Conquest of the World

Ah... The power of the :spear:.

Gotta love technology!

Well, I know how archers andLongbowmen beat modern weaponry - they use magnesium-tipped arrows. Maybe Spearmen have something similar?

These Tanks were not in good health, so we could assume that they ran out of gas and the crewman were picked off as they tried to escape.

The tank that got :spear:'ed started off with all four hitpoints. So they really should have won - the Combat Calculator says less than a 1.2% chance of the Tank being destroyed, and a less than 0.16% chance of the Tank being destroyed and the Spearman not losing any hitpoints.

We must have really upset the RNG gods.

I'm guessing the tank maintenance guys forgot either adequate gasoline, or ammunition, or both. Either way, we hit the 1/600 odds and got :spear:
ed.

Funny how the last 8 posts used :spear: 7 times. CFC just loves using the :spear: smiley, don't we? It's so fun.

Now, Quintillius, this is very serious. You've upset the RNG gods, and this must be righted. Quickly. What have you been doing wrong?

Quintillus, how close are you to victory in the game? I haven't seen a world map for some time, so how much have you conquered so far?

Grats also on such a long game. Its been going on now for 7+ months, real time! Do you even bother to micro-manage your cities at this point or just use the governor option?

You may want to try taking that pic again, since a bunch of the cities are missing. :p

I've been reading this for a while and finally have gotten round to posting - so let me join in the chorus of praise for this story. It's breathtaking and completely absorbing. Keep up the good work! :goodjob:

I probably ought to mention that I know there's no World Map in the next update. I'm right at the 20-image limit with only pictures, so I'll post a World Map seperately after the post, possibly with other demographics as well.

What is the 20-image limit with only pictures?

There's a 20-image/post limit, and he's reached that limit using only screenshots from the game, so the WM/Demographics will be in the post after that.

Is the limit per thread or per post? And how can you post pics after the limit is reached?

It's per post. If it were 20 images per thread, this story would've hit the limit a looooooong time ago. You have to double-post if you have more than twenty images (technically pictures+smilies = images). That's why some of the sections in this story are over two posts.

The limit was 15 when I started the story, sometime along the way it got increased to 20.

1963 AD - We can't let that :spear:-man escape! We send in our Elite Mechanized Infantry.

It doesn't escape unscathed, but does show the Spearman who's boss.

Then we draft a conscript Mech Inf, switch it with a Veteran, and send the veteran to take the city.

It's a good thing we sent the Veteran instead of the Conscript, 'cuz the Conscript would've got owned by a Regular Spearman. 1963 was not a great year for technology.

1963 IBT - Sumeria decide to try to pull a Korea and lands three troops and a settler in Western Africa. But we're ready this time!

Persia then shoots itself in the toe by turning two of my enemies against each other. Oh well, I'm fine with Siberian war!

Persia then attacks Shanghai.

So much for 18 defense.

The Brits and Spanish are already fighting :D!

Portugal and China make peace. A smart move, if you ask me. Neither had any chance of winning.

1964 -

The Iron Works is completed in Alesia. Production leapfrogs into first place, at 66 shields per turn, even with a city size of only eight. We begin an Offshore Platform there so we can harvest even more shields from the Mediterranean.

Meanwhile, we set up a Helicopter factory in Madras to help in the invasion of Madagascar. Paratroopers just aren't strong enough, and besides, it's cheaper to use Helicopters than to build an airport.

I just notice that Corihuayrachina culture flipped back to the Inca. I hope it doesn't go back and forth too many times; it's one of the few cities for which I have to look at the name every time I type it. Even the Aztec cities are better.

We still don't have enough troops to take on the Hittites, but they aren't attacking our troops in the Ottoman jungle, either. Right now we're just sending a few shells at them every turn, but our aircraft carrier is finally arriving, so we ought to be ready to advance soon :D!

Those Sumerians are just asking to get owned trying to pull a Korea.

Theodoros Kolokotronis destroys the entire landing party, less the Settlers, who are captured. Still, even though they did just get owned, Sumeria isn't doing too bad for starting on Greenland.

Ulysses, meanwhile, is tasked with retaking Shanghai from the Imperialistic Persians.

He cuts down both defenders and one Infantry outside the city, and has seven hitpoints left. Our 4/5 Elite Mech Inf then fortifies in the city. It should be secure now.

After taking Shanghai, we start taking down the last of the English around Bergen and Valencia, a task we figured would pass uneventfully. But it didn't!

We get another Great Leader! We name this leader Agamemnon. He heads to Marathon and builds an Army, which we will fill when we have more tanks and Mech Inf. The Offshore Platform programme is currently diverting too many shields for us to have a surplus of tanks - but we've enough to keep our borders secure.

It takes Bombers to finish off the last English in the area, our Tanks being too injured to risk many attacks, but the Brits are destroyed. Were Spain not as weak as it is (34 food soldiers plus 6 Conquistadores), I'd be worried about England getting conquered. But England does have one significant advantage - a much larger, if obsolete, Ironclad Navy.

My next advance is to be against Beijing. Mao is in trouble. But, fortunately for him, lots of Persian troops are in China.

Persia may try to take Beijing from us if we take it first. It also occurs to me that taking Beijing may get me within range of Korean bombers. Fortunately I've already started training Flak in Sagres (Gobi Desert); if need be I'll ramp up Flak and Fighter production considerably. But ultimately disregarding the Bomber danger, we attack Beijing.

The attack goes well, though we became rather worried when an Elite Tank lost three hitpoints before damaging a Spearman. The Chinese capital falls.

We now interrupt your regular scheduled Greek domination for news from the Arctic. Sumeria has conquered - either that or culture flipped - the city of New Orleans from America.

St. Louis, meanwhile, remains Korean, and Tlacopan remains Aztec. We now return you to your regularly scheduled domination.

A Tank defeats two of the most treacherous Persian units by Beijing, and the troops in the area hunker down in case Korean Bombers attack. Across Asia, on the Korean Peninsula (or as near as you get on this map), a Greek Tank begins the Second Battle of Birka, the English having taken it in the first.

The English win the first round of this battle, as well.

The original owners, the Vikings, fare much worse in naval warfare than the English did in land warfare at Birka.

I love posting pictures of enemy ships in various states of falling apart.

The Iron Works in 1964? Better late than never I say. I have never seen it come so late in a game...

Was it because you didn't have a city with both coal and iron anywhere? I would have thought at this point in the game you could have built it.

Top Bottom