Rat 18 - Revenge of the Daimyo AWE

ThERat

Deity
after the defeat in Rat17 in the standard Japanese scenario, we are up for the challenge again. This time the settings are changed:

large map due to 18 Civs
without diplomatic victory, thus only domination and conquest are possible.
emperor difficulty

I start up the game after getting the settings right and here we go

after moving our daimiyo, it reveals a 2nd cow, thus decide to move the settler south. Settled, built 2 ashigaru and we do now have a settler after 18 turns.

Thus, I stop and we can decide where to settle next
we are currently researching smithing after getting metal working

we are located in the south, so the land south seems to be ours, thus we should expand north
my dotmap is just a suggestion, but I would settle in the forest to the north first. More access to hills for iron is needed.
We really need the iron for bushi

save

Roster

ThERat - played
SirBugs - up
Greebley
Empiremaker - please confirm participation
pindicator - please confirm participation

Lurker:

Below average? 3 food bonus tiles in the town and another not far, plus a long river. No desert tiles or swamp or jungle close is a below average start?

lurker's comment: Very nice start! 2 cows + FP wheat...you better not complain about not enough food! :p

Good luck all and hope you win this time! :hammer:

Below average? 3 food bonus tiles in the town and another not far, plus a long river
:lol: we are a little lucky this time. While testing the game settings (and every time something was still wrong) I got some terrible starts. This however was the first start with the final settings...because I abstain from re-rolling these days.
We will grow like weed and can churn out tons of settlers, important is that we get some iron, we do have jade in the south at least. No happy lux yet.

We will grow like weed and can churn out tons of settlers, important is that we get some iron, we do have jade in the south at least. No happy lux yet.

lurker's comment: I've never played this scenario and I've never seen jade in a game. What does it do? :confused:

Checking in. I agree with building N first.

Jade is used for the sneaky units that occur later on, IIRC. Not sure what else.

Given how effective landings by the enemy can be, I think it a good idea to keep some Cats and boats. We can bombard boats down to 1 hp and sink them. This is much easier than removing Yama's from our homelands and might be the better option. For that reason some strong shield coastal towns would probably be a good idea.

I have it. Where do we want to settle? I'm thinking the dot NW.

NW sounds good to me. Anyway, our capital is growing fast and can churn out settlers fast. As long as we don't face bushis, the enemy won't pose a threat.

By the way, beware I popped some barbs in the hills NW, there are still 2 there somewhere

I played 20 turns.

We founded two new cities. We discovered smithing and we don't have iron anywhere nearby.

I went for pottery to get a granary in the capitol, and then we can have a settler factory. I know it is a bit unorthodox for an AW game, but with all that food I couldn't resist.

Got a second worker out of city #2. Started city 3 on a barracks.

I explored south and there is nothing but tundra and a deer down there.

I think we should be able to go in search of iron shortly. I have been holding off until we get stronger.

Our fiefdom:

Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/32851/Rat18_Jan._1470_AD.SAV

I really like seeing everyone still playing CIVIII. I'm enjoying this and other games. The last you played I am surprised you didn't see the council of war coming and prebuild towards it. I am sure you will take of this one, easily. I love seeing all the old representatives. Kick A boys!!

expansion looks great and there is plenty of food.
But we need iron :eek:

I'd say we send out 2 ashigaru in search of iron. Hopefully there will be some and then we should expand towards that place by all means possible. Without iron, we are in trouble for sure.
Invention will give us 2/1/1 units, but we need some proper defense as well. I suggest to go for the catapult tech after invention as long as we don't have iron.

I suggest a new Roster as Greebely is still busy with Rat16

ThERat -
SirBugs - just played
Empiremaker - up
Greebley - on deck
pindicator

The last you played I am surprised you didn't see the council of war coming and prebuild towards it.
Barb, you should have warned us, I admit I completely missed out on it :blush:

Old Barbslinger is back! Cheers!

Glad you accept my suggestion, TheRat.

The game has no ocean caravels. Did you remove War Counsil or replace it as MIL wonder, such as Sun Tsu, Leo or something?

The game has no ocean caravels.
:blush: :blush: :blush: I think I made some real mistake here, since we cannot have a AW game where the AI wouldn't be able to cross the ocean without suicide missions...

I checked this and also found out that our map only contains 8 Civs although I clearly edited all 18...
I guess I need to restart this, sorry about this folks :(

I edited my scenario file and added all Civs, so now we would have 18 Civs. Caravels would be able to cross oceans safely...
removed the war council wonder as well

If everyone is fine, I would restart this game

Same order, with you starting ThERat? I'm fine with restarting.

EDIT: I would suggest also changing where the strategic rescources appear so that they only appear on mountains. Also, make sure the barbs are raging. If you really want to be close to the original, pre-place barb camps on the strategic rescources.

by the way, I am also inclined to increase the caravel movement from 3 to 4...

Top Bottom