1445AD Quick Tiny Deity: Huaya did, who else?

jesusin

Ant
GOTM Staff
jesusin, Vanilla, HOF1.61.08, cultural deity victory in 1455AD. 73036 points (3084 base). 15,5 hours, 7 sessions. 11 GP, 1sci for Educ, 10 art bombed. Liber in 410. 4religions, 6 cities.

This month I am trying Huaya instead of Elizabeth. Elizabeth's problem is land grabbing. With Huaya you will get less Great Artists, but you will have 6 cities and probably they will be very good.

This game setting were Pangea, Tiny, low water, temperate, natural coast, no barbs, locked assets. Wash, Hatt and Musa as opponents (1 more than needed, I think 2 more would have been better). Started in a PlainsHill with nearby corn, gems and wine.

First produced barracks and researched Poly. I was lucky to found hinduism. Then mining, wheel, pottery, alphabet (quite late, 1420BC). Subsequent production was 18 Quechua (with a stupid pause to start a settler before I was sure I would win the war). Wash was quite near, dowed in 3160BC taking a Worker. By 1660BC I had taken 2 cities, keeping them, but I was overconfident, I lost a favourable fight and they recovered one city. 2 turns later I had razed their capital (so bad a city) and I had recovered the lost city. They were left in OCC and we agreed peace in exchange for BW+AH+fish+Mason+Hunt. At the same time I founded one good city. With four cities, at 0% science I was doing 0gpt! Be careful, you have to have Pottery at this point or you will stagnate. Ten turns later (why 10, shouldn't it be 6 since I am playing Quick?) I dowed again, took a worker and took their last city. With only 2 opponents in the game trading was far from optimal. Having Musa on board is good, because he is the only leader who will trade his monopoly techs. But it is also bad, bacause anything you give him will be traded to the rest of the AI the following turn. By 475BC I founded my 6th city. So much warring meant no opportunity to be first to Music, or to build the much needed Parthenon, so After Drama and Lite I researched Philo, CS, Liber (1st, in 410AD, took Natio). I used 1 Great Scientist for Education. By 650AD I discovered Print and shut down research for ever. Used 80% culture till 1280AD, then 100% culture. Founding a religion myself was good because I could start building temples and missionaries much sooner (first one in 895BC and 545BC respectively). By 1AD my stats were excellent, 6 cities, 4 religions, 12 religious icons in F7 screen, not so bad science output and 14 cottages in use; also 5 temples and 1 Cathedral built. Whipping like crazy I spread religions and built religious buildings. 5 cathedrals in 920AD, 10 in 1070AD, 12 in 1280AD. My third legendary city was awful. For a long time my GPfarm had more culture. At the end it was working only 4 cottages. Production was bad there too. The non legendary cities were farming GPs, building optional Wonders (Taj Majal, Sistine Chapel and Colossus done, Ankor Watt and Versailles left unfinished for money) or building money. At the very end I accepted one flipped city, finished Colossus and researched two techs just for fun, I starved cities for 1 additional GP, but didn't starve enough and got the last GP 1 turn late. Couldn't make up for it with Engineering incresased movement because my friend Gandhi wouldn't gift it to me, so sour taste left at the end. 1 city became legendary in 1435 AD, 2 the next turn, won still 1 turn later.

Stats:
1000BC:4city, 10pop, 3+wor, 9units(Que), Nothing. 3Lux, 2health. 0GP, 0WW, 0NW. 13ftp, 17htp, 20bpt, 13cpt, 0gpp, -10gpt, 63g. Barr,2Gra,2Obe,Lib. 2Relig, 1mine. 1/1cottages used. 17Tech: No Drama, Priest, Maths, Poly, BW. 3hours.
1AD:6cities, 38pop, 6worker, 6(War). Horses, Marble, Stone. 6Lux, 5health. 29fpt, 30hpt, 151bpt,-27gpt, 80cpt, 20GPPpt. 53g, 1350c. 0WW, 1NW,1GP. 27Techs: Almost CS, philo, no Music, no MC, monar. 4reli, 1 mine. 6 hours. 0 civs killed. 14/14 cottages used. 5temple, 0 Catedr. 12relxcity
1000AD:6cities, 55pop, 6worker, 6(Que). All. 7Lux, 6health. IN GA: 24fpt, 158hpt, 9bpt,+23gpt, 1116cpt, 83GPPpt. 361g, 22000c. 2WW, 3NW,5GP. Techs: Liber,Natio, Bank. 4reli,1mine. 11,5 hours. 0 civs killed. 21cottages used. 21temple, 5+Catedr. 24relxcity

