Conquest of the World

Part Twenty-Seven: Regaining the Southern Edge

1920 AD - There was much action in the city of Amsterdam during the spring of 1920. Transports were arriving every few hours with the first load of troops from Australia - Greece's finest Cavalry. They had been specially selected for this mission - to drive back the Celts with a swiftness they would never expect.

Three cities were to be targeted this turn: Bombay and Eretria in India...

...and Hamburg in the Middle East, provided the Indian front went well.

The initial scouting report on India proved that the Celts had already built up respectable defenses. Fortunately, Greece had the necessary workers to get the artillery there in time.

Bombay was the first city to be targeted. One artillery group targeted this city; despite its damage a Cavalry brigade was lost. Still, the Celts failed to hold the city, and once more Hoover Dam was Greek.

The rest of the Greek artillery unload on Eretria. The walls fall, and the Infantry defending the city are reduced to half-strength. Time to sent the Cavalry in...

The Infantry fell easily, but a defending Cavalry defeated a Greek attack, so there's only one Greek Cavalry left to attack...

Whew! The plan didn't reach its full ambitions of Hamburg, but getting the Celts out of India was essential, and now complete. Conscript Infantry are drafted from formerly Portuguese lands to defend the cities.

As our Infantry realign to protect our railroad workers in the Middle East, a band of Marines engages some Chinese encroachers in the Gobi.

No contest.

But there is one last real contest this turn:

The Third Battle of Madras

The Indian riflemen hurried towards the harbor. Surely the Greeks wouldn't have the audacity to land directly in the city...would they?

"Whoa! Watchit!" yelled one of the leading rifleman to his comrades as a bullet whizzed by. Looks like they're serious, he thought.

He would be one of the lucky ones. The first Greek Marines had already targeted the streets where the Indians were most likely to appear immediately after their landing, and nailed a good number of the Indians that way. But the Indians regrouped, and though the Greeks secured an easy beachhead they wouldn't have an easy battle.

The regrouped Riflemen fought ferociously to defend the streets, and with excellent aim picked off many of the better-equipped Greeks before they had a chance to fire. For awhile, it looked like the Riflemen could win the battle. But their numbers were slowly falling as well. Even some skilled sniping by Riflemen on the city's hills was not enough to deny the superior weapons of the Greeks indefinitely.

In the end, the Marines triumphed in their first marine invasion. They had done exactly what they needed to do - catch the enemy off guard. While the Indians watched the Hoplites and Longbowmen arranged on the hill, they lost crucial land by the coast.

The rest of the battle for Madras was relatively easy for Greece. A few Marines fell to surprise Spearman attacks on the crowded city streets, but by and large the Marines proved superior. Madras was once again Greek - hopefully for good this time.

1921 AD - Korea ended their embargo with Greece against the Aztecs, but upped their payment for Saltpeter and two luxuries from 59 GPT to 88 GPT. Fair enough.

The Ottomans and Mongols make peace, and the Maya make peace with the Celts and Russians. Newsworthy because peace treaties are pretty rare right now.

Sumeria declared war on the Byzantines. My advisor did not mention any outside agreement.

A bunch of other wars are started, but none that are likely to involve much actual combat. Portugal, however, signs into three wars - potentially disastrous for them as they have only one city.

The Celts attack Halicarnassus! By the best estimates, the losses are five Celtic Infantry and Guerrilla regiments, three Greek Infantry regiments, and a Greek Hoplite regiment. But alas, that is all the defenders Greece had...and the city is razed.

Down south on Madagascar, a Japanese Samurai takes the city of Intombe from the Zulu, who are reduced to two cities, albeit both of size 12.

And in the New World, the Maya have taken the city of Houston in Quebec. We're certainly glad that the first change over there in quite a while is in our favor.

1922 AD - Out Battleship by Japan happens to get lucky and find some prey.

It loses half its health, but does sink the Ironclad.

