when you travel such a long distance. After all, Deity AI get Axe really fast (starting with 2 settlers and 2 workers). :lol:

Top Bottom