Belgium

pay-t

Lazy historian
Finally, after all these years of waiting, you can play as Belgium. I know you want to, everybody does. :D

Leader: Baudouin (Organized, Protective)

UU: Brigade Piron (replaces infantry)
+50% against gunpowder units

UB: Frietkot (replaces supermarket)
+3 happiness, -2 health

Dowload here

Spoiler :

Another nice job there pay-t! :goodjob:

With your Leaderhead though you really should rethink that background, the sky is glaring out the top half of your leader. Also from the quick glance I took at your Civilopedia entry or him I noticed that you have some sort of Unicode square where the dash normally would be, you might want to change that. ;)

Otherwise another great job:goodjob:

Aranor

I think that you should add Leopold. He was a terrible person, but I think that he's noteworthy enough.

@ Aranor

I'm thinking about changing background too, so that shouldn't be a problem. And the Unicode square will be over with too:)

@ Vrenir

Nice suggestion, I was planning on adding at least 2 leaders to each of my civilizations. But I couldn't find another of my liking for Belgium that quick. But I will add him :D

Looking nice.
I would change the leader traits for Baudewijn I. Organize is not the correct trait for Belgium as it has a very complex governemental structure. We have 1 federal governement, 3 community govs (Dutchspeaking, Frenchspeaking and Germanspeaking), 3 regional (Flemmish, Wallon, and Brussels) and 10 provinces all with representation and this costs a lot of money. So organized (= -50% civic cost), no way.
Baudewijn was a very religion man. If he would not have been king of Belgium, he would have been a monk, so maybe spiritual would be better.

I would give Leopold II the following traits :
-Creative : he rebuild Brussels a whole lot and gave it nice building and big Boulevards
-agresive or imperialisric : He conquered Congo as his private land but had to give it to Belgium later on.

Albert I could be a nice leader to. He lead the Belgian army during WWI. He was the king-knight, but then... what you have given us is already very nice.

Looking nice.
I would change the leader traits for Baudewijn I. Organize is not the correct trait for Belgium as it has a very complex governemental structure. We have 1 federal governement, 3 community govs (Dutchspeaking, Frenchspeaking and Germanspeaking), 3 regional (Flemmish, Wallon, and Brussels) and 10 provinces all with representation and this costs a lot of money. So organized (= -50% civic cost), no way.
Baudewijn was a very religion man. If he would not have been king of Belgium, he would have been a monk, so maybe spiritual would be better.

I would give Leopold II the following traits :
-Creative : he rebuild Brussels a whole lot and gave it nice building and big Boulevards
-agresive or imperialisric : He conquered Congo as his private land but had to give it to Belgium later on.

Albert I could be a nice leader to. He lead the Belgian army during WWI. He was the king-knight, but then... what you have given us is already very nice.

I see your point about the organized trait, and I'll think about it. As for Leopold II, I was planning on using Creative and Imperialistic:)

Why not add Prince Laurant, with auto trait all units +2 Movement (he likes fast cares etc.)
I'm belgian, so I like it that yuo made the belgian civ, Congratz :)

If I would add all the leaders I have gotten suggested I would have like 10 leaders for you to choose from. Wich is quite muchs. I'll just stick with 2 (perhaps 3) for each civilization I make:D

Yay Belgium!

For a second leader, Leopold II is an interesting choice. He colonialised Congo (as his personal property, only after his death it became property of the Belgian state). He had the biggest personal fortune of all Belgian kings, mainly because he exploited Congo for it's riches, using the local population as slaves. He had a healthy interest in women, if I'm not mistaken the larger part of his inheritance went to one of his girlfriends. He was as dictatorial as one could be in a democratic state like Belgium, which wasn't much, but he made up for that lack of power in Belgium by oppressing the locals in his personal playground, Congo.

And he had an enormous beard.

In short, an interesting character, and probably easier to put in Civ than any of the other ones, though if you can do Boudewijn, you can do any of them I guess, that guy never did anything :D

Other kings of Belgium:
Leopold I: didn't do a thing.
(Leopold II goes here)
Albert I: most noteworthy feats: not surrendering in WWI, falling to his death
Leopold III: married two times (teh horror), collaborated during WWII, forced to abdicate.
Boudewijn: you know him :)
Albert II: laughs a lot, his most noteworthy quality is that he knows the power he holds as king (which is to say, none), unlike his sons.
Next in line: Filip. Will probably be known as the last king of Belgium, unless he learns very soon how nót to **** things up as a member of the royal family.

There ye go. But i'd still go with Leopold II, he's interesting. Well, as far as Belgian kings go...

Nice one, pay-T

I never had loaded a mod before but had to try this one yesterday :crazyeye: and played it for a couple of hours.

One question: the colors off the Belgian flag are shades of grey on my computer, so not black, yellow and red.
Did I do something wrong or did you coded it in this way?

greetz

It has nothing to do with coding, neither with you downloading it wrong. It has to do with the weird way DDS files work. But I will get it in color in the next version:)

Heeey! great job ! your Baudouin character is great but look likes much more like our current king Albert II (and I propose to keep french names like Baudouin instead of Boudewijn cause it's spelled the french way in english)

and I love the idea of the fritkot as unique building !

What is a Frietkot? If it makes fried food, then mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

There is almost no Belgian patriotism for obvious reasons, that's why a non-Belgian has made this civ. lol. Funny as hell though.

Leopold II would be a great addition. Financial + Industrious.

Too bad I'm not a modder, a Flemish or Walloon civ would look great. Bart de Wever for the Flemish civ. ;)

EDIT: AH, I see you're a Limburger, a reservebelg. Yes, except for people from Limburg there's no Belgian patriotism. :p It boggles my mind that Limburgers want to be Belgian instead of Dutch...

Actually, we Limburgers want to be independent ;). The "patriotism" we have is only due to lack of an own country.

In my PayCivs I have added Leopold II to the civ, though it's BtS only.

Limburg is the province with its own (very strong) identity, neither German nor Dutch. I must say I'm a bit jealous of the the Limburgish solidarity you guys have.

Top Bottom