We decide to move forward and retake Hamburg despite the loss of Halicarnassus last turn. Our troops position for the attack...

The only defenders are a Regular Infantry and Veteran Guerrilla. Both are redlined by our Artillery. Our Cavalry make quick work of the remaining defenders, and...

Hamburg is ours! Our net loss to the Celts is back to one city...a far cry from when the Celts had Bombay. Twelve foreign Workers immediately build railroads connecting Bombay to the rest of our empire. Three Conscripts are drafted to defend the newly retaken city - much as we'd like otherwise, we remain stretched for troops.

1923 AD - Again several war declarations, but only two likely to have real implications: Zululand declaring war on the Babylonians and China declaring war on Scandinavia. Spain also declared war on the Aztecs in a move that makes the islands of Hawaii at war with each other - not a good time to take a vacation there. Or just about anywhere, for that matter.

The Ottomans and Inca make peace - good news for us as the Ottomans now have one less front other than the Aztecs to worry about. The Ottomans also make peace with Zululand.

Remember the city of Dacca from way back when? On the island of Java? Well, it's in the news again. Persia just landed a bunch of Cavalry there. A "gulp" moment for the defenders indeed. But thanks to a Transport docked in Amsterdam, we may be able to get reinforcements if necessary.

Portugal's last city of Leiria, on Japan, remains standing with one redlined regular pikeman defending it! Come on...even if it's the Aztecs I'd just as soon have it taken...fewer rivals left is fine by me, especially when they already are down to one city. Oh well, what can you say?

But despite their apparent failure to take Leiria, the Aztecs do retake Houston from the Maya. But their triumph is short-lived; America takes it right back from them. A glimmer of light is appearing even as the Aztecs seek to expand on Hokkaido.

Back at home, sure enough, Hamburg is attacked soon after being retaking, but only by one Cavalry thus far. Not too far away, a stoic Marine unit in northern Saudi Arabia holds off three attacking Celtic units, losing just one hitpoint in the endeavor. Two of the aggressors die; a third retreats.

Greece has recovered - the Celtic momentum has been stopped.

Last edited:
Very nice! Death to the celts! , It's amazing you have no armies yet.

Wow! This is exciting...take a break and get some sleep...what time zone are you in? According to EST you posted that at 6:56 AM! :eek:
Another thing from my game:[pissed]

Soooo pissed. Just because I asked them to take their damn troops out of my territory fifty times and they didn't. And they're not powerful at all...so stupid...
Anyway, back to your story again! :D

^ Where I live, it was 1:56 PM when he posted that. :p

And yeah, looking forward to the next update. :D

I don't think he's in Romania...are you? Anyway, you should still take a break Quintillus...:goodjob:

3:56 AM My time. :eek:

Why don't you just declare on Portugal and take Leiria?

World Map?

Pyrrhus' Army?

Seeing as this seems to be the thread to post in first time around, i thought id join the ranks. Hey everyone nice to be here (although im amaturish(not sure if thats a real word :lol: ) at civ im hoping to learn lots) Great story Quintillus, makes me want to play the huge world map. Although at the minute im busy squashing the Baybalonians on the standard size map. Unfortunately they have a 1x1 island left (the Falklands), i have 3 turns left until 2050, and am still 16 turns away from marines so i guess thats lost :( . Oh well. Enjoy your break and congrats again on a great game.

Seeing as this seems to be the thread to post in first time around, i thought id join the ranks. Hey everyone nice to be here (although im amaturish(not sure if thats a real word :lol: ) at civ im hoping to learn lots) Great story Quintillus, makes me want to play the huge world map. Although at the minute im busy squashing the Baybalonians on the standard size map. Unfortunately they have a 1x1 island left (the Falklands), i have 3 turns left until 2050, and am still 16 turns away from marines so i guess thats lost :( . Oh well. Enjoy your break and congrats again on a great game.

[party] :band: Welcome to CFC! :band: [party]
The 1X1 island thing is slightly similar to this game...