Do you want to beat my date and make it to the HOF? It is very easy: play with similar settings, but Marathon instead of Quick for a quicker conquest. Possibly use 1 more opponent (be sure he is peaceful and a good researcher, try to avoid creative leaders). Prioritize production. Finish off one enemy (be a good warmonger, not like me). Produce more Quechua than needed, not less. If you need more space, take a few cities from Gandhi, he will forgive you in the end. Don't be afraid to have too many cities too soon, it will pay off in the end. More or less beeline to Alphabet, make sure you get pottery and start cottaging soon. Don't build any wonder (well, if you get to build the Parthenon your record will be everlasting). Don't even think about building a wonder that doesn't give GArtist points (sentence specially dedicated to master godotnut) ;) . Trade resources, both for money and other resources. Trade techs often. Gift techs if need be, you want the AI to be advanced. Very soon concentrate on building missionaries, temples and Cathedrals, be an expert at whipping. Build one theater in every city. Put the Hermitage in the second best city (I put it in the worst one, so bad it was). Bomb the worst one. Declaring a religion is probably a good idea when all opponents but one use free religion, adopt the remaining one (and pacifism, of course). When you are over with whipping consider changing to CS. Plan ahead, there are times when you want to starve a city in order to accelerate its GP production, there are times when you want to delay a GP (example: this city is not going to give a second GP before the end, you want your GP farm to give its GPs a few turns sooner; then you want this city to be the last to give its GP, so that the other city GPs are cheaper). All your GPs must be artist. One or two scientists are a good idea, though, use them for Education and Print. Maybe not teching Print but waiting to trade for it is a good idea, never tried that myself. Maybe one priest for CS or for founding a religion on the critical path is a good idea. When one city has given its last artist, use merchants to have money to keep 100% culture. And that's it.

I think Huaya is the best leader for a violent cultural deity victory in small maps. I am not sure about large maps, because of the distances involved. Maybe in large maps Elizabeth, peaceful game and fewer AIs is better.

Please, share your thoughts, critizisms and new ideas with me.

@Jesusin:

Don't even think about building a wonder that doesn't give GP points (sentence specially dedicated to master godotnut).

Hardly the master, since you've beaten all of my HOF Deity cultural scores!

Oh, and "a wonder that doesn't give GP points"? Which wonder would that be?

(Had to tease you there a little--I know you meant GA points.)

But seriously, did you do this with Warlords or Vanilla? I tried to play a deity cultural with Huyana recently in Warlords with the new patch, and I had a hell of a time taking AI cities. I'd be curious to know if you are meeting with more success Quecha rushing in Warlords with the improved AI.

Oh, and this is a great post, BTW. Very concise. Nice work.

The more information I give, the more mistakes people will point out.
And also, the better we all play, the more we will enjoy the game.

I only have Vanilla. I have edited the post to add this information and to correct the error you mention. Thank you.

Also...
1. How many Quechua did you attack with first? 6?
2. After your 18 Quechua, did you build other better units, or were the magic 18 enough to finish the wars?

I dowed with 3 4XP Quechuas built plus the initial one. One more Quechua was being built every 2 turns in the capital.
Wash had 4-3-1 archers in his 3 cities, but one of the second city left, so I attacked with 3 Quechuas against 2 Archers. Lost one and took the city.
Counterstrike was penible. I then killed some Archers on the fields. Later attacked their capital with 4Quechua against 2Archers, I killed one, but lost 3 Quechua. What a pity.
Ten turns later I had a total of 13 Quechua, I lost one taking their third city which had 2 archers. Next lost 2 Quechua while killing ¿3or4? Archers in their capital, the very same turn a single Archer recovered the first city against a single Quechua fortified.
I am not a great warmonger, am I?

After taking out Wash, I disbanded all quechuas but 6 and never built another unit. Never had another war, I already had space for my 6 cities, while Musa and Gandhi prefered to fight one another.

No... you are still a great warmonger in terms of the strategies you had to figure out.

Wow... you never built another unit and no one warred with you until you won? That's cool! Well, it IS Mansa and Gandhi...

I'll probably try this on Warlords 2.08 Immortal later tonight (if I'm not up in any SG's). Not that I can beat Emperor, but... it's Tiny map...

Wash lost his Financial in Warlords, should I replace him with Vicky? And who would you suggest as a fourth opponent?

Yeah, HOF victories are somewhat cheesy, in the sense that you choose your starting position and your (as peaceful as you like) opponents.

I can't speak about Warlords. In Vanilla, I like to have Gandhi, Musa, Cyrus, Hatty, Washington. When more opponents are needed, I pick Fred, Peter, Elizabeth. Asoka is great too. With a lot of opponents, I sometimes throw in Tokugawa, so that everybody can share a common enemy.

The only trait that posses me problems is creative, since the settling space runs out quicker with them and they can even flip one of my cities at the beggining of the game. For Quechua rushes they get cultural defense bonus sooner, too.

