PureNES: Years of Excelsior

"Some vices miss what is right because they are deficient, others because they are excessive, in feelings or in actions, while virtue finds and chooses the mean."
-Autarch Camael

Autarch Camael was perhaps one of the greatest Autarchs. Founding the school to teach between Malus and Summum bonum[1]. However The gods saw fit to reward his work with headache after headache. First, he had born unto him, two Twins. Jophiel and Raziel, who would succeed him as Autarch was not clear.

This tied to the fact that Autarch Camael had ruled since his early twenties, had tired him out, and over the years he slipped into senility, eventually slipping completly, his rule being effectivly been replaced with an regency council of advisors. And his last command was to give his Sons command of certain sectors of the Kingdom, to best determine who would succeed him. Jophiel deceided to Command an army and govern the newly aquired territories of Mainyu province. Whilst Raziel took command of the armies and a province to the west.

It was however the School of Malus which taught Raziel, and the School of Summum bonum which taught Jophiel. The regency council splitting into two camps, each supporting a different twin. And as the twins grew to maturity, the kingdom declined under the deadlock in the regency council.

The Stories that follow, describe the accomplishments of each twin, and the eventual victor of this struggle.

[1] Malus: 'Evil' is the most usefull to create and maintain order.
Summum bonum: 'Good' is the most usefull to create and maintain order.

"And when he has brought forth and reared this perfect virtue, he shall be called the friend of god, and if ever it is given to man to put on immortality, it shall be given to him,"-Autarch Camael

It could be argued that Jophiel gained an advantage in dealing with the newly aquired territories, plunging him as it did into a new diplomatic situation, two nations, Daria and Habyte lie nearby. Both wishing to expand into the former realms Mainyu. But the Harugen had got their first, and now a balance had to be struck, or face war.

And So Jophiel immediatly did the most unexpected thing, he gathered an army, and marched on the last Maunyu city, half way on his march to the city, he sent messengers asking for a representative from both Daria and Habyte to meet him.

The City fell, a short and brutal affair, Harungen Soldiers efficiently destroying resistance. And the representatives arrived at the City. Darias representative arrived first, and Jophiel treated him as an equal, he himself knowing that Daria was a small state with little chance of competiting with the Hargungens Armies. The friendship cost him nothing, and he gained a slight advantage from it. The Habyte Representative arrived, and when told of the extent of the domains of Daria lost what little intrest he had in the Darian representative, and immediatly demanded of Jophiel that his army abandon this city, declaring airs of the wealth and strength of the Habyte.

Jophiel suprsingly agreed. Declaring that he did not want to threaten war with the Habyte, and that stability was needed to secure the riverine trade, and skillfully worded his proposal[1].

The City would become an independent buffer state, to ward of any possibility of war on the river. The Habyte Representative reluctantly agreed, demanding certain concessions, especially with regards to some of the laws, the Darian representative managed to get some input into trade concessions along the river, which was agreed upon by all, although the Habyte representaive wondered, fairly loudly, what possible trade such a swampy state could provide Habyte with. [2]

And such a vassal state was set up, currently under the domination of the Harungen, borrowing some laws from the Habyte. And Jophiel managed to come out of this by making a good impression on the Darian representative, as the Darian wondered who their best potential neighbour could be, Harungen, or Habyte.

[1] I'm not wordy enough [pun not intended]
[2] I suppose I might be taking some liberties, but that my impression of the Habyte, especially with the silly amount of laws they have.

From the delicate strands,
between minds we weave our mesh:
a blanket to warm the soul.

-Autarch Camael

Jophiel carried on with his tasks, afterward however, he noted that the people of Mainyu worshipped a Death God. And the resulting philosophy had become...pessimistic at best. And Thus Jophiel encouraged the Path of the Preacher. A Priest who would seek to convert. Subsuming the Mainyu's death god as an aspect of Ynnead.

********​

Preacher of the Path said:
"Your Gods have not abandoned you. Your Death God is a capricious, nihilistic
God. You have only touched the surface of the Ynnead, for he is as destructive as he is creative and his position is of vital imporatance to the Order of this World...."

