Conquest of the World

You're right, I forgot a World Map. That might be because I played this section and the next together, so I didn't think of including one here after I split it up. If there's none at the end of the next one, I'll load it up and get a map.

Scandinavia is above Vietnam. The Byzantines have been doing a good job roughing them up, but as I've just been getting momentum westwards I'll leave them away for awhile.

Fortunately TOWs and Mech Inf are still aways off. Then our other MIs (Medieval Infantries) will be really useless.

Gyahh!!!!

MUST... KNOW... WHAT... HAPPENS!!!!!!

Gyahh!!!!

I think we will have to wait.

Quintillus' schooling is more important than a game update.

Not more fun; just more important. :D

(I thought for a moment than Quintillus and my son might be going to the same school, both are on EST, but the starting day of classes differed. Quintillus on Monday; my son on Tuesday.)

1941 AD - The story picks up after many great victories for Greece in 1940. Currently it is in the other nations' turn.

The remaining Incan Frigate near the Greek homeland attacks and loses to one of our Caravels.

And another Incan fleet sailing home to Incaland encounters one of our Cruisers. How unfortunate for them.

The Aztecs, meanwhile, show off a bit of their newfangled naval power.

But they were forgetting something (other than making sure they hit their targets):

My mutual-protection pact with America!!! :D

America not only declares war on the Aztecs, but makes peace with England. I don't care too much, though I wish they'd done it before England triggered a war with me.

The Zulu come to us with a request for an alliance this turn. They aren't the most powerful or influential country on earth - in fact, they have the lowest score of any surviving nation - but this deal is worth considering:

In the end, I agree to it.

Only the Portuguese are less powerful than the Zulu. And their island would be a nice addition to Greece, so we figure why not make some friends?

The Babylonians, meanwhile, lost a city on the western coast of Africa, in present-day Mauritania. It couldn't have been too valuable, though, so it's not a great loss.

1942 AD - The Russians are going to get owned in Vladivostok this turn. The only question is how badly.

Our bombers destroy every last bit of their garrison, and our Marines are able to walk into the city unopposed. The city is ours. We send an Archer and a Medieval Infantry to garrison the city, as the Marines will leave for Tasmania next turn.

On the naval front, we quickly finish off the Galleon in the newest Incan convoy on its way back to Incaland:

One of our Batteships then shows off Greek power with an resounding victory over a Persian Frigate near the Persian city of Thebes.

The next target is the Celtic city of Augustodurum, on the Mediterranean opposite the Sinai Peninsula.

Our Bombers don't damage the defenses of the city very much, but the Artillery do a number on the garrison. Then it just takes two Marine charges, and the city is ours!

Infantry quickly reinforce the newly captured city, and not long afterwards our Tank Armies of Ajax and Ulysess storm through the desert, towards the largest city in the world, Camulodunum. We seriously consider attacking even though we do not yet have any air or artillery support.

I also consider investigating the city, but as it's a size 32 city that costs an absolutely ridiculous amount - 332 gold. That'd leave us hardly any extra room for finishing Radio while still having the 1000 gold necessary for 50 GPT interest. But the real question is, how many defenders do the Celts have? So far they've had two in each city. If that is the case here, we have a very good shot at taking the city. Our advisors estimate the odds of our armies winning at 91% - still not that great for an army, though. But of course, a victory here would be a great blow to the Celtic Empire! Such a tough decision!

In the end we decide to go for it. Ajax's army leads the charge.

The Celts bombard Ajax with Artillery, and do a decent job of fighting, but Ajax holds steady and in the end wins a hard-fought victory with seven hitpoints left of the original twelve, and also earning a promotion of another Tank in the army to Elite. Then it's Ulysess's turn.

Ulysess destroys the Celtic defenders, losing only one hitpoint. Unfortunately, the Celts still have more defenders. And our only other unit that can attack Camulodunum this turn is an Elite Cavalry, whom are adivsors say has less than a 6% chance of winning against the Celtic machine guns. So we won't press our luck with that.

But there are still battles to be fought in the Middle Eastern deserts. Three Celtic Infantry are still stationed outside Augustodurum, one of which was injured by the Trebuchet we captured from the Celts.

Medieval weapons are great!

The Marines visible in the above screenshot attack the Infantry, all our tanks either being on the gates of Camulodunum or in need of repairs from previous battles. We lose two brigades, but the Celts lose three and our troops are victorious.

But the city we really hunger for is Tenochtitlan. Our Infantry are nearby, and the Ottomans are getting close.

We want to attack the city now, to at last make the Aztecs truly pay for their deal-breaking. But we know we that our numbers are limited, and our strength not overwhelming. Thus, we call on our spies.

If only it weren't so...the reality is that attacking now would be suicide. We have no choice but to wait for reinforcements. So the Aztec capital will stand a little while longer.

Is there more?

Is there at least a World Map?

Only medieval units can :spear:!

And ancient ones ;).

