Conquest of the World

Part Twenty-One: Australia Becomes Greek

1894 AD - The attack on Moscow also occurs in 1894. Artillery and Ironclads pound the city, and the Riflemen take significant casualties, leaving Musketman as the first guard.

The musketmen fare well, and two Greek Cavalry are lost before the first Musketman falls. The old hero Pyrrhus then leads a charge against Riflemen, and defeats two units of them without excessive losses of Medieval Infantry. It is then up to the brigade of Infantry that has long been besieging Moscow to take the city.

That they succeed in.

Before advancing more military units, I check my diplomacy. I notice that I'm rather bankrupting poor Egypt.

Oh well. It's reason enough for me to not go to war with them at least.

I'm left without a rival in invade in Asia. Those nearby I have diplomatic agreements with, and those far away I cannot reach due to no one being willing to grant right of passage. Oh well, guess I'll build up.

1895 AD -

Looks like I've got an enemy in Africa. Oh well, I'd been preparing to fight them for awhile. They have one city in Pakistan that I'll be able to grab quickly. The rest - well, I'd already thought of a plan to take them.

Hey, what's up with that, America? I thought we were allies. Oh well, so long as the Maya and Ottomans can hold this'll give America a chance to regroup.

And then comes an alliance between the Aztecs and Byzantines and the subsequent...

Things are really heating up this turn! Looks like those Scandinavian Cavalry we saw rushing towards Zululand might be returning this way fairly soon.

Rome kills one redlined Guerilla during their turn. Not too bad for us yet.

1896 AD - So...time to take out Karachi. Here's where it's located:

But alas, no combat occurs this turn. Our units simply are not within striking distance of any city. Advances occur towards Saint Petersburg and Karachi.

1897 AD - An Egyptian Spearman defeats a Persian Cavalry that had landed by Frankfurt. Just one turn from dying, Egypt will fight another turn.

Another alliance occurs...the Aztecs and Romans against the Scandinavians.

Those Aztecs have been creating quite a few alliances. This one could be bad for Rome, though, seeing as Scandinavia had a bunch of Cavalry heading through Roman territory towards Zululand a few turns ago.

The Aztecs also bring the landlocked Chinese into war against the Maya. Oh well, I'm not the one sending money to China for help in a war they cannot help in.

America asks that I join them in an embargo against Egypt, and I agree. Our diplomatic standing improves to Polite. I consider renegotiating my Silk export deal with America to gain more gold, but seeing that they are, as Lincoln says, "poorer than a blind drunkard in a crooked poker game," I see I would receive less gold and thus do not.

1898 AD - We finish Battlefield Medicine in the formerly Portuguese city of Emerita, located in Indochina.

Good news on the foreign front: Our Mayan allies have fulfilled their obligation under our Mutual Protection Pact and declared war on Rome. It doesn't really help us, but at least we'll get brownie points for being allies in the war.

The scientific community also announces a great discovery at the beginning of the year. A team of scientists based in Corinth had completed the first of what they called a Combustion Engine. Presenting their report to King Alexander, they claimed that such technology would revolutionize shipping and naval warfare by allowing larger ships, better armor, and propulsion by an oil-powered engine. The new design was to be faster and more reliable than ironclads. The King listened skeptically. Ironclads had revolutionized the navy, but were quite slow and could not handle the open ocean. A change such as this in seafaring would revolutionize transportation. Then the scientists invited him to come to their dockyards and see the engine in action. After consulting his advisors, the King agreed. Two weeks later, along with a Hoplite guard, he took the train to the city. There he saw the new ship.

The shipwrights demonstrated its speed and stability, and the King was persuaded to come aboard. He remained in Corinth for the remainder of the week, and was quite pleased to see the ship perform well even in storms.

Upon his return, it was decided to send an envoy aboard the new ship to the Maya. It was also ordered that the cities of Knossos and Pharsalos, on the island of Borneo, immediately begin outfitting military versions of the combustion-powered ships.

The voyage across the Pacific proves worthwhile almost immediately. The Maya have once again fallen into hard times.

We agree to export Rubber for just 31 gold. We have plenty extra, and the Aztecs must be stopped.

We also managed to, at long last, sneak a spy into Tenochtitlan:

This puts the Aztecs between the Celts and Persians in terms of land power, and ahead of both in terms of sea power. The Mayans and Ottomans are both considerably weaker than the Aztecs, hence why we hope to get America back in the war soon. Unfortunately, we once again fail to plant a spy in Washington, so we remain unsure of America's strength.

As the envoy returns, telegraphs of the progress against the Russians begin coming in. Artillery and a now-obsolete Ironclad have heavily bombarded Saint Petersburg.

