Sioux (Lakota) spearman

bernie14

Filter Manipulator
this is another of my native americans, not competely happy with the ponytails (they are stiff).....i tried to "pin" them to the chest in blender, but didn't work :undecide: :wallbash: anyways, uses SPEARMAN animations

DOWNLOAD

unique buffalo headdresses will be back in fashion with other units, knight and pikemen definitive, crossbow, perhaps...(i'm sort of :cringe: at the thought of putting a crossbow on a sioux unit, then again, i put a medieval german on an elephant :crazyeye:) comments/critiques always welcome.

Another incredible unit! Really good, and I love the attention to detail. I'm looking forward more and more to the rest of them now :D

(i'm sort of at the thought of putting a crossbow on a sioux unit, then again, i put a medieval german on an elephant )
I think it's fair enough - after all it's alternative history, and if the Sioux had developed that sort of technology, there's no doubt they would have used it.

Which brings me to another question - are you making these units represent a particular tribal group (like Sioux/Lakota) or diversifying over various different tribes? Or just whatever looks cool? (I recommend the latter :D)

Anyway, awesome stuff!

Looks great bernie. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Great, biding my time for the others. As to Crossbowman and Elephant, I'd aim for a complete set (chariot and all) and history be damned, just because native americans never had these technologies doesn't men we should be missing out on cool units ;)

It looks great bernie! :goodjob: I for one look forward to seeing the Lakota armed with crossbows. As long as your making units that look as good as this, I would gladly disregard history. :)

Guess I have to assemble a native ethnic unitset once my African one is done. :goodjob:

thanks everyone! HISTORY BE DAMNED!!! :D , i'm inspired...ok, maybe some scale mail (still :cringe: at sioux with chain or plate :p )

@Polycrates...the two so far are pretty much sioux, but how bout a mohawk cross or longbowman? always suggestions/pics are ALWAYS welcome

@sepamu92...he DOES work with impi animations, BUT u got to get rid of the loose spear in nif viewer and (the part i don't know how to change :sad: ) the spear in hand is reversed in fortify and attack animations...oh the shield also needs minor readjustment in nifviewer

As someone with Native American heritage (er, doesn't every American claim it though? lol)

I think it's great that the First Nations are represented. In fact, it would be FAR easier to represent the Native Americans as nations anyway. To keep the modeling down.

Some that are readily identifiable by dress.

1. The Wabanaki Confederacy: Fought with 2 extensively

2. The Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy. Or Six Nations: Includes the Kanienkehaka (or "Mohawks", but this is what their Algonkian enemies called them meaning "Man-eaters")

3. The Wendat (Known as Huron, but this can be seen as a derogatory term as it has a European origin roughly meaning "Bristly Savage")The Wyandot are the same people.

4. The Anishinabe (Chippewa, Ojibwa) Typical dress was the headband, upright feather and braids (Your Archetypical "Indian") though some adopted "Mohawk" style and as they moved west, adopted the large feathered head-dresses of the Sioux on occasion.

5. The Aniyunwiya ( or Cherokee, this is an acceptable name, although it is Tsalagi in their own language.)

6. The Oceti Sakowin ("Seven council fires" or The Great Sioux nation) Nakota, Lakota and Dakota are considered acceptable to the peoples within this nation, but they are distinct. Here you find those wonderful large feathered headdress.

...And no, the "Mohicans" didn't die out. The Europeans lumped several tribes together Namely the "Mahicans and the Mohegans". Then J.F.C.'s book came out and they were forever the Mohicans due to some really bad European transliteration. The peoples written about (vaguely) still exist, though now, most live in Wisconsin.

There are many other great nations, but I thought I'd name a few anyway. I know more about the east, great lakes and northern plains. The southern plains and western tribes (and nations) are less familiar to me. However, they are some very interesting peoples.

I might be able to scrounge up some pics (drawings) of the dress common to the peoples I've listed, but most of this is off the top of my head.

One note to historical accuracy if anyone cares. The Native Americans did not have access to Horses until the arrival of the Europeans. Most large animals had been driven to extinction probably by early hunters (debatable). The Mammoths, Camels etc... (yes camels... in fact, camels originated in North America.) So having horses is very far-fetched before contact with people who already have them.

With this in mind, I believe some clever person has developed an addition that allows corn to be had as a resource as long as contact has been made with civ that has ready access. Something about Farmers... I think. A truly novel approach to the game. I think this could be made true for animals as well, therefore allowing Native Americans to have Horses once they are in contact with Civs that have them.

Some info and an idea, I hope someone finds it useful.

