The Rise of Moraie

Sashie VII

Balance of Power
I've been thinking of doing my own story for a while now, yet never seem to have time. Last week, stressed out by studies in examination month, I decided to try my first 5CC :D And then I figured, why not make a story out of it? :eek:

Changing my mind about this every minute :lol: I guess there's no time like now.

So here goes..:crazyeye:

The Rise of Moraie!

Much of Moraien lore is lost, yet some still linger in the memory of the people. It is said that once, the people of Moraie were scattered into numerous clans, each with its own leadership and will. Without a home, they wander the earth, staying only for as long as the land could sustain them. Rarely does a clan have issues with another; they care nothing of others as long as they are left untroubled. The people were fierce in battle, yet hardworking at whatever task at hand. Gifted with long life, they seek only to live out their lives in peace.

Then a great change came upon the world. Darkness have descended upon the lands. None now remember how it began, but it happened. Most aloof of the clans, Orsa, was the first to fall against the barbarians. Once a mere nuisance, the barbarians have grown in strength, and in their blind envy and greed seek to destroy all others. The clans fought, fiercely and unsparing in their valour. Yet none alone could stand for long. One after another, the clans were destroyed, what few survivors barely reached the safety of the the other clans. It seemed as if all hope have forsaken them, their ruin inevitable.

Yet all was not lost. The last five clans of Moraie, seeing their end at every turn, sought each other and forged a unity. For the sake of survival, Morra, Val, Darr, Gor and Porta joined in alliance to stand against the barbarians. The entirety of the people's warriors assembled, and marched against the barbarian hordes. One last battle was fought, bitter and terrible. Many Moraiens were lost, though none gave their lives in vain. Bought at terrible price, victory was theirs at the last. The barbarians have been defeated..for now.

And it was then that the last clans of Moraie now see unity as their only means of survival. They gathered in the great vineyard by the River Wien to join as one, with one leadership to see them through the darkness to come. However, a new dilemma arose. Who shall rule? The chieftains argued amongst themselves, each seeing themselves as the one worthy to rule. For a long time, there seemed to be no solution for the matter. The wise shamans, on the other hand, have been keeping to themselves. They sought out one among the few survivors from the destroyed clans, one whose destiny was foretold in the lights of heaven. At the last, they found him. It was then that the shamans stepped forth, and decreed that none of the chieftains are to rise above another. Confused, the chieftains were speechless when the shamans presented the new leader of the peoples of Moraie to the assembled crowd. There was a great cheer, and righfully so. All swore allegiance to him; Sashie VII has come to power!

Sashie VII listened, as does his aides. The scouts have returned with reports on immediate vicinity. A great nation is not built in a day, and he knows this. As it is, the people has yet to have a home. After a few more moments of considering what he has heard, he stood and addressed his advisors. It was to be the first decision of his reign.

"We shall cross the river and move eastwards. There shall we build our home, a city to call our own."

"But what of the vineyards? There is food and wine aplenty here for the people." says his Trade Advisor.

"The people would be unhappy to leave such luxury." the Domestic Advisor frowns.

"Leave some men to work the vineyards. Also, they are to build a road to the new city so that the wines can still be enjoyed by our people."

The two advisors looked at each other and bowed, satisfaction upon their faces. The others smiled.

"Let the word go forth. Prepare for the journey!"

It was long and tedious, but in the end the people have all reached the other side of the great river. Slowly, they began building their homes and settle down. For the first time in memory, the Moraiens are no longer nomads. The idea of staying in one place forever was somewhat foreign to the masses, but in time they grew accustomed to it. Here the great city of Moraien is founded, and the Nation of Moraie is born.

Humble though the beginnings of the nation, Sashie VII is determined that his people must someday rise to greatness unmatched in this world. Sitting in council with his advisors, he was unsurprised to find that they all share his ambition. Yet, his advisors lack vision. The Domestic Advisor wished nothing but more cities, while his materialistic Trade Advisor desired only more resources and luxuries. His Military Advisor wants more and more soldiers wearing the colours of Moraie, whereas the Cultural advisor seems unconcerned with anything but the cultural values of the people. Leader of the shamans, the newly appointed Science Advisor, keeps begging for more funds to spend on research and study, Only his Foreign Advisor seems quiet, and understandably so as the Moraiens have yet to meet other peoples.

"We must found more cities, my lord."

"Lets get more luxuries and resources!"

"We can afford a larger military.."

"Culture is what gives our people power!"

"Please increase research spending, great one".

Sashie VII says nothing as they continue squabbling, but after a few moments stood. The advisors fell silent and turn their full attention towards him.

