[XML] Farmers

The Navy Seal

Emperor
This MODCOMP adds a new improvement (Irrigation) and changes Farms. Now instead of yop being able to build farms when you develope Agriculture you are able to Irrigate a plot. After 25 turns the Irragation turns into a farm. The only thing different between the Farm and Irrigation is that Farms have a small chance (1 in a 1,000) of discovering a food resource (Wheat, Rice, and Corn). But you can't just discover Corn, Wheat, or Rice, You have to have Wheat in order to discover Wheat the same goes with Corn, and Rice. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Credits:
The Navy Seal for putting it together, and coming up with some of the Ideas. :bounce:
Zebra 9 For the Python. :high5:
And Civfanatics for the idea. :thumbsup:

Download here

Hmm -- might it be better if the food resources where limited to ones the civilization already has (or maybe include food resources of any civilization one has contact with at a lower chance)...

We don't want corn teleporting from the new world to the old. :)

That's such a good idea I can't believe nobody thought of it before!
Actualy a couple months ago somone posted asking for somthing like this so I dicided to make it.

Hmm -- might it be better if the food resources where limited to ones the civilization already has (or maybe include food resources of any civilization one has contact with at a lower chance)...
Yea, I'm thinking of doing that but it would require python maybe I can get Zebra to help me. :hmm:

That is a really cool mod I like the idea of being able to getting the food bonus. It would be real nice if you could make sure that they already had access to the resource though. As I was reviewing the code I had one question.

Code:
1		<BonusTypeStruct>
2			<BonusType>BONUS_RICE</BonusType>
3			<bBonusMakesValid>1</bBonusMakesValid>
4			<bBonusTrade>1</bBonusTrade>
5			<iDiscoverRand>0</iDiscoverRand>
6			<YieldChanges>
7				<iYieldChange>1</iYieldChange>
8				<iYieldChange>0</iYieldChange>
9				<iYieldChange>1000</iYieldChange>
10			</YieldChanges>
11		</BonusTypeStruct>

Should Line 5 be <iDiscoverRand>1000</iDiscoverRand> and line 9 be <iYieldChange>0</iYieldChange>?

What about give to the farmers the ability to plant some resources, like wheat if your Civ has a farm + wheat on your Civ territory ?

And the ability to buy a resource like rice from China, or Corn from Incan, and then be able to plant it on your Civ territory.
And the same about other resources like sheeps, cows, etc...

Like in reality, a Civ that has some sheeps can take them off with it and put them in another place. (sorry for my no-grammaticaly correct english...)

Like building farms or irrigations, "put sheeps, or plant wheat, etc.." needs the Techs corresponding and cost some turns.
(the graphism could be the same as build farm or build pasture)

It could be balanced, beacause : "plant" or "put" cost (x) number of turns and then you you have to build farm or pasture to be able of using them.

the idea is not to "deascover" unfortunatly wheat if you have one resource of wheat+farm, but to be able to plant wheat willingly or to put sheeps where ever you want to, if you have sheeps + pasture, and like for plants and animals.

Well I was going to do the sheep and horse ect appearing but it's hard because I don't want you to be able to build a pasture wherever and having it randomly pick a spot is hard to do.

I'm building a mod for BtS, and I wanted to incorporate this neat little idea into it. Would you mind?

Being that it is a BtS mod, I might need to alter some of the files. I was hoping to use the CCCP mod, but they don't have a BtS version yet, so I'm stuck at the moment. :mischief:

Oh, I was going to give it a try (updating it for BtS). But if you do that, its even easier for me. :)

I'm still waiting for the CCCP to come out for BtS before I start, because there are a few adjustments I wanted to make that would require some new tags, and I don't want to start and then have to restart all over again with new XML files because of my impatience.

That's a killer idea. Good job.

Antilogic if you want to update it and release it thats fine because I wont be able to do anything with it for a while.

I can try, but it'll be awhile for me as well. I have more than enough work right now to fill the rest of the month...we'll see how it all gets done.

I can share the code needed to make it work in the SDK, I added myself a little while ago. The code is pretty simple and I wrote it to work with any resource that has a health bonus so it's compatible with new resources as I add them. It's also quite possible to do the same with animals without any code changes but you need a base improvement that can be built without requiring the bonus (animal) to be already present. It also checks to make sure the plot is valid for the bonus, for instance if a food bonus only appears on grassland than it will never be 'discovered' on plains or desert+flood plains. And, naturaly it requires the civ to have access to the resource before any of this can happen.

In the game it's a very cool effect. If you have no wheat you'll never get any, but once you find or trade for some it can start popping up all over at your farms. The AI understands this to a degree, it knows that building a farm on a tile without a resource may allow one to be discovered and takes that into consideration when deciding which improvement to build. They don't understand the ramifications of giving corn or wheat to another Civ in trade though.

Top Bottom