I just was looking through my files, and realized I forgot three pictures :crazyeye:. So I've since added them in, with relevant text where that was missing. The new pictures are the naval combat in 1942, with added text (location: after taking of Vladivostok), and a picture of Ajax battling for Camulodunum.

And here's the 1942 World Map:

And that is, unfortunately, all of the story thus far. Right now it's looking like it could well be until December before I get a chance to play again - because of technological difficulties first and foremost, though classes are keeping me quite busy as well. So, until further notice, the Greeks will be waiting at the gates of Tenochtitlan in 1942 A.D.

:( Tell us when/if your techinical difficluties are fixed, okay? Then maybe we can get at least one udpate before December :rolleyes: (You'll manage to find SOME spare time somewhere ;)).

Yeah, I'll post an update if I get the technical problems fixed, but it's rather unlikely that I can do that without spending any money. So it might be awhile.

The story isn't ending. It will be finished eventually. But I thought it was a good idea to mention that I won't be playing for awhile in order to avoid the deluge of spam that tends to occur when play suddenly stops for no apparant reason.

So let's avoid the "When is the next post?" spam that tends to get threads locked, and bumping weeks or months after the feedback on the most recent section ends (and before the next is posted). Feel free, however, to discuss the recent (or not so recent) posts, so long as the conversation stays on topic.

---------------------

@choxorn: Yes, the Inca did capture an island on Hawaii from Spain. I believe that was during Part 32 - the Incan fleet we met there had dropped off troops there. I think I wrote something like, "The Incan fleet was destroyed, but it had done its job."

Feel free to edit the post, or add another if relevant, but know you're not alone when you're thinking,

choxorn said:
Gyahh!!!!

:)

@CommandoBob: Now that I think of it it wasn't such a great idea. Third paragraph revised to be more to the point: keep the conversation on topic so the story doesn't have the unfortunate fate that OMTT did for quite some time.

I agree, schooling is more important than Civ. Hence why the updates have been slow even since I got the Internet working. And since I'm back in classes now (no Labor Day off here!), they'd probably have slowed down again even I had more to post.

@Dezzilisk: Welcome! I'm glad there's still more people starting out on the story, I know the length can get daunting after awhile.

Hey, I've just noticed something on the world map- one of the Hawaiian islands has an Inca city on it! Did they capture it from Spain?

No, this is not my feedback post. :mischief:

To that end, does one remaining post per person sound reasonable until the next update? That ought to give everyone a chance for feedback without having a non-updated thread at the top of the list for months. I'll start by editing this post in response to everyone else's responses on the latest section(s).
I'm not sure what you are asking for. :confused:

This is an awesome story and im glad i found it, even if i came a bit late :D

Great story thus far!
You can tell the Aztecs have been doomed for a while now, and it looks like
the next update may see them out of the game. (In the sense of power and score.)

Maybe I forgot already, but who are you going after when the Celts are out?

Welcome to CFC, Demi Neophyte! I think you're the 6th one to have their first post in this thread.

And yeah, the Aztecs are screwed. Just looking at that screenie, they don't have Iron, Horses, or Rubber right now!

Oh, and BTW Quintillus...

Quintillus said:
That'd leave us hardly any extra room for finishing Radio while still having the 1000 gold necessary for 50 GPT interest.

I thought Radio was taken out in the 1.20 Patch... :confused:

Welcome to CFC, Demi Neophyte! [party]

The Aztecs are in trouble. They will survive a bit longer, but yes, they will have difficulty remaining a veritable world power much longer. And after that, even with America overtaking them, there won't be a true world power in the New World - the Americans having been much behind the Aztecs to start with and suffering greatly in the war.

The Persians and Koreans will remain world powers for awhile yet, and the Celts, Byzantines, and even Spanish have decent power (though the Spanish are overly reliant on foreign resources). The Hittites, Ottomans, and Americans all have a chance to be the dominant powers of their region, but at this point they all trail the Old World powers by a good margin. And Greece is also a world power.

After the Celts I will (most likely, of course) either go after the Persian mainland, or the Roman and Persian territories in Africa. The Russians and Portuguese also will most likely be taken out soon, possibly before the Celts are.

The Aztecs are indeed lacking rubber. But that's a very recent development, so at this point there remains great numbers of Aztec Infantry to fight.

choxorn said:
I thought Radio was taken out in the 1.20 Patch... :confused:

You're right. I was wondering if anyone would notice that. But this scenario was based on the CivVanilla map, and I created the Earth_31_Civ.biq file before I downloaded the patch. So the .biq file had the Radio advance even after I got the patch - essentially it is a scenario that includes Radio.

@choxorn: Yes, the Inca did capture an island on Hawaii from Spain. I believe that was during Part 32 - the Incan fleet we met there had dropped off troops there. I think I wrote something like, "The Incan fleet was destroyed, but it had done its job."

You said that in Part 31: The Tank Age, but judging from previous world maps, Volladolid was captured some time between 1926 and 1934.

I rarely read a story for more than a week, but yours is great, and is my #1 S&T. :goodjob:

I hope the next update won't be that long away. I'll be waiting, not so patiently. ;)

Top Bottom