Friesland for vanilla Civ4

Well to be honest. I used your civs as an example:D

lol Still that shouldn't take away from your own impressive work!

I will also extend the same offer to you as I did to ElGrillo. If you ever need a unit for any work that you are doing send me a p.m with what you want to do and I will see what I can do.

Btw you really should put this in the frontpage thread to get some coverage for your work. It certainly deserves it! :goodjob:

Great job again!

cool, ive never heard of "friesland", is it a germanic tribe or something, or fake??

I appriciate this Civ. I also made a Frisian civilization quite some time ago. This one looks a bit more proffesinal tough.
There are a few remarks i would like to make. You are using the Dutch name for this people. It doesnt make sence, since the game is English and the Frisan have their own name for themselves(since they have their own language). So i suggest you either use the native name Fryslân or the English:Frisia.
I also cant agree with special unit. Fryslân was at its biggest during the Roman time and during the middle ages, not during the stone age. It would be better to use a swordfighter that replaces the swordman. A unit that is good against the Roman special unit (since the biggest victories were made on the Romans).

Futher more i have a few ideas to suggest. Next to the leader you made now, you could also make King redbad. He is the most famous Frisian king. Another good leader would be Grûtte Pierre (Great Pierre), he is a famous hero, who fought against the oppresion of Holland back in the middle ages.

I didnt install the Civ yet, but i am wondering which cities you used? I am pretty sure you used the Dutch names, but all towns and cities have their own Frisian name. Since there are no real English names for those cities, i would like suggest to use the Frisian native names. I could help you with that, if you want.

Futher more I would like to underline that the Frisian are not a tribe, but a people. The Frisian people are partly ancestors of the English (the Frisian language has quite some similarities with English in pronanucation and words) and Frence. They are now a part of the Dutch kingdom, but in the past they were a independend country that covered a great part of the current Netherlands (Utrecht was an important tradeoutpost)and the German costline untill Denmark.

SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A PAIN IN THE ARS;)

I appriciate this Civ. I also made a Frisian civilization quite some time ago. This one looks a bit more proffesinal tough.
There are a few remarks i would like to make. You are using the Dutch name for this people. It doesnt make sence, since the game is English and the Frisan have their own name for themselves(since they have their own language). So i suggest you either use the native name Fryslân or the English:Frisia.
I also cant agree with special unit. Fryslân was at its biggest during the Roman time and during the middle ages, not during the stone age. It would be better to use a swordfighter that replaces the swordman. A unit that is good against the Roman special unit (since the biggest victories were made on the Romans).

Futher more i have a few ideas to suggest. Next to the leader you made now, you could also make King redbad. He is the most famous Frisian king. Another good leader would be Grûtte Pierre (Great Pierre), he is a famous hero, who fought against the oppresion of Holland back in the middle ages.

I didnt install the Civ yet, but i am wondering which cities you used? I am pretty sure you used the Dutch names, but all towns and cities have their own Frisian name. Since there are no real English names for those cities, i would like suggest to use the Frisian native names. I could help you with that, if you want.

Futher more I would like to underline that the Frisian are not a tribe, but a people. The Frisian people are partly ancestors of the English (the Frisian language has quite some similarities with English in pronanucation and words) and Frence. They are now a part of the Dutch kingdom, but in the past they were a independend country that covered a great part of the current Netherlands (Utrecht was an important tradeoutpost)and the German costline untill Denmark.

SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A PAIN IN THE ARS;)

A few counter remarks. I can change the names to the Frisian native form, but it will make me confused:lol: . I'll try to make the best of it. And as for Redbad, he is in the Warlords verion of the mod.

I know the history of the Frisian people very well, and my choice for the Frisian warrior was not because of the stoneage period, the Inca's have a unit that replaces the warrior, so do the Celts in Warlords. It doesn't mean it is stoneage, it means they lack technology and/or resources to make the propper weapons for the unit you proposed to me. The Frisian people had the technology, but not the resources. And since their trade with the Romans limited itself to fur and warriors they had trouble getting bronze and iron needed.

As for the city list, I have included Dutch places, German places and English places. Though most of them in Dutch and only a few in native form.

And finally, your not a pain in the ars:) , with that knowledge of yours you can really help people. I can now make my mod even better, for all of you to enjoy:D

If you like, you can help me with the native names of the cities, I would appreciate it:D

If you could post the list of the cities and towns you used, then I post the native names.

A few other remarks about the UU. I can agree that you wont make a Frisian swordman, but replacing the warior with the UU...it's not correct. If you let this unit fight against the romanUU, it will loose badly. I suggest, use the same UU, but replace the axe or swordman and give the FrisianUU the same advantage as(or close to) the RomanUU.
Still its your Civ and you make the descisions.

@DiRectum

Ok, here it is

Spoiler :
Leeuwarden
Almenum
Boorne
Ezonstad
Ferwoude
Oldeboorn
Sneek
IJlst
Dokkum
Workum
Dumfries
Friston
Freeston
Dorestad
Drachten
Wolvega
Heerenveen
Harlingen
Ameland
Journe
Witmarsum
Terschelling
Vlieland
SChiermonnikoog

And about the UU, that's a nice plan. Like a preatorian with stone/wood weapons. But I don't think it will work out the way I want it to be for my secret plan. Yes like every civilization modder I too have a secret plan :D

Top Bottom