The attack then begins. Elite Cavalry first face the injured Infantry, and earn victory, albeit at 60% casualties. Pikemen are next in the order of defence, and, surprisingly, defeat a regiment of Infantry. I thought repeating rifles were supposed to be stronger than pikes :confused:

Another Infantry regiment defeats some Riflemen without any trouble, and then the pikes fall. As the news reaches the home front, great celebrations commence. After 48 years, all of Australia is now ours.

But Russia is not finished yet!

They still occupy the island of Tasmania, south of Victoria in Australia. But don't worry, we have plans for defeating that city :).

In the mean time, we make peace with Russia for a World Map, 3 Gold, and an embargo against the Aztecs. Don't worry, they will get what's coming to them, in approximately 1938.

Shortly after the signing of the peace treaty, the King received a letter from the Greek Field Marshal in Australia:

After some thought, the King agreed. The Aztecs were the most powerful rival in the world, and the Maya and Ottomans, even the Americans, clearly needed some help. It was arranged that Galleons would be refitted into oil-powered transports, and then be sent to Australia to pick up troops.

Last edited:
Edit: This is regarding the cannon topic.

These kinds of conquests generally move a lot slower. If you're not into that, you're not into that, otherwise put blitzkrieg aside and march your troops.

LOL, love what the Mayans said. But I bet that was photoshopped, or maybe you edited the diplomacy.txt file?

Why don't the smilies you type in work?

World Map?

LOL, love what the Mayans said. But I bet that was photoshopped, or maybe you edited the diplomacy.txt file?

Why don't the smilies you type in work?

World Map?

Smilies don't work because I disabled them in the post options so I could make one post instead of two. Both of the last two sections have had exactly 15 images not counting smilies.

The Mayan text was "Microsoft Paint-ed". It's in the character of what AI says, but they'll never say exactly that to you!

You said you had 41 screenies- you gonna use the other 11 soon?

Yeah. 3 or 4 of them were smilies, the others come in the next section.

I would just like to say- Great story, I've enjoyed it since the start.
I don't play as aggressively as you do, but a strategy I use to decrease War weariness is get THEM to declare war on YOU. I'm sure this strategy has been used countless times, but I'd just like to point it you.
Once again, this is a great, epic tale you've got here. Keep it going!

Awesome story dude, but I have uust one question for you, just one question.
Can we see a map?????

Hey great story and game you got going on, i have been reading the whole thing from work for the past few days. I initially started to play Civ 4 but i got to a certain age and things started to slow on my comp drastically until i cant even load that map anymore without it crashing lol
But this thread has been an inspiration to start playing civ 3 which i have been playing now for 5 days.

I am having wicked trouble keeping up with the science output or any capacity to build any wonders. Though i expand rapidly, and have a decent army. oh i am playing on regeant. also corruption is the killer for sure.

Just sitting waiting patiently for the updates. good job

Manitoba Grower:

First, welcome to CFC!! [party] :band:

Second, If you don't like corruption, you can always mod it out, like Quintillus did in this story. He posted instructions earlier in the story on how to get rid of it.

Yea i could always mod it out, but i am a true believer in just playing the game without any mods (unless it makes different units, or better graphics or something like that). Just wondering if Quintillus or anyone had any thoughts or some tips for playing with corruption.

Utterly Brilliant dude. Kind of looking forward to seeing the 1st Greek Expeditionary Force in the New World. Also looking forward to when you get tanks. Regardless, great update.

Yea i could always mod it out, but i am a true believer in just playing the game without any mods (unless it makes different units, or better graphics or something like that). Just wondering if Quintillus or anyone had any thoughts or some tips for playing with corruption.
1. Improvements: courthouses and police stations.
2. Government: despotism is utterly horrible. Consult the civilopedia to see which government works for your current situation.
3. Small wonder: the forbidden palace counts as a second capital of sorts, reducing corruption much like your capital does.

:)

Utterly Brilliant dude. Kind of looking forward to seeing the 1st Greek Expeditionary Force in the New World. Also looking forward to when you get tanks. Regardless, great update.

I'm more anxious for the modern age. Nothing like blowing entire armies off the face of the earth with nukes. :nuke: :mwaha:

2. Government: despotism is utterly horrible. Consult the civilopedia to see which government works for your current situation.
3. Small wonder: the forbidden palace counts as a second capital of sorts, reducing corruption much like your capital does.

Corruption-wise, Democracy is the best, or Communism if you are big enough. And if you are commie, there is also the SPHQ.

Thanks, everyone. I've been playing CivIV (first culture win ever!) and SimCity for the past few days, and now the cycle is back to CivIII.