"I have given the matters at hand some thought. Domestic Advisor, I agree that we need more cities in the future."

The Domestic Advisor's eyes went alight at this, yet before she could say anything Sashie VII continues to speak.

"However, only five clans of the Moraie survive now. In honour of the other clans that have perished by the hands of our enemies, our nation may only have five cities." Ignoring the disappointed look on the Domestic Advisor's face, he turned to the Military Advisor. " Assemble the finest young men you can find. They are to be trained as soldiers with all haste." The Military Advisor stood, saluted and left.

"Science Advisor."

"Yes, Sashie?"

"You will begin research into the usage of wheels. I suspect there's more to them than mere playthings for our children."

"It shall be done." The Science Advisor inclines his head and rose to leave.

"Wait. Domestic Advisor, go with him and see that he gets enough funding. I want the secrets of The Wheel unlocked as soon as possible."

The Domestic Advisor blanched, this would mean that the treasury would not grow. "Your will, m'lord." She rose and bows before walking out a step behind the Science Advisor, who was beside himself with glee.

Sashie VII now looks upon the other three advisors. "Well?"

They looked at each other, then as one rose and took their leave. There is naught for them to report or do now, hence they would retire to their quarters and find something useful to do.

very good, sashie VII. Keep it coming :goodjob:

(subscribing by posting.)

Sashie VII stood alone in a great hall. Around him, he could see outworldly paintings and decorations, and symbols unfathomable to his mind. How he could have gotten here mystified him. As he looked around in wonder, a great voice spoke to him.

"I bid you welcome, Lord of Moraie."

Sashie VII quickly glanced around him, yet saw no one. "Who are you? Why am I here?"

"I am no threat to you and yours, Sashie VII. Fear not, as I am your friend and more." responded the mysterious voice.

Still wary, Sashie VII kept his hand near his belt dagger.

"You are here to be warned, Sashie VII. Heed me not, and your people will fail. Your fledgling nation trod a dangerous path, and there are many perils ahead. "

"I know that. There is no need for your warning." said Sashie VII. The voice seemed to ensue from the paintings in front of him.

"Yet you do not know that seven others have also risen to seek greatness and glory. Soon your paths shall cross, and eventually they shall seek to destroy you and your people."

Sashie VII said nothing, but his doubt was clear in his face.

"May wisdom and strength be yours, Lord of Moraie. In time you shall come to see.." the voice faded away, and Sashie VII's vision grew blurry.

"Wait! I need to know more!"

The hall darkens, and Sashie VII's head swam as he fell into darkness.

Time passes...

...and he heard a faint voice calling his name. Slowly, Sashie VII opened his eyes. It was morning, and his Military Advisor stood next to his bed. Smiling down to his leader, he said, "Sashie, the first group of warriors have completed their training. They await your orders."

"Very well. I will instruct them after I have changed." Sashie VII sat up and pauses to remember the odd dream. Barely noticing his Military Advisor leave, his heart was troubled. He recalled the names of the seven foreign peoples, and wondered at the irony. Have we escaped one peril to face more? He could not shake off these haunting thoughts as he prepares to meet his soldiers.

Sashie VII's watched as his warriors march out of the city. Fresh and untried, they were nevertheless eager to serve and were sent to explore the eastern grasslands . He would know more of the lands around the city, and more importantly to discover where their future enemies are. Moraien is still small, and his people weak.

"Have you begun the training of the next group?" asked Sashie VII softly to his Military Advisor, who was standing next to him.

"Yes m'lord, they are being drilled as we speak."

Still uncomforted by this, Sashie VII fell silent. Hearing a faint screech, he glanced up to see a hawk soaring above the far sky. Sighing, he turned and entered his palace. His advisors exchanged glances, then followed only a step behind him. They can see that their leader is deeply worried of something, but none have the slightest idea of what it could be.

Oh, I forgot about the game settings.

Civilization: China
Difficulty: Emperor
Map: Standard
Landform: Pangaea
Ocean Level: 80%
Climate: Wet
Temperature: Warm
Barbarian Activity: Roaming
Opponents: Random
Victory Condition: All except Wonder Victory

Variant: It's in the story.

Typo and grammatical corrections are welcome, as well as suggestions.

EDIT: Added details that were missed.

You forgot the difficulty, Sashie. :)

The leader of the band signalled a stop. Around him his men began to make a camp for the night. They have explored a great deal of land, and chance had brought them upon this place. Amazingly bountiful, food seemed to be in endless supply. Not for the first time he was grateful that the expedition turned southwards, for this discovery would please the lord greatly. He is certain that a fair reward would be waiting for the soldier who had first suggested investigation of the southern river. Knowing that this area is most likely to become a city site in the future, he idly wondered if they would be remembered in the far future as the ones who first found it.