*******​

The conversion of these peoples would have important consequences later on, as although in the rural hinterlands worship of the old gods lingered, in the cities Ynnead began to take precedence, and the rest of the Pantheon began to follow. However Jophiel and the priesthood began to consider more and more that these followers were under their protection, and relations between Habyte and Harungen, never that good in the first place cooled when the conversion of the vassal kingdom came about, and some of the Death Followers in Habyte revolted. However this came at an uncertain time, as Jophiel had reached maturity and had other concerns....

It will happen, and it will happen in our lifetimes. The Path of Good isn't just the future. The Path of Good is now.

- The Dualis Heresy

Raziel could be considered to have begun with the weaker hand, however in the early years of his Testing, a heresy arose, known as the Dualis Heresy. It was in fact nothing of the sort, espousing that Good and Evil took precedance over Chaos and Order.

Raziel understood what these people were, Servants of the Phoenix, worshippers of Chaos. The Path was set, and it took you whereever you needed to go, the Followers of Dualism not only sought to tear up the axis of the Gods, but also tear up the Path.

Such Heresy must be met with a heavy response. Raziel as a follower of Malus, knew what he had to do, crush them, obliterate the enemy. And as the fires of rebellion blossomed accross the country his army marched, carving a red path of blood through them. Raziel also enslaved the heretics and their families.

And As Jophiel had down, founding a new Path, Raziel Founded the Path of the Engineer, constructions, Ranging from Siege equipment and city walls to the roads that crisscrossed the country. And unto this path of learned peoples he gave his slaves. That his legacy, and his peoples gain something out of the Rebellions.

And whatever might be said of Raziel and his more cruel punishments and reprisals, it could not be said that he did not love his peoples. One cannot live life being consistantly evil, nor being consistantly Good. The schools simply dictate that in certain situations, such as rebellion, certain actions are better than others. In their personnel life they can be quite kind.

"In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven."
-Autarch Camael

Raziels other concern however, was correcting some of the worries that his father had Jophiels actions in the former lands of the Mainyu. The expansion had worried some and angered many. Thus Raziel commanded that his soldiers march on the cities of Comar and Hyta on the Harungen river. Comar fell, a decadent peoples, still under the heavy infulence of philosophies of the first Great Kingdom.

When the City surrendered, and Raziel was invited in to partake in the conditions of surrender. The City Eldars first tried to bribe him with earthly pleasures, wine, women, entertainment of gladiators fighting in combat.

Raziel was disgusted, their people under their heel feared their masters, but the use of fear was used for no other purpose than containing the peoples, supressing revolt and sustaining the Eldars lifestyle.

He had them killed all of them. Having breifly considered having them enslaved for the use of the peoples of the City, he discarded that idea, as ultiamtly they could provide no suitable service, their fat pampered bodies would have given up on them.

Hyta was a slightly different matter, situated across the river and holding a fairly larger fleet of Galleys, Raziel's first attempt to cross the river failed and he was pushed back, an embarassing set back but not one that would hold Raziel for long. He esatablished a foot hold on the opposite bank further down river, building a small series of forts and settling some people along this side to secure his hold on it. And from this more fortified position managed to strike at the city of Hyta, and a long siege set in. However Nyta's superiority on the river allowed them to resupply, forcing Raziel to force an assualt on the walls. Whilst costly, Raziel led the attack [1], and ultimatly with the heavier armed and armoured Warriors of the Path forced an opening and cut through the innards of the city.

After this battle he was practically deified by his soldiers, and whilst the city of Nyta burned a messenger managed to reach Raziel that his father the Autarch Camael had [finally] died, and his presence was required.

[1] Obviously not the first wave, maybe the 2nd or 3rd. :p

Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, and iron smell, and a Babel of iron sounds.

-A Duel of Autarchs [1]

Raziel and Jophiel, both great warriors, great thinkers and great statesmen. Thus when the Autarch Camael died, there was no clear successor, the regency council was still effectivly divided on the successor. And as such when Raziel and Jophiel approached the capital they took with them vast armies and rallied their allies to them, and whilst no open battle took place, all accross the Kingdom various skirmishes and minature battles broke out.