Here's the World map, as of 1898 (end of last section):

And here's a close-up of Africa, since so much has been happening there the last few turns (unfortunately for Egypt). Orange stars indicate capitals (except Persepolis, indicated by a black star for contrast); stars filled in with blue indicate cities on the Top Five Cities of the World chart (Entremont, the Celtic Capital, and Lugdunum, also Celtic).

Welcome to CFC, ManitobaGrower! :snowgrin: Glad you've enjoyed the story. On reducing corruption (or at least its affects): Make sure you have courthouses just about everywhere, and then build lots of Marketplaces, Libraries, Universities, and Banks for the economy and science, even if you end up with a few fewer cities. Expansion is good, but there can be too much of a good thing! And I'm sure the articles killerkid linked to will help out even more.

Oh, and don't forget to use the Go Advanced option on a post and then Expand the smily options. It's quite an impressive and fun array of smilies (as you've already seen)!

Last edited:
Part Twenty-Two: The Turn of the Century

1899 AD - At the end of the century we see Byzantine Riflemen start coming east from the city of Stavenger in droves. They just took it from the Scandinavians, and they've got momentum.

Scandinavia, realizing they've got a few too many wars with the Byzantines coming like this, signs an alliance against the Zulu with Mongolia, exporting one of their wars. The Aztecs then convince the Mongols to declare war on the Ottomans. So much for Mongolia being peaceful...

And then Frankfurt falls. To Babylon. Yes, the Middle-Ages Babylonians got there first. Good for them. Bad for our treasury, which just lost 96 GPT.

1900 AD - The turn of the century arrives! Again great celebrations occur. Our technology has improved markedly over the past 100 years. Steel revolutionized building; Ironclads and then Refining and Combustion changed transportation forever. Sanitation has come a very long way since 1800, both in knowledge and implementation through hospitals. The Atomic Theory and Electronics have given us new uses and methods for creating electricity, although coal power remains dominant. Communism and Fascism were discovered, though neither has been implemented. Espionage also made great strides. And scientists promise still further discoveries in the twentieth century!

A census is also conducted throughout the empire. In all, the Greek population comes to 23,550,000 people. Knossos, the largest city, has 950,000 residents. The GNP exceeds $1.5 billion annually, and manufacturing comes to 950 megatons. Literacy is 59%, 20th of 24 countries. The government promises to increase that number within 30 years. Life expectancy is 59 years, 8th in the world. Pollution is 39 tons, by far the most in the world (and the most I've ever had in a Civ game - time to get more workers!). The world population is estimated at 124 million.

Back to the battles. The city of Rhodes, in west-central India, has completed a new warship.

That's right, a Privateer. Note that its intended target is a Caravel. Soon enough we'll have lots of Cruisers. But right now, it's still time for Pirates!

We have one battle this turn, for Karachi. A city on a hill, it is well-defended even with Musketmen. We lose 5 units in defeating three, and Rome still has at least one Cavalry defending the city, albeit redlined. Unfortunately, we have not a single extra Cavalry unit on the entire continent of Asia. So Karachi will remain Roman another turn. We've learned our lesson, and along with the two Infantry reinforcements we can procure, we send three Medeival Infantry and four Cannons.

Greece also founds a new city in present-day Saudi Arabia this turn, named Halicarnassus.

1901 AD - Bad news on the foreign front:

And then Africa breaks down:

Well, after millennia of peace, now we've got more war than we know what to do with. No doubt now that our help is needed in the New World. And it'll be interesting to see how the African war goes. Right now both combatants are really poor and backwards, Babylon is obviously gambling that they can come out on top and work their way into being a power. If they win, good for them. If Rome wins, good for me when I take them over ;)

1902 AD - Here is a map of the situation in Africa:

China is rushing to found a new city in the ruins of Egypt, and has a surprisingly, um, "advanced" guard:

Checking with the Department of Espionage, I learn that at long last the Ottomans have Rubber. 7 Riflemen have been upgraded to Infantry. Maybe, just maybe, they stand a chance.

The Cannons I brought to Karachi do a good deal of damage. I then decide to try for a Great Leader:

Both the Elite Medieval Infantry and an Elite Cavalry win, but I get no Great Leader. Oh well, I get a city.

1903 AD - Rome makes several Cavalry advances, and manages to take the city of Konigsberg from me. At least my Privateer survives.

1904 AD - Nothing of interest happens this turn. Sorry.

(Oh come on, we can't have something big happen every turn. For that matter, do we really want something big every turn?)

Last edited:
Just wondering, how exactly does Frankfurt falling make your treasury drop by 96 GPT??? And are you possibly gonna attack the Vikings?

EDIT: Never mind, that was the Egyptians last city, right?

Top Bottom