Sashie VII waited. The explorers had sent word back to the city of their discoveries thus far. News of the fertile lands by the southern river was good, but what took his attention was their meeting with the people called Mayans. Foretold by his dream, he was still uncertain of how to deal with these foreigners. Future enemies, yes, but at the moment the nation is ill-prepared for war. After a day of contemplation, he decided that for now he would treat with the Mayans fairly, and not seek enmity. For now.

"We shall fight on our terms and no others." said the lord softly.

"My lord?"

"Never mind. Are the Mayan envoys here?"

"Yes, my lord. They await your pleasure outside."

"Bid them enter. I would see them now."

Sashie VII pushed aside dark thoughts, and turned his attention to the envoys. They look different from Moraien, slightly darker. He noticed that the three Mayans were given to painting their faces with symbols, which somewhat amused him. Nevertheless, they seemed strong and able fighters to his eyes. He said nothing as the envoys came to stand in front of him. After a minute of silence, the lead Mayan spoke.

"I bring you good greetings, Lord Sashie. Our fearless leader, Great Instigator Smoke-Jaguar, have seen it fit to extend his hand in friendship to the Moraien people." said the envoy, every word dripping with contempt. He held this foreign lord's gaze for a moment, then bowed slightly. Only then did his companions bow, and that was only briefly.

The faces of the advisors hardened, as the Mayans showed no respect to the leader of Moraie. Yet Sashie VII chose to ignore the slight insult.

"Bring word back to your master that the Moraiens accept his friendship." said Sashie VII, coolly eyeing the envoys. "My advisors will speak with you further on possible cooperation between our peoples this afternoon, before you leave at first light tomorrow."

The envoys said nothing in return at the dismissal, but inclined their head ever so slightly and left.

"Farei, Cad, find out what they can offer us. I want a detailed report in the council tonight." speaking softly to his advisors, Sashie VII did not take his eyes off the Mayans's retreating back until they were out of his sight.

"Yes, my lord." both his Foreign and Science Advisors hurried to overtake the Mayans.

For a long time Sashie VII was silent. He could hear the voice in his dream, and the words resound in his head over and over;

"..eventually they shall seek to destroy you and your people."

" We shall destroy them first." he whispered.

"They have knowledge of making clay pots, great one. These clay pots allow excess food to be stored, certainly a boon to our growth." Cad, the Science Advisor was visibly excited at the prospect acquiring such a knowledge. But before he could continue, Traa, the Trade Advisor interrupted.

"They also have a spice to add flavor and variety to their food." Traa, Trade Advisor seemed envious.

"The people would be happier if we could get some of these spices too, my lord." Domea, the Domestic Advisor and Traa looked at each other and nodded vigorously.

Shaking his head, Cad gave a deliberate cough and said, "They also lack our archery skills, great one. Perhaps we may gain the art of Pottery in exchange for teaching them?"

"No, it's not possible. Even the merest hint of that almost insulted them. You saw it as clearly as I did." said the Farei, Foreign Advisor, frowning at his friend.

Sashie VII ponders this. Surely the art of archery is as valuable as pottery skills, if not more. That the Mayans did not value it as highly as they should could only mean on thing; they were close to understanding the secrets on their own. "Tell me, what else can they offer us?"

"Only 10 bags of gold, my lord."

Obscenely cheap for an art long perfected by the Moraie. However, Sashie VII knows better than to put his pride over his mind. Swallowing hard, he said, "Instruct them on the use of the bow, and ask for all their gold in payment."

The advisors looked at each other.

"Is it wise to let them gain such weaponry, my lord?" his nervousness showing, Milliad, the Military Advisor clearly thought it is not.

"Do it."

Humming a nameless tune, the Moraien warrior walked alongside his companions. They have only completed their training but for a few days ago, and have already received their orders. The northern lands are unknown to the people, and they shall be the ones to explore it. Glancing down at his new stone-axe, his heart swelled with pride at the thought. Absently he wondered if his brother would also successfully complete his training, and what his assignment would be. Ah, I'll find out when we return, he thought.

1) Knowing that this are is most likely to become a city site in the future, he idly wondered...

2)... The explorers have sent word back to the city of their discoveries thus far. News of the fertile lands ...

3)... Only then did his companions bowed, and that was only briefly...

