Age of Kings (Scenario)

Craig_Sutter

Deity
This is a huge Europe map for the European Middle Ages Mod.

The download is at:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=4179

A scenario using the European Middle Ages Mod .65 that goes from 480 AD to 1480 AD. Set in a 112x96 Europe including most of Scandanavia, Europe to the Urals, the Middle East (about half of what is now Iraq) and North Africa, this Scenario has 18 civs as follows:

England
Viking Kingdoms
France
Germany
Spanish Kingdoms
Italian States
Hungary
Poland
Byzantium
The Turks
The Arabs
The Egyptians
The Moors
Greater Bulgaria
The Tatar Khaganates
Lithuania
Kievan Rus
Armenia

Each Civ starts with three cities, garrisoned with 2 warriors and a worker. One settler is also in the capital (except for Bulgaria, where the settler is placed in the eastern most city).

The European Middle Ages Mod (0.65) is needed for this scenario... it is at

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256

Also, note that I've not placed resources manually... they are randomly generated using the WBS python console. If you wish to regenerate the resources do it using the process in the following thread...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145278

Screenshot:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148201&d=1171721044

Original Thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=207863

Version History:
1.50 741 downloads 741 total
1.65 299 downloads 1040 total
1.74 Current download

Change Log:
Spoiler :

Feb 17/07 1.50 released

July 01/07 1.65 released
This is updated to 0.65. Changes from previous version... retitled from The Dark Ages to not conflict with Head Serf's scenario. Changed Italian States leader to Simone. Added starting techs as reflected by the Civinfo file.

August 23/07 1.74 released
This is updated to 0.74 of the EMA mod.

Started a game as the Italian States. First reaction: plains hills, plains hills! Do you have something against cities growing past size 4? I exaggerate, of course, but I do think there is a problem, in that placing food resources through the computer generator is not enough. the middle ages modpack removes two health-giving food resources, rice and maize, that have no real substitute. If you're placing resources manually, you can accommadate this, but the random resource generator is too dumb to realize that the resources which have been added in by the mod give no food. This leads to an overall saddening lack of food. I mean, Rome, which is supposed to be the supreme city of the European world at the time, starts off with one measly plains cow!

Also, any reason why you've made all your scenarios default to marathon? It's annoying having to go reload the whole scenario again because I've once again forgotten that I have to click on normal to actually get normal speed play...

They are at marathon because that is the speed he saven them at, and he also likes playing marathon, me on the other hand, its epic. and to the food, no idea. because as the byzantines, athens is surrounded by plains hills and no food. so whenever i start a game as byzantuim, i place a fish resource there.

Actually, I don't know why they start on marathon. I remove the WBS settings that indicate what gamespeed to set. My games started on normal all the time for a while, because that seemed to be the default for CIV IV, not just the scenario...I was testing at that speed. Now that I'm playing more, it defaults to marathon... I think the game remembers previous settings. Try starting an ordinary civ game in normal... perhaps the default will be normal thereafter.

Yes, there are a lot of plains-hills. I drew upon a variety of maps, and made decisions on how I would convert map terrains to CIV terrain. I used the BMP to WBS program. In my play (though I haven't played Rome), I've been satisfied with the city sizes (although I do, indeed, like small city size... it is the middle ages after all). I've been satisfied with the sizes, and the range of sizes that develop, given the vagaries of chance that can occur with random distribution.

Rome, actually, had declined a lot by this time, 500 AD, and was not as large as it used to be, and was surpassed by a number of cities... in the next century, it declined to under 20,000 people (according to my sources). That's beside the point, though, as in a game the player can improve upon reality.

I will consider adding a grassland hills tile, though, but Rome was hilly and in a dry mediterranean climate.

I won't be placing resources though, as I indeed do not like the predicability of doing so. You can, of course, regenerate the resources on your own, as specified in the first post... sometimes I'll do so (not even opening world builder) until I'm satisfied with resource allocation in my cities' view (although I do this rarely).

Thanks for playing the scenario. I'll await a few more comments from others, and see about changes in the future.

Yeah. I don't mean to sound . .. .. .. .. .y, it's just I'm used to perhaps the over-abundant food of the two Europe maps that come with the mod. I just like to have capital cities that are nicely prosperous.

The middle ages werent a prosperous time. although a little more food might be in order to balence out your aparent liking of plains hills.

i onlty play it occasionaly. its just way to big. my computer can handle just about any game but it really doesnt like your map in the late game. If you could shrink your map down, that would be nice, so i dont have cities with -6 upkeep costs with only 4 pop.

if you mean the large map that comes with the mod, my computer handles it just fine, and im running a motherboard and proscessor that is from 01/02. course i got more memory and a good video card, but all you need is roughly 1-2 gig of memory. (i think).

you might want to up it. also updating from windows 98 to xp worked wonders. also getting more memory (not hard disk) isnt that expensive and unless your computer is ancient, you should be able to put more memory in easly.

In response to both of your posts, they will have to update it, and they haven't been around for a while. If you want, I have the scenerios, so I can upload them.

Please do! (I've posted a link to the The Dark Ages thread - where you put the Mapszipfile - on that DL page.):)

Playing this one and it is really great.

Some points:

• I disabled settler building.
  • I increased the unit movement rate by 2
  • some little bugs in it: the promotion icons do not correspond to what they mean (as an example -> the first upgrade to city defense), envoys & caravans do not seem to have any purpose in the game.
  • I appreciate the fact you got a new science tree, I really disliked the scince tree from the original game
  • do you got a version for BTS ?

I have the feeling I am a real viking leader (I play with the vikings), I really like it.

btw: why so few replies, has hardly anyone played this one?

This mod has been dead for about 1 and a half years. I dont have the time to update it to BTS and I have no idea where Head Serf and Craig Sutter got to. It would have to be updated to BTS because very few people play vanilla.

Top Bottom