Conquest of the World

If everyone is confused, Quint, look at the names of the Western Mongolian cities. If any of them were captured from China, they'll have Chinese names.

If you're not sure whether the city names are Chinese or Mongolian, look in the editor, or post a pic of the area so that someone else can look at the editor and tell you.

Just look at the earlier world maps- one of those Mongolian cities in the Northwest was once Chinese, but no more appear to have been.

The Mongols have two Chinese cities: Xinjian, bordering a Persian and Byzantine town in the northwest part of their territory, and Hangchow, south of the English city of Canterbury that juts into the northern part of Mongolian territory. Chendgu and Nanking are the current Chinese towns on the China-Mongolia border. Tsingtao is China's southernmost town, and Bejing is its westernmost. Shanghai and Canton are in the center part of China, Canton being to the north and west of Shanghai, which itself is nearly directly east of Beijing.

Hope that clears up the Chinese city situation. Information is garnered from the World Map post and the current status of the game.

I guess Hangchow must have been captured in a war they had before you met either of them, because I don't see it as a Chinese city in any previous world map.

It makes things considerably more clear, with the exception of Hangchow (I can guess which city it is, but I'm not sure).

1957 AD - The first priority of this war is making sure Theodorea is closer to myself than to King Kon of Korea.

The Byzantines were gracious the last time we talked, but are now only polite. We still have alliances with them against the Celts, Persians, and Aztecs with them, though all could be canceled by either side at any time. The same goes for an embargo against the Aztecs. We offer Theodora the deal we really seek right away.

Ouch. For the other civilizations we've dealed with at least! I'm guessing Theodora is referring particularly to the Americans as barbarians given the IBT's events. We ask what is necessary for a deal.

We think that is a perfectly fair deal. We can afford to give the Byzantines a luxury for free, especially if that ties them to us rather than our main rival. So we agree to the deal, and throw in some chocolate for good measure. Theodora is now gracious towards us, and we are feeling much more confident about our security. Deciding it's worth asking about, we inquire about a mutual protection pact. Theodora replies that it is, regrettably, unfeasible. I can't disagree that it is for the Byzantines. She does consider trading for Refining feasible, however.

I agree to the deal to further our relations - and boost our treasury, which had been dangerously near the 1000 gold after which my interest revenue starts falling. We then give the Byzantines a bit more incentive to think twice before changing sides.

And figuring it can't hurt, we renew the alliances against the Persians and Aztecs - the Celts will be destroyed in a couple turns, so it's not worth renewing that part, as doing so would just cause the deal to be canceled in a couple turns.

Oops, they wanted the Celtic part to be included. But I'm not too upset about Theodora's refusal to accept that offer as it is. Who wouldn't want to go to the chariot races with Theodora?

In the end a bit of gold wins this deal for us, and our ties with the Byzantines are as strong as we could hope for.

With our alliances now secure, we return to the front. Lugdunum is in a bit of danger this turn - and that's probably an understatement. The only thing I can think of that would save it is it having more troops than I can defeat - which is a distinct possibility.

Our sixteen artillery are successful enough to take all the Infantry in the city down to no more than 3/4 health. Bombers then follow up the shelling.

After the bombing, no Infantry has more than two hitpoints, and two are no more after the bombing. Ajax leads the ground offensive.

He quickly kills an Infantry and two Riflemen, and another tank kills a redlined conscript Infantry. Theodoros Kolokotronis joins the front and kills another Infantry. Leonidas is the only possible method of attack now. Deciding to chance it, we send him in against the fortified Infantry defending the Metropolis.

And he only loses one hitpoint! Ajax just got :spear:'ed in terms of efficiency in battle - he lost 6 hitpoints over an Infantry and two rifles. But that's what happens when your competition is as elite a Hoplite group as that of Leonidas.

All of our new Tanks, and several of our old ones, go towards Lugdunum to ensure it will fall next turn. Other than that we just do a bit of mop up work in the Gobi, Veitnam, and Africa.

The Aztec front is nearly ready to advance, with two tanks already having been airlifted there and another coming this turn. A 1958 advance northwards is expected.

1957 IBT -

Well, that's OK. We didn't renew that alliance - and don't need help there, anyways.

This could be bad for China. I'll leave it at that.

