[BtS] Religions

The Navy Seal

Emperor
This XML MOD COMP changes spread rates on religions so this way Christianity most likly will be the leading world religion. It also gives every religion a special unique unit. I've renamed the Jewish missionary to Jewish Settler. The Jewish Settler when it builds a city the city starts Jewish but the Jewish don't have a missionary. Also when you build a city it will have a chance of having the religion that the city has that it was built in.
Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Heres the list of units;
The Jewish Slinger, the Buddhist Warmonk the Islamic Mamluk, the Chistian Knights, the Taoist Canoneer, the Confusian Imperial Spearman, and the Hindu Hypastitist.

Download Here

Credits:
The Navy Seal for the idea and putting it together. :goodjob:
Bhruic for the Settler religion Mod. Me for upgrading and changing it.

I've noticed that neither Civ3 nor Civ4 account for atheism or any unbelief. Maybe once your civ has discovered the technology of liberalism, and implemented the free religion civic, you see it in your religion wizard or advisor, whatever you want to call it, with the 'atheist atom'. Also, you get a narrative by Leonard Nimoy with the quote, "A fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.' The wise man shouts it from the rooftops." (Anonymous source), followed by freethought leaders instead of missionaries, like Baron d'Holbach, David Hume, Edward Gibbon, Joseph McCabe, Richard Dawkins, Penn Jillette...

Personally I think the best option has always been a State Atheism civic. Atheism itself isn't a religion, nor does it replicate religious modes of expression (like nationalism, where national holidays replicate religious ones, iconic leaders).

State Atheism (Low Upkeep)
- No State Religion
- No happiness from religious buildings
- -25% Culture per city
- +15% Science per city

Something like that.

Personally I think the best option has always been a State Atheism civic. Atheism itself isn't a religion, nor does it replicate religious modes of expression (like nationalism, where national holidays replicate religious ones, iconic leaders).

State Atheism (Low Upkeep)
- No State Religion
- No happiness from religious buildings
- -25% Culture per city
- +15% Science per city

Something like that.

Yes it is.....belief=faith=religion this is a thread about religions, not state atheism anyway, so lets keep it on topic please...

Yes it is.....belief=faith=religion this is a thread about religions, not state atheism anyway, so lets keep it on topic please...

Uhm, no, atheism isn't a religion. Is theism a religion? No, it's an extremely basic component of religious belief.

Belief!=faith nor religion. I can believe in the existence of aliens, is that religious? I can have faith in humanity, is that a religion?

I'm offering an alternative because the idea of including atheism as a religion alongside Buddhism and Christianity et al is, in my opinion, unnecessary.

even if athiesm isnt a religion theres nothing wrong with introducing the concept of 0 in our religions 1-7

This XML MOD COMP changes spread rates on religions so this way Christianity most likly will be the leading world religion.

Firaxis was careful to treat all religions fairly and equally. This mod does not treat all religions fairly or equally, as it gives one religion, in this case Christianity, a huge religious influence advantage over all the other religions in the game. Because this one religion has a built-in advantage that spreads it's influence faster than all of the other religions, Christianity now becomes the most desired religion in the game. The result would be a race to see which player can found the best religion in the game first. Every civ player, who failed to found the best religion, would now have a distinct disadvantage. :wallbash: :thumbsdown: :vomit:

When Bmarnz and I discussed the inquisition mod, we made sure that each religion was treated fairly and equally, so that no one religion would have any advantage over all the others. Why? Because we wanted to make sure every player has the same capability no matter what religion they found in the game. :thumbsup:

This mod is nothing more than an exploit that gives an unfair advantage to one player who is lucky enough to obtain the best religion first. In my view, this exploit detracts from the game. :gripe: :run: :badcomp:

Bottom Line is: A religious victory should be earned not obtained by an exploit in the game. :rockon: :salute:

Very Respectfully,

Orion Veteran :cool:

Nope. Just the basic amount that is required to surmount the paranoid idea of the brain-in-the-jar, but beyond that - none at all.

Now you're being overly moderate :crazyeye:
Atheism doesn't even require real faith - more of a trial-and-error type of fatalism.

I guess...according to practicing faith yes. But according to the definition of faith, that is a set of beliefs revolving around the idea that there is no God, that consitutes as a faith according to the dictionary diffinition of the word.

Having trouble merging this with another mod (Varietas Delectat). When I try the python separately, it works fine. The problem is that whenever I add the XML changes, the mod won't load. Any suggestions?

But is that still faith? The same kind of faith that applies when someone goes about 'Believing in God'?
I doubt it.

Firaxis was careful to treat all religions fairly and equally. This mod does not treat all religions fairly or equally

I always thought that firaxis way was not fair because hinduism and buddism always become dominant. I think the later religions should have greater spread rates, to offset the older religion's head start, that way they all get an equal opportunity. I also like this mod's idea of settlers spreading certain religions instead of missionaries - it adds a certain asymmetry to the gameplay. If each of the religions spread in a different but fair way, it would make the game much more interesting.

I always thought that firaxis way was not fair because hinduism and buddism always become dominant. I think the later religions should have greater spread rates, to offset the older religion's head start, that way they all get an equal opportunity. I also like this mod's idea of settlers spreading certain religions instead of missionaries - it adds a certain asymmetry to the gameplay. If each of the religions spread in a different but fair way, it would make the game much more interesting.
In reality, the later religions, Christianity and Islam, used bloodshed and things like the Inquisition to make up for their late start.

Top Bottom