King Leonidas of Sparta

odintheking

Lighting the way...
The king of Sparta during the Battle of Thermopylae. For Civ Army's "300" mod. This guy was really hard to do, and I had to redo all the animations at least twice (between the random file-corruptions and sub-par animations.) I also had to change the attack for each direction, because the spear would clip out of frame. Some directions look kind of weird in the attack, :(. I'm sorry, if anyone doesn't like it I could redo some of the animations...

DOWNLOAD

Very nice! It'd be even better with an animated preview though.

If you find that he steps outside the frame, just use a larger size. You'll need to move the camera back a bit and then set it to render at 125x125 or 150x150 or whatever it is. You'll need to experiment a little to ensure that the figure comes out the right size (ie that you have moved the camera back the correct amount to compensate for the larger render), and you may also need to adjust the offset of the completed flcs to ensure that it is properly centred.

hi OdinTK, file is empty when u d/l it, nevertheless it sounds good, i like hellenistics units, i hope to get it as soon as be possible, good work :)

FLC to GIF works fine.

Link. Fairly simple to use.

Looks really good, odintheking! The only nitpicky thing I thought of was that Spartans, so I've heard (via Steven Pressfield's fiction), and probably hoplites in general, would stab their spears overhead rather than underhand, so as not to break the shield wall.

By the way, what's a 15-year old like yourself doing with a line from the Unforgettable Fire in your sig? ;) Congrats on the good taste.

I make all my previews with unFreez, which utahjazz7 refers to in his tutorial. It's tedious converting all the images to gif (all of the batch converters I have tried ruin the palette) but it's free and simple.

You've animated this unit very nicely. I like how he pulls his spear down from his shoulder. Small niggle: in the Victory his feet seem to slide along the floor. It's better if you make sure he lifts them, and moves them one at a time, so he steps properly from the one position to the other.

odintheking... Looks pretty good...I can appreciate the the problems you had working on this unit. I agree with Plotinus that a larger frame size would greatly help. With more room you would be able to have the spear move straight in the attack for example.
Perhaps just my opinion but the Run animations for many units I see very often appear to be in slow motion and need to have a faster Flc Speed to accommodate a more normal movement.
Given the constraint of the small frame size you were working with, I think you did a good job. Much easier to animate with more room to gain a desired result. Move the main camera back and increase the Frame size for the Renders. Render one frame and check the size...if the size is as you want, you will be free to move the unit as you want rather than be confined to a small frame that precludes the movement and animation you would prefer.

I also use UnFREEze for gif previews. Free program and works well enough. You can do Batch Files to change the .bmp to .gif with programs like Paint Shop Pro but a good manual technique is not too much to do...just monotonous.

I make all my previews with unFreez, which utahjazz7 refers to in his tutorial. It's tedious converting all the images to gif (all of the batch converters I have tried ruin the palette) but it's free and simple.

Hmm next time I'll try that. (Try, ;)) I'll also keep that foot sliding to a minimum (I fixed it in all the anims but that one, :crazyeye: )

By the way, what's a 15-year old like yourself doing with a line from the Unforgettable Fire in your sig? ;) Congrats on the good taste.

I'm 14, ;). I just like U2. I listen to everything.

Great job. Looks nice and well animated.:goodjob: :)

Top Bottom