The Spanish move around a few Cavalry, but only take out one Infantry. They are just a nuisance so far.

The Celts, on the other hand, try to pull a fast one, bombarding Verlamium with an Ironclad and then attacking it, redlining its defender before their Cavalry falls.

But acting like typical AIs, rather than finishing their attack, they switch to attacking Babylonian Musketmen in the mountains - and we all know how that goes.

The Inca also decide to try to pull a fast one, landing some troops near Sparta. They aren't a huge concern, though - a draft or two should be more than enough to defeat them.

1958 AD - The Celts rushed troops in Lugdunum last turn, as it is down to size 8. Well, that won't make us reconsider attacking it - quite the opposite!

The 1956 destruction of Lugdunum's barracks means surviving veterans have only recovered to 3 hitpoints, and the new rushed Rifleman has only three. Which makes it all the easier for our Artillery to redline all the troops, and therafter reduce the city's populaton from 8 to 4 and destroy the marketplace and temple. Our Bombers follow that up by destroying all the city's defenders less Cavalry, reducing its size to 2, and turning its library and bank into piles of rubble. Leonidas then leads the charge to take the greatly weakened city.

Leonidas easily wins, and greatest city in the world - well, at least before all our shelling and bombing - is ours. Hattusas now holds that revered title. P'yongyang has the good fortune of joining the Top 5 list - and we have the good fortune of now controlling the Sistine Chapel and having the world's happiest population :D! We also get the Great Wall, Shakespeare's Theatre, and Universal Suffrage, which is rather hard to implement in an absolute monarchy such as ours. Maybe we have it on the city level?

Theodoros Kolokotronis and Ajax continue on the the Celtic last city of Agedincum. The rest of our tanks in the area head south, to conquer Persian Africa. Our new tanks brush up their skills against some unfortunate Spanish troops in our territory and some slightly less unfortunate Korean ones, who nevertheless can only force retreats from our tanks.

Across the seas, the Aztec city of Texcoco is looking rather doomed.

After all our bombardment, it has three redlined Infantry. One of our tanks take out two, and the third destroys the last, and the city is ours. We are now up to the Rio Grande River in the New World, and with tanks arriving every turn from Australia, our progress is sure to onlly increase.

Spain also feels the bite of the Greek Navy this turn, off the west coast of North America of all places.

Our Battleship hardly receives a nick from the exchange. Farther south, an Incan frigate that had the nerve to bombard some of our troops just outside Teotihucan receives a similar fate to that of the Spanish destroyer. And with those victories, 1958 ends.

1958 IBT -

An interesting request. And certainly we could own the Babylonians if we wanted to. But in the spirit of world peace, we decline the opportunity to destroy Babylon. Because we all want world peace, right? You say no? You evil person! Wait, what? We're trying to conquer the world? Oh yes, of course. I forgot that. I suppose you aren't evil, just reading this thread's title. Well, I already decided to let Babylon live for now, but don't worry, once the rest of our wars are going well, they will also be incorporated into Greece.

An Incan Frigate (seems like there's always more of those) was foolish enough soon afterwards to try to bombard our Battleship that just owned a Spanish Destroyer. Really smart move there. Guess who the Battleship's next target is now?

But things quickly change from happy-go-lucky when I realize I entirely forgot about the troops the Inca landed on our native island, just outside Sparta. The situation is an Elite Cavalry and Veteran Medieval Infantry against our Fortified Veteran Hoplite in the City of Sparta. Even with defensive bonuses, the odds are stacked against us. But that's no reason to give up.

"Idiotic government. First they leave the east coast entirely undefended, then they refuse to draft troops when the second-oldest city in Greece is threatened by foreigners. And we're right down the road from them, nonetheless," complained Sparta's commander. "What do you think?"

"Sometimes I think our government's hardly more reliable than any of the foreign governments, with all their mindless tactics," replied the Captain he was with. "At least our offensives tend to be well-organized - but I'm mind-boggled by them here."

"Well, even if we are abandoned by Athens, I'm not letting my hometown fall without a fight," the Commander decided. "Let's go rally the men. They say Hoplites are still bringing home victories in Africa, let's pray to Athena they can bring home victory at the place of their perfection."