The Observance of the Autarchs passing was more sombre than usual. Everyone expected a war, and they eyed the other Nobility, wondering who would die and who would live. The brothers had been seated next to each other, many wondered if either would seek to end the war before it had begun, although such an act in such a Holy place would have dire consequences.

And then, some would have sworn that the two had been muttering to each other, but the moment passed and the ceremony continued. And after it had ended both leaders retreated to their respective camps.

The next day opened, dreach[2]. And the two armies lined up to each other. And then Jophiel broke with a small retinue under a flag and rode to the centre. Dismounted.

Many in Raziels urged him to take advantage of this and let his archers fire upon the group, Raziels response has been enscribed and remembered: "There can be no Order from such an act of Evil". And is generally attributed to allowing the following to take place.

Raziel rode to the centre with his own retinue of men.

*****​

"I feared for a moment you would set your archers upon me, Brother," Jophiel called out to him.
"I saw the void in the eyes of the Phoenix today, I saw flames consuming this Kingdom Jophiel," Raziel replied, a faint smile on his lips "We are agreed on the conditions?"
"By Oath, I could never forget. Let us begin".

And thus, the Brothers drew their swords and began to duel, and the armies watched, uncertain of their lieges wishes. Eventually word spread; they were settling the outcome without resorting to Chaos.

The Clang of Swords was clearly audiable, and then Raziel drew blood, Jophiel stood back his wound dripping blood onto his sword.

"Lead them well mine Autarch"

And he kneeled.

[1] Do we have iron? Its a good quote nonetheless call it embellishment by a later writer.
[2] Scottish word, not sure if all of you know it, certainly wasn't online in a google search dictionary. Dreach basically means overcast dark clouds, looks like its going to rain, but doesn't just hangs there.

Anyway, I've just established a dangerous precedent, one that I hope to have fun with. I must ask myself why I like causing such pain and ruin to my nations :p

OOC: I knew I was committing suicide when I decided to create a proper duality, but still...even the foolish Harungen must understand that they cannot exist without chaos, that everything they have done has been chaotic. They will be made to see this.

OOC: Thats kinda what I'm exploring. in OTL people strive to be 'good' , wether your actions are chaotic or ordered are less important. I'm simply reversing it and having Order as the more important of the two.

You can kind of think of some places where such things in the news that hold true. for instance (weak argument considering all the other variables but hey learn what you can from it). Some people make the argument that removing Saddam from power was the right thing to do because he was causing harm ("evil") to people(s) of iraq.

Now this however has created a very chaotic situation, some might say this is acceptable, but the Harugnen would not, they would hate it. Argument would go thusly

"See Saddam was a very bad person for doing XYZ"
"....so?" {ensuing rant about how the Coalition that invaded are truly the ones at fault for creating instability.

On the flip side. if there had been WMD, that would have probably been fairly destabalising. Of course the Harungen would probably flip out as they havn't found any and the current situation is totally kack. However they WOULD remain and pour in enough resources to fix it. And by fix it; we're talking carrot and stick, or uhmm 'glassing' it. Both would be acceptable.

I'm just dealing with what happens when the current world view fails at the moment. Slightly different from what happens when our world view fails.

that was a bit wordy. And if you want to MAKE me see this, your welcome to try :p My soldiers await.

Strike me down, and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. ;)

The Teaching of Jao spread. The First Teacher's words and actions taught the tribes of the power of battle to reveal the truth in one's self. He taught the warriors of Draklor the simple beauty of battle. He taught them that through battle, the weakness and insecurities of a person are stripped away by the conquest of death to live another day.

Thus, the Path of Jao, of war, found its people. And the people rejoiced in warfare, but never forgot that there would be a time when war and battle did not echo in the fields. There would times when a man found serenity in peace, and then climbed the great mountain to reach the Gods.