Keep updating, Quintillius!

Welcome to CFC! :band: :dance: [party]

Tasslehoff is sort of right, although in this game there were marines before 2050.

Wow, we should rename the thread:
"Conquest of the World & New Member's Thread"
:lol:

Wow, we should rename the thread:
"Conquest of the World & New Member's Thread"
:lol:

Seems like that would be appropriate. Mossdog, you've kept the tradition going.:goodjob:

five people have had their first post in this thread. Just goes to show how great the story is!:goodjob:

I know its awesome! Read through the whole thing. Cant wait for the next update Quintillus

Welcome to CFC, Mossdog! [party] Hope the weather is better by now.

As to the armies, I am still on that one Medieval Infantry army in Australia. I have the Military Academy in Paris, but haven't trained any others yet. Pyrrhus's army is waiting for a transport for the mainland, but isn't going to be amongst the first troops sent across the seas.

Part Twenty-Eight: Entering the American Front

1924 AD - Our Battleship sinks an Aztec Frigate off Leiria, but is redlined! Who built this armor?

The Portuguese were lucky to survive last turn. But the Indians will not be so lucky as to survive this one.

I warn Gandhi that our troops approach his city.

Very well, then...

It was no contest. India becomes the 8th civilization to be defeated, joining the ranks of Arabia, France, Netherlands, Germany, Carthage, Iroquois, and Egypt. With that, 22 civilizations remain locked in struggle. Korea remains at peace.

With that settled, Greek troops begin moving towards the Persian city of Bengal, in the Gobi desert.

But someone isn't too happy about that.

Now it all makes sense why Sumeria was declaring so many non-alliance wars.

Turning away from troops movements and to diplomacy, we gift Saltpeter to the Maya to help in our mutual struggle against the vile Aztecs.

Speaking of whom...

"The coast is clear," reported the messenger from the lead Cruiser. "We've searched the coast up to the next Aztec city and no enemy ships are in sight."

"Good," replied the admiral of the fleet. He had decided he should stay with the transports lest anything go wrong while he was away. It had been a very long voyage, and his men were restless, but he knew a mistake know would only look worse than a mistake earlier. And he knew that the Aztecs did have ships - not only did intelligence reports say so, but his convoy had seen three Frigates and a Galleon heading west towards Greece earlier on the trip. As the King had personally charged him with ensuring the safe transport of the the troops, and not delaying arrival for any measures unless he be attacked first, he had let these ships escape for the time being.

"Start towards the shore. Have the gunners fix their targets and the scouts watch for any movement on the landing beaches."

But the Aztecs did not seem to suspect the invasion in the least - certainly their shore defenses were entirely absent. It was eerie, but nevertheless the Greeks were glad. Even their artillery was unloaded without any Aztecs coming near. Now the only thing left to do was prepare the attack and wait.

1925 AD - "Incompetent generals!" grumbled the commander at Dacca. "Say they'll send reinforcements and then never do." Yep, I forgot to send reinforcements to Dacca. Oops. One Cavalry kills the Hoplite I had fortified on the Gems, but the Infantry in the city acts like a stone wall and defeats two Cavalry without losing a hitpoint. The crisis is averted.

Persia also attacks Hamburg. They kill one Infantry with two Cavalry.

Rome allies with the Aztecs against America. They also request peace with us. We have plans for them, but offer them peace for a 500 gold.

OK, but don't say we didn't offer you a chance for peace.

1926 AD - Great celebrations break out on the streets of Greek cities within hours of the news arriving. The war was not over, not by a long shot, but a breakthrough had been made. America had made a tremendous stride forward in capturing the Aztec city of Tzintzuntzen!

The Aztec Empire is even more splintered and torn now, likely the reason our recently landed troops were not attacked at all. And the city of Tlacopan - home of J.S. Bach's Cathedral - is now isolated from the rest of the Aztec cities by American cities. Our greatest New World rival is undoubtedly in great danger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom