News: GOTM 23 Pre-Game Discussion

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator

GOTM 23: Germany

We drop back to noble, and play a differnet type of map. I'm not normally a fan of these types of maps, but its good to mix it up occasionally.

This game MUST be played in patch version 1.74. We will NOT accept any games played under any other patch versions, and you can't play it in warlords!

Further, it MUST be played using HOF mod version 1.74.001.
Mac players can download their version of the 1.61.011 mod from this thread.

Game settings:
Civilization: Germany (Leader: Frederick; Traits: Philosophical, Creative)
Rivals: 6
Difficulty: Noble
Map: Ring
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Arid
Water level: Medium
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Epic
Options: None.
Victory Conditions: all enabled

Frederick:
Frederick is Philosophical and Creative; starting with hunting and mining. Philosophical allows +100% Great Person birth rate, as well as double production speed of universities. Creative allows +2 culture per city, as well as double production speed of theatres and colosseums.

Unique unit: Panzer
The Panzer replaces the standard tank. The stats are identical (str = 28, move = 2, cost - 270), however the panzer gets +50% strength vs armored units.

The starting screenshot is here (click for a bigger version!)

Adventurer Class bonuses:
  1. Start with agriculture

Challenger Class Equalisers:
  1. Start with no scout
  2. Start with no techs.
  3. the three plots of forest immediately next to the settler are replaced with jungle (spices remain).

I would look forward to any game which is quite different :please: than GOTM22, which I really didn't enjoy being Always War :sad: . The ONLY way AW is any useful is when it is a Duel map with only one opponent - you know you are going to fight him, so there's nothing to gain from diplomacy, tech, etc... It's just kill, kill, kill. :ar15:

I'm sure it's time for some more fun and games with GOTM and WOTM's, and look forward to the BtSOTMS after the 3.13 patch is released next week and ALLLLLL those changes are introduced. :drool:

I commend the GOTM staff for keeping the interest up in CIV4 and Warlords with these games, as without them, I would admit, I would have put them in the bottom drawer now that BtS is out, and wouldn't have played them again. :bowdown: I don't know how someone can go back and play Civ3 GOTM's with this CIV4 franchise of games out.... ...it's just too antiquated and not nearly as fun! Sorry Civ3 fans... :(

Yes, some details, or at least hints, today would be great. I plan to cure a hangover most of the day tomorrow anyway so that is perfect half hearted test game playing time I don´t want to waste :D.

O.K. guys and gals... Here is a test game to try your starting position luck out on.

Should be an EASY one... :yup:

Remember a "Ring" map is all the continent is in a ring (more like a box) surrounding water in the middle, with iced islands in the center.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Attachments

• Frederick GOTM23 BC-4000.Civ4SavedGame
    14.3 KB · Views: 179

Challenger Class Equalisers:
  1. Start with no warrior
  2. Start with no techs.
  3. the three plots of forest immediately next to the settler are replaced with jungle (spices remain).

Not that I want to try Challenger Class, but on the screenshot it looks like a Scout, not a Warrior to me.

Adventurer Class bonuses:

1. Adventurer:
  2. Start with agriculture

Is there supposed to be 2 adventurer class bonuses or is there only the Agriculture bonus for adventurer?

Move the settler one west (left) and build the city there.

I'm assuming there won't be any bronze or iron ANYWHERE nearby... so I'll concentrate on something else to attack quickly, and try to sprint for a conquest.

Move the settler one west (left) and build the city there.
Agreed, unless the scout doesn't reveals something E.
This way you don't lost any hill, and the irrigation can be "transmitted" to the wheat after CS.

I definitely like this one, must give it a try.

To be honest i did a shot also in 22, but was in a horrible situation after some 30 mins. of play, and gave up.

Recent Gotms have been 'goody huts off'. Is that the case this time?

I think what Ainwood does is remove any goody huts near the start position so that no one gets an initial advantage of popping a key tech. I believe goody huts are kept further away, and usually found by an AI first.

I think we send the scout 1W - 1N (decide second move after first 1W if 1N is best) to see what the North blue circle has to offer, and send the settler 2 W to see what the West blue circle has to offer. The current starting position looks like it has 6 or 7 unworkable tiles. by moving 2W it looks like that may come down depending on fog, plus you get to keep all currently visable resources in the fat cross. research BW - AH - Wheel, build worker, warrior, warrior, settler. Steal second worker. Settle near metal and grab some land by the sharp edge of a few axes. We will see if the reality follows the plan.

I'm leaning towards settle in place for the extra hammer. Build worker while researching BW. Then chop a settler while researching AH. Settle next to horses, research The Wheel and then kill them all!

I'm leaning towards settle in place for the extra hammer. Build worker while researching BW. Then chop a settler while researching AH. Settle next to horses, research The Wheel and then kill them all!
As jesusin would say: "Don't make war, do love."

Your capital will be a tad :hammers:-poor if you settle on the and chop your forests, won't it?

If I learned one thing in the GOTMs, it's always to settle in place.... :p

I think one west is a much better choice in this game. Settling in place will give you one desert, one grassland and 3 ocean which could be replaced by a desert hill, two grasslands, forested grassland and a fifth tile to be named later (looks like desert). blubmuz pointed out the irrigation benefit of one west as well. Even if there is metal on the desert or grassland tiles, 1 west is probably better. I don't plan on an early military victory so I'll sacrifice the early production for a better long term site.

1 east to the coast is another choice if the scout finds seafood off the coast. It costs a turn and sacrifices the irrigation of the wheat so it would have to be a seafood bonanza to justify moving that direction. It will be hard to find high food locations for a philosophical leader so it might be worth moving for a couple of seafood resources.

Oooh! Nasty terrain. If most of the land has as much desert as the starting screenshot, it'll be very hard to go for an early spacerace, which I'd like to do.

I'll prob move the scout SE to see what's there, then assuming there's nothing brilliant there, move the settler 2W to see the view from the hill. Since this is noble I'll feel comfortable taking a turn or four to look around before settling.

As jesusin would say: "Don't make war, do love."

Your capital will be a tad :hammers:-poor if you settle on the and chop your forests, won't it?

I thought it was: "do love war"...

Settling in place and working a mined desert hill is the same as settling 1W and working a mined plains hill, so I wont loose any production from settling in place. The forested tiles needs only to be worked at size 6, but as soon as I reach 6 I will whip. So I don't need the forest tiles either (may as well farm the silk).

The capital will not contribute that much to the war campaign anyway, since I plan to whip and chop all cities I capture. Time is the only important factor...

Top Bottom