My favourite trait for the AI is Diligent, since they build wonders instead of settlers. I don't go after wonders anyway.

I have been playing some more violent Quechua games. The biggest difference I find is that you can (and that often happens to me) lose the game, if war goes badly. With a peaceful game and chosen opponents, the win is guaranteed. Well, it is guaranteed as long as your strategy doesn't depend on a wonder, and mine doesn't.

Thanks!

But my tries didn't go well for now...
(Warlords 2.08.001 Immortal without Blake's AI improvement, same settings, Quick Speed even)
leader: Inca's HC (IND/FIN)
opponents: Wash Mansa Gandhi Liz
Try 1: declared war too early and Washington started massing Archers faster than I can mass Quechs'
Try 2: neighbor = Mansa, not good :D
Try 3: I succeed in taking over all of Washington's cities, making my total 7 cities. Then Mansa... MANSA! attacks me out of the blue... didn't declare a religion even so he should be warring with Gandhi, not me!

You got really lucky no one attacked you hehe. I'll retry soon.

I wish you good luck.

Not being aggresive can be a big handicap. With barracks, my Quechuas have an inmediate antiarcher promotion.

7 cities! Why keep them all? I would have razed one of them, unless all are so good that they can quickly pay off their cost.

I think the order in which you put the AIs has influence in them being your neighbours or not.

I have had a lot of failed wars lately (standard map and quick speed make distances too big). I am trying a Worker-barracks-n*Quechua start now.

Don't worry, in Warlords, Quechua start with Combat I even though Huayna isn't Aggressive anymore.

Hmm... guess any city over 6 has to go (well all the cities are improved...)
Does the settler have to start on a plains hill or waste 1 turn moving settler to plains hill is fine?
Guess have to be lucky to not be attacked even by a peacemonger...

EDIT: Oh I see, you went Worker-Barracks-Quech instead of Quech out of the gate. :D That complicates things for Warlords since the barracks would come out... slightly slower.

I have had a lot of failed wars lately (standard map and quick speed make distances too big). I am trying a Worker-barracks-n*Quechua start now.

jesusin, cultural deity victory in 1535AD. 40458 points (1551 base). 9,5 hours.
Std, Pangea, low, temperate, compact coast, no barbs, no cheating. Huaya. AIs: Musa, Hat, Gand, Cyr, Toku, Wash, Pete, Fred, Eliz (3 more than needed). Asked MapFinder for 2 farmable resources.
7 GP, 2sci for Educ+Print, 5 art bombed. Liberalism (not first) in 380. 5religions, 6 cities.

Went Worker-Quechua-Barracks-n*Quechua. Quick speed and standard map is a pain. I didn’t finish Cyrus till 1000BC. Nothing else had been done at that point, nothing! The only good thing was having 5 cities. Alphabet too late (895BC) meant bad tech trading. Couldn’t start whipping till 195BC and then it was too late, my cities where too big. So no whipping and not rushbuying this game. Missed Music by a lot and Liberalism by 2 turns. Researched Print, Nationalism and Economy by hand, then 100% culture. Hermitage in capital was a mistake, so I had to distribute my Cathedrals 2-6-2. Only good news is 5 religions spread to me. More bad news? Eliz dowed in 380AD. I bribed Peter against her since he was between both of us. I didn’t see too much action, but had to rush some units. Peace in 920AD. Bad, bad, bad game.

Stats
1000BC: 5city, 17pop, 5wor, 6units(Que), Stone. 1Lux, 1health. 0GP, 0WW, 0NW. 6ftp, 15htp, 13bpt, 3cpt, 0gpp, -2gpt, 90g. Barr,Obe. 0Relig. 4/5cottages used. 6Tech: No Alpha, no mining. 2hours.
1AD: 6cities, 37pop, 5worker, 6(Que). Horses, Marble, Copper, Iron. 5Lux, 3health. 15fpt, 61hpt, 182bpt,-16gpt, 39cpt, 6GPPpt. 456g, 550c. 0WW, 0NW,1GP. 39Techs: Paper, no philo, Music, Machi, monar. 5reli. 4 hours. 0 civs killed. 8/10 cottages used. 0temple, 0 Catedr. 8rel*city.
1000AD: 6cities, 52pop, 5worker, 8(Kni). All. 5Lux, 5health. 8fpt, 97hpt, 6bpt,-15gpt, 998cpt, 30GPPpt. 880g, 15000c. 0WW, 2NW,3GP. Techs: Liber,Natio, Econo, Repu. 5reli. 8 hours. 0 civs killed. 16cottages used. 19temple, 3Catedr. 29rel*city

I am sure Incas can take me to the HOF table. My next try, however, will be a no-cottages Saladin game. I will report in the “1070 culture win” bostich’s thread.

Top Bottom