But for now, war was a constant part of the Darklor's life. The tribes were united. The Younger's were driven off by the combined advances of the tribes and the Elders. Now the borders of the tribes and the Elders mingled, and thus brought a new age of warfare.

The second Teacher was very old, but before he attempted to join the Gods, he ordered to his predecessor one last command: It is time for our war to touch outside our valley. The war with the Elder will determine who will hold dominance over this region for the rest of time. Go now, and let us prove our worth to the Gods.

So it was, and the armies of the Draklor tribes gathered underneath the banner of the Teachers, and marched for enlightenment in glorious battle. The Elder were prepared, but who knew which way the battle would turn? Only the Gods.

Isus
Ruler / Player: Avien Dynasty /Charles
Government: Tyranny-
Religion: Polytheism, with Harmonistic, Legaltheistic, and Monotheistic minorities
Technology: Early Bronze Age
Culture: Similar to all of Balos, they are an industrious, indepedent, sturdy people; in particular Isusii are quite fond of trade and the sea.
Economy: Moderate, Growing slightly. Based primarily in trade with a small agricultural component.
Military: 5,000 well armed citizen soldiers, 50 excellently trained and armed ships.
Infrastructure: Dense, Well Maintained
History: Always one of the more powerful city states of Balos, the recent vassalization of the greater Balos area by the Elder Kingdom has forced other peoples under the banner of Isus. This has allowed them to become the premier Balosian sea power.

The New Dynasty

From the fields, a lone man saw what will become the Avian dynasty. A Bald eagle drooped a man down into the irigation ditch, He looked down, and saw a crumbled man. He called himself Avien, for all he remembered is of a bird named Avienandi that took him to this t=strane land. He was an industrious worker, and example to all, although most of his money was taken by a useless government. Years later, the Tyarrany Dynasty was overthrown and a Avien Dynasty was replaced. But it wasen't brought on the absoutum rulers by hat but by symithy of the origianal man from the great bald eaglebrought him to this deliverment. The tresury, suprisinly low was spread out no to just the rebels, but also the farmers, Traders, fishers and navymen. The Search of the officials (the king suicided)found more illegal currancy now stored in a great vualt and loaned to merchants-of-honoer to return the money withen 20 years, with more deliverable if the shipment was lost. The New Regime was a Tryanny forced my the insutrious people glad that the hard times are over, but the taxes are scince very low, although in the king's walks he was showered in giftes. He continues a afternoon shift with The original workes to supervise all the pay. He also shifted and evein g shift arround the land. Many people are influenced and trade prospers. While the king planes to rebuild a navy empire made by voulenterr force known only to the greatest Philolgist pospering in the new regime and he himself.[/B]

sorry light fang, i am only 10 you know:rotfl:

Charles. Learn how to spell and use proper English.; And please don't bold your entire story; it's annoying to read.

UPDATE NAO ZORRRRRRR. ;D

Maybe a supplementary story will come today. Not sure.

Hey, he's playing EU 2. You can't rush a genius, after all, and he's getting inspiration.

:p

If he needs inspiration...then a lot of deaths may be on the horizon :scared:

;)

The End of an Era​

It is one of the great failings of humanity that it can not conceive an end to its own consciousness. And this is true for individual humans as well, as the Elders found out upon the death of Didius the Ancient.

Though he greatly expanded the nation and subjugated others, Didius' death prevented him from facing his greatest challenge--the Draklor. Instead, it was left to his ministers and generals to try to salvage the ruins of the empire.

It is another of the great failings of mankind that men can only rarely and briefly be convinced to subjugate their various interests. For the entire period of Didius' reign, the Elders worked together to survive and, indeed, thrive. This could not last. So the nation exploded, and the geopolitical face of the world changed.

That's no fun. I was hoping for a rather epic clash.

That's no fun. I was hoping for a rather epic clash.
Oh, you'll have one, at least for a bit.

But do know that I'm not playing this nation to win. Indeed, it could validly be said that I'm playing to lose, though that's not quite true.

If you want an epic clash, you'll have to do it in FarowNES02--and I have no doubt that you will. If, that is, Farow ever reappears...

Top Bottom