It didn't escape the men of the garrison that they were outnumbered by better-armed opponents. True, their tactics were superior, and they had the advantage of knowing the city, but given the circumstances they were, understandably, nervous. They hoped the Commander had something ingenious up his sleeve at his speech.

"Fellow Spartans, we have a great task before us. Never has a city on our native island faced such great peril. Yet the Incan forces are not insurmountable. Countless times have Hoplites withstood fiercer enemies - be it hordes or Persian Cavalry in India, machine gunners in Africa, French swordsmen in Australia, or volleys of Dutch arrows in Malaysia. We have a storied history, and it is now our task to add another chapter to that story. Our art may be ancient, but it is also legendary. And legends do not die easily. We are that legend incarnate. Men, we have prevailed countless times before to earn this reputation, let us keep it up now. These Inca are no more immortal than the previous enemies Hoplites have faced. Keep faith, care for your comrades, and remember the legendary power our tactics have shown the world in the past. Then the city shall never fall. We will win this battle, men. This is Sparta!!!"

The Hoplite defenders were renewed, restored of confidence, and fought like it. The Cavalry could only do slight damage, seemingly meeting with spears whenever they turned a street corner. Shocked and distraught, they eventually retreated, stupefied by the Spartan defence.

The Medieval Infantry then charged, and the Spartans met them not with stealth but with a wall of shields. With the same phalanx tactics used by the ancients, they systematically slaughtered wave after wave of the Incan invaders, and when the Inca tried to retreat, Spartans hidden near the edges of the city came out and cut them down. The Incan Colonel in charge of the invasion was absolutely stunned. He had heard the legends of the Hoplites, all military men in the world had, but he didn't believe it would actually play out now. He had went lost seven-eighths of his invasion force to an ancient opponent half his size - he wasn't sure whether he feared facing the Greeks again or facing his superiors more.

The Incan invasion was completely demolished by the Hoplites, but the resistence in Camulodunum could not be adequately suppressed by my Infantry.

The city will be retaken the next turn if at all possible.

And finishing the IBT on the same theme as it started, peace has spread its wings again and has saved the Chinese at least from fighting both the Byzantines and Mongols at once.

The Inca must have forgotten that THIS.... IS.... SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who needs Modern weapons when Hoplites pwn all? :spear:

An Incan Frigate (seems like there's always more of those) was foolish enough soon afterwards to try to bombard our Battleship that just owned a Spanish Destroyer. Really smart move there. Guess who the Battleship's next target is now?

This is Sparta!!!"

The Incan invasion was completely demolished by the Hoplites.

Peace has spread its wings again and has saved the Chinese at least from fighting both the Byzantines and Mongols at once.

"China and Mongols have signed a peace treaty."

You sure your not imagining things? I find it easy to believe that Sparta held against mid Infantry, but cavalry?!?!?

Horay for peace!!!:woohoo:

"And tomorrow's news predictions: Byzantum will join the Koreans in a crusade against the merciless Greeks, the Celts will get a second wind, Persia will realize their in a bad position, America & Inca will get less inteligent, and the Aztecs will die out. Stay tuned next week for 'World News'." ;) :hmm:

I'm afraid it will have to be the news of Next Week. I'm going to be extra-unbelievably-busy until at least 8:30 P.M. GMT on November 6th, and will probably be catching up on sleep for awhile after that. I know y'all have probably gotten used to frequent updates over the past week and a half, but real life is conspiring to prevent them now. I doubt I'll check CFC at all over the next week and a half, so keep on speculating.

Your speculations are interesting, though, because I've played five turns out and know what happens :p.

The Spartans did indeed defeat the full-health Elite Cavalry. The Greek propaganda department is not skilled enough to fake that, especially when Sparta has no other defenders. I was worried, too, not so much because of a Cavalry - the odds after all our bonuses were only 7.20 (Elite Cav) v. 5.25 (Vet Hoplite) - but because of both of them (11.20 v. 5.25). And we did extremely well, losing only one hitpoint! Spartans can do amazing things, though.

Well, hope you've enjoyed the Time of Many Updates, I'll be back in November to see who has the most accurate predictions.

Awww. oh well good luck and great story, go the Hoplites!

CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is funnier IMO.

Top Bottom