Ok, editing time. No, wait...first, I must comment. :D

Very nice stuff. I really like your style of writing. I think your element of foreshadowing future events is very good...what I mean is, you hint at things in the future, but don't give enough info as to what exactly it is. Very good job! ;)

so, the corrections (btw, your english is very good!) the bolded and underlined words should be:
1)area
2)had
3)bow

eagerly awaiting more :bounce:

Good start, Sashie! Keep it up :goodjob:

It will be some interesting to see who your neighbours are. It could be fun (and hard!) if the Zulus, the Germans and the Mongols are in the vicinity :)

Sashie VII brooded. He had just met the Mongolian envoys this morning, and despite their polite, respectful manner were not pleased with what he had found out. Apart from Pottery, the Mongols also bragged of their so-called letters, which they use to denote the sounds of speech as well as the knowledge of making bronze weapons. Our warriors cannot fight theirs yet, thought Sashie VII. Not with stone axes and clubs against bronze spears and armour. We must obtain that knowledge.

Sashie VII was so deeply lost in thought that he did not notice his Science Advisor entering. The advisor knew that the lord's worry is related to the Mongols' technological lead, and he brought news to ease the lord's mind.

"My lord, one of the merchants in the town square have discovered an important bit of information about the Mongols."

Sashie VII turned to look at the grinning Cad.

"What is it?"

"A merchant in the town square overheard the Mongols commenting about our buildings, my lord. Apparently they have no masons among their people! We might be able to gain something if we were to teach them some Masonry skills, my lord."

Sashie VII's eyes widened. A thought occured to him. "Dispatch runners to overtake the Mayan envoys. Have them return here at once, for I have a new proposal for Smoke-Jaguar." standing up, Sashie VII walked over to the window and gazed down upon his city. "And send for the Mongolians. I would meet them at once."

His mind raced. Is it possible..?

The council that evening was full of cheer. It was ascertained that the Mongols would share their bronze working skills if Moraie would take a several mongolians as masons's apprentices, apart from paying them two bags of gold. Then, carefully to prevent the Mongols from stumbling into the Mayans, it was then agreed with the Mayans to exchange the new knowlege for their Pottery skills. Sashie VII was somewhat relieved that his people would have better weapons to defend their homes if need be.

Reports from the exploration companies have also been good. To the west, the warriors have located a source of spices. In the southwestern jungles, several native villages with silk-making skills have been met. This news excited Domea and Traa.

"We must get them my lord. We need it!" they pleaded to no end.

"We will, eventually." Sashie VII was amused that they should yearn for luxuries so much. But he wonders if the silks alone is worth sending some of his people to found a city amidst all those jungle. Clearing the jungles will take a long time, and with the limitation of five cities..

He stood by the window, gazing at the far sunset. His warriors in the north had been accused of tresspassing into Mongolian territory and had been chased out. This had strained their relations a little, the Mongolian envoy who brought the word a little less polite than before. He warned that his lord Temujin was not pleased and another incursion such as that would mean war. Yes, war...that is eventual, but not now. The nation can ill-afford a war now, not when she is only getting ready to expand. Some of the more brave among the citizens have volunteered to go to the south and found another settlement. At that thought, Sashie VII smiled and decided that the worry can wait until after the evening meal. Turning away from the window, he was greeted by the sight of his Foreign Advisor entering.

"My lord, a message from the northern company of explorers!" breathless, the advisor paused to catch his breath.

"They have encountered more foreign peoples, lord. Their envoys should reach the city soon."

"What do the foreigners call themselves?"

"One are the proud Hittites, the other great Sumeria."

Again, foretold in my dream, thought Sashie VII. I wonder who the voice was? Or what?

Annoyed, Sashie VII was restless. The meetings with the foreign envoys in the morning bore no fruit for him, as no exchanges were possible. The Hittites and Sumerians are as advanced as Mongolians, with their so-called letters and religious ceremonies. Not to mention the vulgarity of the envoys themselves. They acted as if the Moraiens were beneath them! Sashie VII knew patience is now his best ally, yet still he does not like it.

Sleep came late for him that night.

They watched in silence.

After a while, one of them tapped his companion's shoulder lightly.The other nodded before vanishing into the gloom. He would return to their camp to inform the leader of their company while the first continue watching the big campfire in the clearing ahead of him. Hidden by trees, he is fairly certain that the gloom of the night concealed him. Still unconvinced by what he saw, he knew that it is could mean nothing good for them. Gauging by the size of the camp, and the number of fires, there are easily three companies of Mongolian warriors.

By what they have seen so far, he knew that the Mongolian heartlands are most likely to the west. That the Mongols were sending a force this strong to the east worried him. Have they come to make war? Remembering his parents in unguarded Moraien, he was deeply troubled. Are they marching to Moraien?

Uh-oh... :(

:eek: RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

:lol:

Sashie VII, are you playing this as we speak, or has this been played out fully, or partially?

Top Bottom