Research Queue Proposals

Falcon02

General
I figured it was time to start an actual discussion on potential Research Queues for us to vote on to help streamline the research decision process.

So here's my initial proposal

Priesthood
Code of Laws
Horseback Riding
Iron Working
Metal Casting
Masonry
Mathematics
Currency

Any techs of course which we're able to trade for or research before any proposal passes will just be skipped in the queue. Also, once we vote on a queue it can always be altered if something comes up that changes our goals.

So please comment on my proposal, and make your own.

It's a little difficult thinking about this without looking at possible trades at the same time. I would not like to be dependent on warriors and chariots until after CoL. Perhaps archery could appear much earlier in the list and if we do trade for it, fine, but if not, then having it sooner will help with our defenses while researching the other stuff.

Well, I expect at the end of today's game session we will have Mysticism, Meditation, and will have traded for Archery (since there was pretty much unanimous support for the trade).

That said, the intent of the queue should be what order we want to research in, assuming we couldn't trade for techs. Now it's fairly safe to assume the trade for Archery being so close to the next turnchat, but I still left archery in there since many times we won't be able to predict what trades are available so easily. If we're planning on trading for a tech you've sorta have to ask your self, at what point would you decide to research a tech if you haven't been able to trade for it.

Also, I put the full CoL line as first because the current Tech poll leans in that direction, and I built up the queue from there. And time is important if we still want to get Confucianism.

That said, the intent of the queue should be what order we want to research in, assuming we couldn't trade for techs. Now it's fairly safe to assume the trade for Archery being so close to the next turnchat, but I still left archery in there since many times we won't be able to predict what trades are available so easily. If we're planning on trading for a tech you've sorta have to ask your self, at what point would you decide to research a tech if you haven't been able to trade for it.

Are you saying if we did not trade for Archery, you would not research it until after CoL?

The non-religious path:

Iron Working

-if no iron
-Horsebackriding
-Archery
-end if

Mathematics
Currency
(Meditation/Polytheism+Priesthood from trade)
Code of Laws
Civil Service
Metal Casting
Machinery

I think I like this one better (although I might put Archery before HBR).

Archery will probably be easy to obtain by trade (we can trade for it at the moment), therefor I put it lower on the list.

I like Falcon's proposal the best it fits more clearly with the recent vote we've had on which tech we wish to pursue next, and I believe it focuses on the more important aspect for our civ right now, religion and culture. War isn't going to be a problem for a while because the AIs have so much room to expand, rushing towards military tech will not be very useful now.

Right now this is the two current build queues

Priesthood
Code of Laws
Horseback Riding
Iron Working
Metal Casting
Masonry
Mathematics
Currency

The non-religious path:

Iron Working

-if no iron
-Horsebackriding
-Archery
-end if

Mathematics
Currency
(Meditation/Polytheism+Priesthood from trade)
Code of Laws
Civil Service
Metal Casting
Machinery

People have shown support for both, and thus far no other proposals have been made. Are we ready to poll these two proposals?

Alright, just trying to make sure there's enough time to poll it for the next game session on Monday.

The whole point of researching Priesthood was so we could research COL, so we've really already made the decision to for this IMO.

After we reach COL, picking up some of the military techs makes a lot of sense to me. I'd go for Iron before Horseback Riding because that's such an important resource throughout the game that it's important we know where it's located. After we research both of those, I suggest Mathematic and then Construction (so we can build cats).

While we're working on this research path we can start talking about how we want to win the game, which will suggest what research direction to take.

I disagree with the idea that iron working should be before HBR, I don't think extra speed in finding out where iron is will affect our city placement very severely. We basically know where our borders are going to be. Also HBR will allow us to build our UU, which can be a very useful unit. We get this unit guaranteed because we already know we have the resources.

Also HBR will allow us to build our UU, which can be a very useful unit. We get this unit guaranteed because we already know we have the resources.

This is a very good point. Why go with IW and take the chance that we have iron, when we know we have horses?

Finish Priesthood (1)
Change production to Oracle
If Oracle will take fewer turns than CoL, then start HBR -> IW and take CoL when Oracle completes.
Else if Oracle will take more turns than CoL, then start CoL -> HBR, take Civil Service when Oracle completes.

If Oracle completed by another civ, switch to CoL, if we're not already researching it.

This is a very good point. Why go with IW and take the chance that we have iron, when we know we have horses?

Also we will soon have copper

I think that the proposals have be edited now that we have traded, built the oracle and done the CS slingshot.

HBR then beeline Currency

Second proposal by dutchfire:

Trade for sailing, masonry, iron working

Horsebackriding
Mathemathics
Currency
Calendar

if we have Iron
Construction

if we don't have Iron
Metal Casting
Machinery