:thanx: i'll be coming back to this often....already googled some nice stuff :goodjob:

@Polycrates...the two so far are pretty much sioux, but how bout a mohawk cross or longbowman? always suggestions/pics are ALWAYS welcome
Sounds cool! My knowledge of native american war dress is pretty much limited to vague memories of Dances With Wolves and umm...Pathfinder (for the love of god, do not watch this movie ever), so I won't be making any useful suggestions, I'm afraid :p

@sepamu92...he DOES work with impi animations, BUT u got to get rid of the loose spear in nif viewer and (the part i don't know how to change :sad: ) the spear in hand is reversed in fortify and attack animations...oh the shield also needs minor readjustment in nifviewer

I managed to get one of my own units (that had used spearman animations) using impi animations correctly (with nifskope), but I tried doing the same to yours and it wouldn't open in nifskope, and I couldn't get it working correctly using nifviewer, which is weird. All I did was attach the impi spear node to BIP R Hand and put the spear's niTriShape into that node (and hid the niTriShape of the existing spear). I also put the separate impi spear node (the spear that hangs outside his right hand) into MDNonAccum and did the same thing (though I'm not sure how necessary it is - possibly just used when the spear falls when they die).

You know, I am a stickler for historical accuracy mainly because anything else usually belittles the actual people represented.

Here it's different though, I mean, what "if" the Native Americans discovered advanced metal working? What "if" Native Americans had advanced metallurgically inclined societies. What a shock the Europeans would have discovered had they gotten across the Atlantic first!! ...and who's to say they would have beaten the Native Americans to the punch?! All this may have been possible if the Nations could have developed a more cohesive governmental system. My theory is, that A kind of "feudalism" may have existed had the nations survived long enough and prospered.

When building civs anything is possible, but it would be NICE if the flavor of the real people would be kept alive.

The Romans are a good example. Though I cringe at all Romans wearing the Lorica Segmentata all the way through to WWI lol. Most Legionaires were NOT equiped this way, it was far too expensive. Even so, the Lorica Hamata (Mail) and Lorica Squamata (Scale) were far more common in all eras of the Roman state. Except perhaps very early on when they took after the Greeks in manner and dress to some extent.

In the modern era Heck, look at a modern American soldier. At first glance he would appear as the Wehrmacht might have had the Third Reich still existed as a state... umm, no political commentary there. Who's to say the Romans, adopting the body armor of the modern era, chose to represent the Lorica Segmentata in Kevlar? So many unknowns. Fascinating though.

With all this in mind, I think it would be fascinating to see Native American units as they would have developed in an industrial society. They probably would have looked much like the American colonials. As they adopted many aspects of Native dress for comforts sake and utility. Barring of course the religious aspect of warpaint and tattooing common amongst many tribes.

Much would be toned down of course as the eras progressed. I think there is a British Unit that STILL has a little bow attached to the back of their collars to indicate that they were the LAST unit to wear the pony-tail common to troops in the 18th century. So a feather or two, or other such identifiers would be common place amongst the Native troops in the later eras.

Native American troops in the modern era would take well to face paint, if only in black, green and brown. Dress units may carry over some of the ancient ways, but utility rules the day in combat.

Random thoughts and Ideas.

I managed to get one of my own units (that had used spearman animations) using impi animations correctly (with nifskope), but I tried doing the same to yours and it wouldn't open in nifskope, and I couldn't get it working correctly using nifviewer, which is weird. All I did was attach the impi spear node to BIP R Hand and put the spear's niTriShape into that node (and hid the niTriShape of the existing spear). I also put the separate impi spear node (the spear that hangs outside his right hand) into MDNonAccum and did the same thing (though I'm not sure how necessary it is - possibly just used when the spear falls when they die).

You don't need to add any new nodes at all, just rename the old ones to match the corresponding Impi ones. If it has the right name and is in the right node, it should animate properly.

bernie14, is it possible to add rifles to some of these units and/or put them on horses? You are making some awesome Sioux units, and I really, really want to use them all in my mod, but there aren't a huge number of uses for Sioux units on foot with spears and clubs. (unless I just want them all to be slaughtered by the US Cavalry).

bernie14, is it possible to add rifles to some of these units and/or put them on horses? You are making some awesome Sioux units, and I really, really want to use them all in my mod, but there aren't a huge number of uses for Sioux units on foot with spears and clubs. (unless I just want them all to be slaughtered by the US Cavalry).
You can try these:
Musket:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=249798

Musket:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=248769

Cuirassier:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=249002

Cavalry:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=212645

Top Bottom